Solo Elk Hunting in Grizzly Country

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
Not elk but living in AK, 100% of the moose hunting I do is in bear country.
Did a 10 day solo fly in moose hunt in Alaska 2015. In hindsight I probably won't do that again. Never saw a bear, but on two occasions a set of new tracks would show up overnight within 200 yards of my camp (kept a super clean camp, no oils or grease, cleaned everything in the lake). Shot a bull on day 6, sat phoned pilot and flew out on day 8, by then the carcass was covered by ravens and when the pilot landed he said "There's a big ole Griz on your carcass". I started reevaluating all my choices.

44Sam

FNG
Who hear has done this?
Ever regretted the decision?
I have solo elk hunted before just not in grizzly country. Might try Montana this season.
What are your thoughts???
Hunted and camped in backcountry of Montana at least a dozen times , keep a clean camp , and electric fence for a permanent camp if you want it to be there on your return for both griz and blacks . I sleep like a baby out there . The warm weather would be your bigger problem than bears .See bears almost every trip , Had a huge mountain lion walk thru camp last fall , that was cool

Unit 1 is the only place I’ve ever seen a grizz. I was spring bear hunting, and hiked onto deer ridge and stayed up in the lookout tower. Glassing from the top of the tower, we spotted two separate grizzlies. I saw another one in a strawberry field two days later (although I suspect it was one of those bears I glassed earlier).
The place I was hunting wasn't that far from Deer Ridge Lookout. It was in the Purcell Range. About 10 years ago, a bear hunter was killed after a grizzly attack on the other side of Deer Creek drainage, near the Montana border. He had mistakenly shot the grizzly, thinking it was a black bear, but he only wounded it. The grizzly mauled him when they were tracking it in thick brush, and his partner shot the bear again to try to stop the attack, but the bullet passed through the bear and killed the hunter being mauled.

rambo2345

WKR
I have seen Grizzlies in other parts of Montana while elk hunting. Never had one charge me but I was very cautious of them. Hunting is a solo sport but if I did have an issue I would want someone in camp to come to my aid when I didnt show up.

bline

FNG
I used to do it a lot and never had any problems. Now that I have kids I usually avoid the areas where grizzlies are common when I'm alone. Just like everyone else is saying, be aware and keep a clean camp. I always carry a SRH Alaskan and usually carry bear spray.

mtnkid85

WKR
I do it, the majority of my hunting is solo in griz country and had my first significant run in with a bear this past year. It only took ~15 years.
Be bear aware and be well practiced with what ever you choose to defend yourself with.

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
I do it, the majority of my hunting is solo in griz country and had my first significant run in with a bear this past year. It only took ~15 years.
Be bear aware and be well practiced with what ever you choose to defend yourself with.

What was your run in?

-- Scott

Tuck56

FNG
Hey fellas, I've put in for the General Elk tag in MT, 2022. I'll be shooting my bow. This will be my first time in MT. Grizzlies are definitely a concern. I would like to put in for the draw but I have no idea which unit to put in for? Anyone able to pm me any thought? I'd appreciate it and could share some North NM info as well as Central CO. Thanks.

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
Hey fellas, I've put in for the General Elk tag in MT, 2022. I'll be shooting my bow. This will be my first time in MT. Grizzlies are definitely a concern. I would like to put in for the draw but I have no idea which unit to put in for? Anyone able to pm me any thought? I'd appreciate it and could share some North NM info as well as Central CO. Thanks.

Montana game regs have a map showing which part of the state has grizzly that should get you pointed in the right direction.

Who hear has done this?
Ever regretted the decision?
I have solo elk hunted before just not in grizzly country. Might try Montana this season.
What are your thoughts???
Can’t worry about the local wildlife 😉

I say use it to your advantage, lots of folks don’t like hunting around them, which is a benefit if you are ok with it.

I have not hunted in grizz country but plan on moving to Wyoming in a few years, and will be looking for places in grizz country, I have heard enough say they won’t hunt around them that if it reduces pressure at all, I will take big bears any day.

It’s the boogie man effect, the thought of them is scary, but we face more hazards in normal life and never bat an eye… of course respect their capabilities, use common sense and be proactive, but I wouldn’t think twice about it, and would choose their habitat to hunt if it keeps even a few people out… or walking in late and leaving early not wanting to walk in the dark… I see them as a benefit more than a hazard

LostArra

WKR
Can’t worry about the local wildlife 😉

I say use it to your advantage, lots of folks don’t like hunting around them, which is a benefit if you are ok with it.

I have not hunted in grizz country but plan on moving to Wyoming in a few years, and will be looking for places in grizz country, I have heard enough say they won’t hunt around them that if it reduces pressure at all, I will take big bears any day.

It’s the boogie man effect, the thought of them is scary, but we face more hazards in normal life and never bat an eye… of course respect their capabilities, use common sense and be proactive, but I wouldn’t think twice about it, and would choose their habitat to hunt if it keeps even a few people out… or walking in late and leaving early not wanting to walk in the dark… I see them as a benefit more than a hazard
I also wondered about some grizz "advantage" until I recently met with my college roommates who are life long Wyo residents and hunters (in their late 60's) who have taken elk, moose,sheep, pronghorn in the state. They are all hardcore hunting veterans and all live or have lived in Wyoming counties having bears.

Some of their best old elk hunting spots have become bear havens and with the wolves joining the fun the elk hunting has become difficult and even poor in some areas. On one hunt in Teton county they saw 9 bears, two wolves and no elk. My friends have successfully moved on to other areas because the bear encounter risk, though small (at least until you have a dead elk on the ground), wasn't worth the decreasing elk opportunities for whatever reason.

My takeaway was that all pressure on game might not be from humans.

Elk97

WKR
People do it, I'm not a fan. Guy I met last year hunts alone, camps 7 miles in in very heavy griz area. I hunt alone in areas that have griz, but not in high density areas, too distracting, especially when trying to break down an elk by yourself.

Tuck56

FNG
What caliber of pistol would you carry for Grizzlies. I heard talk of a 45 mm not being sufficient. I am not a gun guy. I'd prefer to shoot my elk with an arrow, but I'll bring a gun for protection/peace of mind. I heard a story of someone using a 20mm to bring down a charging Griz after a 45 didn't do it.

Elk97

WKR
What caliber of pistol would you carry for Grizzlies. I heard talk of a 45 mm not being sufficient. I am not a gun guy. I'd prefer to shoot my elk with an arrow, but I'll bring a gun for protection/peace of mind. I heard a story of someone using a 20mm to bring down a charging Griz after a 45 didn't do it.
Several threads on this. You'll get lots of different opinions. Personally I prefer at least 44 mag but a lot depends on what you shoot well.

Just be prepared. 10mm/bear spray/etc... There's always the risk of running into them. There's a ton of people who do it, the media just doesn't write articles of the man who went out hunting in grizzly country and came back without seeing one...