Solo butchering in bear country

For you experienced solo hunters... What precautions do you take against being surprised by a bear (or potentially cougar) when you start to quarter out a downed deer? Or do you not think about it?

Legend

WKR
Work fast and don't think about. I have also turned on my favorite tunes. Seems like a bear would at least hesitate with human voices. If it is at night I usually have a fire. Typically I am in gbear country and my fire can rival my old high-school Days!

Scrappy

WKR
I have very loud arguments with myself about everything but especially why I killed a critter so far from the vehicle. Ain't no way a bear will be surprised by my presence. He may not care and still take my critter but he will know I am there long before he gets to me.

Last edited:

Werty

WKR
I don't worry about my lions, g bears, look up frequently. One time I gutted my elk and drug it down the mountain, away from the timber to an open area. Also dont rush, that's when mistakes happen.

jmez

WKR
Grizzly bears check surroundings often. I don't worry about anything else.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Vek

FNG
Meat is carried to a spot which can be viewed from a distance up on return. Get things off of and away from the carcass ASAP. During the bone-out, build a big fire and don't be quiet about your life as noted.

tdot

WKR
Keep my rifle close and just keep my head on a swivel and go about the business at hand.

I had a very strange feeling that I was being watched while I processed a black bear last week.
I was definitely keeping an eye out more then usual, I just assumed it was my Father in Law, with bino's who was hunting in the same area. But when I got back from my first meat trip to retrieve the cape and last of the meat, I made sure to be singing and yelling and fortunately the wind was blowing towards the carcass cuz when I got there it had been moved and there was a huge pile of very fresh grizzly turd at the edge of the clearing where I'd been gutting the bear.

mtnkid85

WKR
Make noise while processing, get the meat moved away from the carcass to a place that you can see asap, then get it hung up if your making multiple trips over multiple days.

Ive often thought it would be quite funny to watch myself processing an animal while im alone, generally my throat hurts by the time im done from all the signing.

Read1t48

WKR
Work fast and don't think about. I have also turned on my favorite tunes. Seems like a bear would at least hesitate with human voices. If it is at night I usually have a fire. Typically I am in gbear country and my fire can rival my old high-school Days!

You are a brave man. I’ve always figured that by the time the bear or cat heard the music in my earbuds it would be too late!
I’m sure someone has heard me singing over the top of a carcass as the sun goes down.

Beendare

WKR
I have never had a problem....but I don't leave animals overnight. Thats when the bears are more likely to find them. I have no problem processing an animal in the dark with a good headlamp...its cooler anyway.

I do have animals in Alaska WY and MT...where I drug them out into an opening for more of an early warning. I have a pistol that I can transfer to my pants belt from my pack belt....and its ready to go....no empty chamber stuff.

But like I said, I haven't had a problem and I think its because I get them cut up quick....then stage the meat a little ways from the carcass when making multiple trips. Kodiak Blacktails I can get in one trip.

______

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
If in Grizzly country, then pay attention to it.
Black bears? No worries at all. Not an issue.
Thinking a lion will jump a person while processing a deer is absolutely silly.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Yea the only thing I would be concerned with if there's no Grizzly is wolves. Especially if you were solo. Having a pack come in on you when your dressing an animal would not be fun.

C.payne

WKR
In bear country I survey the surroundings when I take micro breaks, sing songs or talk to yourself out loud and always keep a loaded gun close by. Never had a major issue. Had to chase off a couple curious black bears once but they really don’t bother me.

LostArra

WKR
I get tunnel vision when field dressing an elk or deer especially at night and it's a bad habit. One time I got turned around by the time I finished and took off the wrong way for camp. I've never killed anything in griz country but would hope they would show up early before I did all the work.

Sitting here in front a computer it's easy to say lightning is probably more dangerous than bears but with lightning you don't know what hit you, with a bear, you probably do.

A lot of talk about "moving the animal." How about animals too big to be moved? I guess then it's just hope for the best.

Somebody mentioned tunnel vision and getting turned around.... been there, done that. I spend a lot of time in the woods, but I have a horrible sense of direction. As such, a GPS and compass is always in my pack.

Wolves... are wolves really a threat? You sure don't hear much about them.

Separate the meat a good distance from everything else if you can, whoop and holler your head off, pee around the perimeter....had to chase a brown bear off a moose the morning after the kill a few years ago, unarmed (went to retrieve the quarters, left rifle in camp)....wasn't fun, but it had to be done. Luckily he just took the head and ran for it.....

Id say predators would key in on any gut odors faster than any other odors. So if your worried, you might try the gutless method to reduce your chances of such an encounter. Obviously this will not eliminate chances of such an encounter.