Solo caribou hunting?

If I was in the business of transporting guys in to hunt remote areas, I wouldn't take solo hunters who hadn't been flying & hunting with me for a few years. The reasons are many, but it really just comes down to knowing a guy has what it takes to be alone....manage a kill....avoid trouble...and not somehow end up in difficulty that I'd have to deal with. ANY first trip to hunt Alaska is a major learning experience, and a good partner improves your chances of getting it done. I would've had no business going solo on my first few hunts there. Today...yes, it's very manageable and I'm comfortable doing it.

As a personal aside: I don't prefer bigger parties in camp, but that's really just more about my hunting style and (low) desire to socialize. I readily get that 4 or 5 buddies can have the time of their lives on a great 'bou adventure. I would just feel like part of a gang and I've always been a guy who likes to enjoy the quiet and solitude of the backcountry. This is where a prospective hunter needs to think about what they want from their trip, and don't make a big compromise just to get on a plane. Better to stay home and keep planning than to go and be disappointed.

For certain, guys will speak up quickly and say they're in....only to drop out sometime later. The best way to put a stop to that is for someone to be the trip organizer and collect a nonrefundable deposit. No spot is held for more than a week, unless a deposit is made. Then get a later, second payment to really secure the deal. Also, leadership by committee is a BAD idea. One guy needs to be driving the deal and making the ultimate decisions. He can get input from other people of course, but it's not wise to give everyone a vote on everything that needs decided. It may seem unfair, but it's the best way to avoid a tug-o-war or misunderstanding.

VernAK

WKR
Kevin summed it up quite well!

All too often I read comments from hunters about to try their first remote hunt as they intend to rely on their Sat Phone or Inreach if things get bad. Insecure hunters with today's comm have become a serious PIA for flight services and rescue authorities. The stories are many.

WCB

WKR
It may depend heavily on your experience right now? You said you hunt alone...what does that entail? camping by the truck? Hotel? Do you do solo week long backpack hunts?

If you are an experienced solo hunter from the standpoint of long time duration in the wilderness and are very comfortable there...then there is zero reason you couldn't do a solo caribou. I have acquaintances that have done it in a group of 2 or 3 guys and IMO they had zero business being there...I wouldn't want to hunt or rely on a single one of them, and them together is probably worse.

If you want to do it do it. Just make sure you are being realistic with yourself and as someone eluded to above, do not rely or expect to rely on communications as a fall back.

yojo.3

FNG
Id be down as only a couple of my buddies hunt and are not reliable or as ambitious to go on an alaskan hunt.

Joee

Lil-Rokslider
Your son is old enough to go caribou hunting. I took my son when he was that old. I’ll be taking my younger son caribou hunting next year and he’ll be 8. Fly in hunts.

AKBorn

WKR
The short version of my question is anyone from the lower 48 ever go on Caribou hunt by themselves. Or is this a terrible idea.

I mainly hunt by myself right now. My son will only be turning 12, so we’re probably at least six years out before he’d be able to make this kind of trip. It seems like most kinds of fly in service or semi guided outfitters want a minimum of two if not more. Has anyone ever experienced being added on as a third wheel to a hunting party?

Your son would count as one of the two parties that the transporters prefer (over solo hunters) if you and he are ready. It's very possible he could be ready mush sooner than 6 years out. I was born in Ak, and my Dad started taking me hunting with him for at least a week every fall when I was 4 years old. I had to carry my toy rifle for 2 seasons treating it like a real gun, to prove that I understood that safety was paramount; by successfully doing that, I got to start carrying a single shot .22 (unloaded) when I was 6; we would load it up when we came across rabbits or ptarmigan. This progression got me up to carrying a .44 Magnum carbine when I was 9, and I shot my first caribou when I was 11 - with my Dad's .308, a rifle I had never shot before that day (open country and too far for my .44 Mag).

Kids will amaze you with what they can accomplish, when a vision and goal is set before them that they think they want to achieve. I got outstanding grades all through elementary and high school, just because I didn't want to miss out on that week's hunting for moose and caribou every fall. It was made very clear to me that if I didn't perform in school, I would be a weekend hunter.

AKBorn

WKR
Caribou and kids go to like PB&J. It's often a target rich environment, you base from a fixed camp, and they are extremely susceptible to rifle hunting tactics. And unlike moose, they are easily handled by one person when you have one on the ground. A caribou was my first big game animal as it has been for a few thousand other alaskan kids.

Not only would I take a 12 yr old, I'd make sure he had a tag.

I agree with Yellowknife 100%. On many caribou hunts you may be seeing animals throughout the day, which helps keep a kid engaged. Last fall on our 40 Mile hunt we were seeing over 150 animals per day.

The short version of my question is anyone from the lower 48 ever go on Caribou hunt by themselves. Or is this a terrible idea.

I mainly hunt by myself right now. My son will only be turning 12, so we’re probably at least six years out before he’d be able to make this kind of trip. It seems like most kinds of fly in service or semi guided outfitters want a minimum of two if not more. Has anyone ever experienced being added on as a third wheel to a hunting party?
Why can’t you take your son? I’m not flying but using a boat to access my hunting ground and I’ll be bringing my 9 and 7 year old along for the first three days.

Rich M

WKR
maybe try to expand your buddy list. use local forums, clubs (hunting, shooting, BHA, etc), civic groups to find more like minded individuals to expand your network.
IMO, no way. I did this on an antelope hunt and guy changed his personality for opening day. No way would I go with someone I haven't known well for at least 10 years. Your life may depend on it.

AKBorn

WKR
IMO, no way. I did this on an antelope hunt and guy changed his personality for opening day. No way would I go with someone I haven't known well for at least 10 years. Your life may depend on it.

Sorry that your experience sucked...I have had the opposite experience, doing remote flyout Alaska hunts with guys I met on here or on Hunttalk. Have found 5-6 different hunt partners that way, and every one has been a good hunt partner and a good guy.