Solo Elk Hunting in Grizzly Country

Chazz

FNG
Who hear has done this?
Ever regretted the decision?
I have solo elk hunted before just not in grizzly country. Might try Montana this season.
What are your thoughts???

I do it pretty regularly, never had an issue. Don’t regret it or think it is irresponsible. It’s just one thing to be aware of and take some extra precautions, keep a really clean camp, hang food, eat/clean/cook in a seperate location, carry bear spray/pistol (I carry both). Make sure they are always on you, neither will do you any good otherwise.
Be smart when you get something down, hang it high enough and away from carcass/guts, preferably somewhere where you can glass in before approaching. Don’t linger around meat tree/carcass.

danarnold

WKR
Mt in 2014 , made it hard to nap for me mid day. a guy in our group tagged out, we went to pack it out next day to find the carcass buried.
I scored a +350 bull after going solo for 8 days, I'd def do it again. never saw a bear but had a close encounter with a wolverine tho

This year we saw 7 individual grizzlies in 4 days of hunting, and some hunters told us there was another waiting downwind of us to claim our elk carcass. So 8 bears in 4 days. I'm not sure I could go on solo after seeing that many. If I were just seeing tracks or poop here and there might make it easier. I know I wouldn't sleep for shit.

OP
Chazz

Chazz

FNG
This year we saw 7 individual grizzlies in 4 days of hunting, and some hunters told us there was another waiting downwind of us to claim our elk carcass. So 8 bears in 4 days. I'm not sure I could go on solo after seeing that many. If I were just seeing tracks or poop here and there might make it easier. I know I wouldn't sleep for shit.

Wow! Montana or Wyoming?

Pscott19

FNG
I do it pretty regularly, never had an issue. Don’t regret it or think it is irresponsible. It’s just one thing to be aware of and take some extra precautions, keep a really clean camp, hang food, eat/clean/cook in a seperate location, carry bear spray/pistol (I carry both). Make sure they are always on you, neither will do you any good otherwise.
Be smart when you get something down, hang it high enough and away from carcass/guts, preferably somewhere where you can glass in before approaching. Don’t linger around meat tree/carcass.
👍

FLAK

WKR
Its not the hunting in Grizz country alone that would worry me, its the sleeping part. Don't think I would get any sleep.

Done this many times in Idaho and Montana. As others said, be prepared and aware and things will almost always work out....the chance for an exception keeps me on my toes a little more. Love that experience.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Elk97

WKR
It's definitely something to seriously consider. Personally I do it but don't enjoy hiking in/out when it's dark, especially when every downed rotten tree has been torn up and most rocks have been turned over. It's distracting. I carry both pistol and spray but know that neither will be of much use in the dark. I enjoy hunting areas that have very few griz much more when solo, but the dang elk seem to like the same areas as the damn bears.

I suppose I solo elk hunt in grizzly country all the time. There are always grizz warnings in the regulations, and stories of grizz showing up, but it’s pretty rare I think, unless you go way north near unit 1.
I live and hunt in unit 1, and I hunt alone often. I have mostly been hunting with my father-in-law during bow season in the last few years, though. Two years ago a walked back an obliterated Forest Service road alone in a place known for bears, and I came upon what looked like an ungulate graveyard about two and a half miles in. I saw the remains of more than a half dozen moose and elk calves and deer. The last half of my walk out was in the dark. It was a bit spooky, but I never saw a bear.

JohnnyB

WKR
My first time hunting in grizzly country just outside West Yellowstone I carried a 300 win mag strapped to my pack, a short barreled 12 gauge in my hands a 10mm in a chest holster and bear spray on my pack belt. By day two I lost the 12 gauge. Day three I was back to myself, falling asleep in meadows and losing track of time (likely due to shear exhaustion from carrying all that weight and all that angst).

Now I treat it like I do swimming or diving in the Pacific. I know they are there. I take precautions. I enjoy my activities and realize a chance encounter with an apex predator would be awesome (if survived).

Just be smart and enjoy it.

I live and hunt in unit 1, and I hunt alone often. I have mostly been hunting with my father-in-law during bow season in the last few years, though. Two years ago a walked back an obliterated Forest Service road alone in a place known for bears, and I came upon what looked like an ungulate graveyard about two and a half miles in. I saw the remains of more than a half dozen moose and elk calves and deer. The last half of my walk out was in the dark. It was a bit spooky, but I never saw a bear.

Unit 1 is the only place I’ve ever seen a grizz. I was spring bear hunting, and hiked onto deer ridge and stayed up in the lookout tower. Glassing from the top of the tower, we spotted two separate grizzlies. I saw another one in a strawberry field two days later (although I suspect it was one of those bears I glassed earlier).

weaver

WKR
I have in the past and will again.
Kinda like driving a car on the freeway. Stay focused and aware of your surroundings and you'll probably be fine.
There's always the chance of a bad situation that you can't see coming.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
Chazz

Chazz

FNG
My first time hunting in grizzly country just outside West Yellowstone I carried a 300 win mag strapped to my pack, a short barreled 12 gauge in my hands a 10mm in a chest holster and bear spray on my pack belt. By day two I lost the 12 gauge. Day three I was back to myself, falling asleep in meadows and losing track of time (likely due to shear exhaustion from carrying all that weight and all that angst).

Now I treat it like I do swimming or diving in the Pacific. I know they are there. I take precautions. I enjoy my activities and realize a chance encounter with an apex predator would be awesome (if survived).

Just be smart and enjoy it.
I hunted near west Yellowstone once to. Was very on edge the first couple days then back to normal. Never saw a grizzly in 10 days. Only tracks and scatt.

My hunting partner was charged by a grizzly last September in Montana. I was about 200 yards away when it happened. Luckily, he was able to spray it as it charged to within 10 feet of him. After that, we were on edge for the rest of our trip, and it really hindered how hard and late we hunted during the rest of our trip. Before the charge, we were aware of grizzlies in the area, but really had no true "fear" of them. Suddenly realizing that you're not at the top of the food chain is a nerve racking feeling.