Solo Elk Hunting

I love it.Until the bull hits the ground.The older you get,the harder the 'hit the ground' part becomes.Sadly am bearing down on my last elk hunts and they will have to be less remote or have RELIABLE packing assistance.
Garmin In Reach is a great aid in that respect.
this would be a good time to find some young eager hunter who you can show the ropes, and he can do the packing.... there are a lot of young guys not trying to get insta-famous, just trying to learn how to hunt, who wants to do it because it's a fun thing to do.... find one of them, you will have a lot to offer to each other. I know easier said than done, but there are young guys out there wanting to learn, and overwhelmed with the thought of going alone.

When you can't get it done (pack out) , it's time to quit. Suck it up and do what it takes.
I don't really agree.... my wife just started hunting, and has a bad back, can't pack much weight (and I won't let her) she killed her first buck and bull this year, I packed both out for her of course.... if someone can't get it done, they just need to stay within their means and have a plan... there are generally folks around to help, and if someone gets that lined up prior to killing something, they should go hunting.

we all have limited abilities in some aspect of our lives, friends and family help friends and family (I have gave my number to strangers in the woods to help them pack critters if they knock one down)

I would go as far to say I bet over half of the folks that hunt cannot get a whole elk out of the woods themselves if it was much of a pack..... as long as someone has a plan, they should stay in the woods.

SoDaky

WKR
Nailed it again Rosie.Have tried the 'young guy' thing.Found out the real important 'muscles' are in the head.Most don't have those.Will keep on hunting and looking.And 'getting it done' as stated by the internet muscle heads.

OP
D
Thanks for the continued advice! I helped pack out an elk in 18' with a group where we put on about 15 miles that day with around 100 lb packs. I understand the physical nature and beast this can be and my workout will be focused on ensuring I can handle that. Yes, mentally might be the largest struggle which is the toughest to actually prepare for. With some of the earlier advice with music, books, journal, and I add in family videos from my phone that will help keep me motivated. In 18' I had my little boy record a video with a simple, "I love you and go shoot the big one." Just hearing his voice really gave me all the motivation I needed keep grinding everyday.

All summer I plan on solo day hikes, overnights, etc to continue to help expose me to the different scenarios. Build confidence in myself, my gear, and abilities and prepare as best as I can. In the end, I don't want to over complicate the situation, but plan as much as I can with my knowledge.

Chazz

FNG
For me the hunting solo was fine. It was the nights at camp alone that get very boring very fast. Wish I would have brought a book or downloaded some podcast or book.

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
My very little experience says do not rely on OnX as a primary GPS in the elk woods solo backcountry.

OnX is very nice but not reliable enough as a GPS

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I have never had a problem with Onyx on my Garmin GPS. Maybe it's your smart phone?

Whatever it is it has been a common concern for several OnX users. The loss of a directional compass deep in timber on a cloudy day gets hairy when the tracking also fails to work.

So in lieu of that, I recommend a compass as well.

Dont get me wrong. For $20 a year OnX is really nice to have and I really like having it. My biggest issue with it is it encourages me to have my phone on in the woods. I want to be in the woods to hunt, not on my phone. That's neither here nor there tho.

Wow, thanks for all that took the time to provide all great feedback! I have been elk hunting once prior with a 3 man group, so that definitely has helped me prepare. I did split off for a solo day hunt when I was there whish was awesome! But we all came back to the same camp each night. I think mentally in the dark/night might be my largest struggle. I planned on bringing some music or podcast to help fill that void here and there. The pack out will be the most physically demanding and I hope to literally take it one step at a time. I've been hiking/training with weighted packs for that. Been listening to a ton of podcasts about taking care of meat, tips to keeping it cold, etc.

Indian Summer - I've been looking for a good, committed hunter partner for years and unfortunately just haven't found the right fit. Yes, a hunter partner is priceless, but I can't let that deter me from ever going. I only have so many opportunities to hunt out west, so I can't let them keep slipping through my fingers just cuz of no hunting partner.
Sounds to me like you have the right attitude to go solo.

I hunted with partners for four years and it was frankly, exhausting. Last year I hunted solo, and I may never go back to hunting with other people unless it's my son.

It all boils down to what kind of experience you are looking for. For the life of me, I don't know why people go to remote places to have a social event. I can do that right here where I live. Personally, I go to remote places specifically to get the he!! away from people and the longer the better. LOL

Don't get me wrong - I'm a people person and I like social time. But that ain't what the woods and the mountains are all about for me.

87TT

WKR
Whatever it is it has been a common concern for several OnX users. The loss of a directional compass deep in timber on a cloudy day gets hairy when the tracking also fails to work.

So in lieu of that, I recommend a compass as well.

Dont get me wrong. For $20 a year OnX is really nice to have and I really like having it. My biggest issue with it is it encourages me to have my phone on in the woods. I want to be in the woods to hunt, not on my phone. That's neither here nor there tho.
My understanding is onyx is a map service, not a GPS. If you have issue with tracking or compass, it's your device not the map. I did have problems with the compass in the Garmin but it was caused by the magnetic closer in my bino harness. Ditched that and no more compass issues.

Marble

WKR
My understanding is onyx is a map service, not a GPS. If you have issue with tracking or compass, it's your device not the map. I did have problems with the compass in the Garmin but it was caused by the magnetic closer in my bino harness. Ditched that and no more compass issues.
I felt pretty silly walking in circles one late night trying to find my horse. Stupid magnet. I still have the same Garmin and pack, I just am cognizant of its ability to screw with me.

Looking like I am pulling a solo this year to CO. Would be my second time elk hunting. Because this is my first time and I dont want to bit off more than I can chew, going to base camp from my truck and trailer.

I hear a lot of folks saying you dont have to go 10 miles deep to shoot an elk. I have shot many deer in close overlooked places where hunters walk past. Does anyone have personal experience shooting an elk within 2 miles of a trail head? Not trying to shoot a BC record, I would be happy to have a couple of encounters.

Archery, late Sept for reference.

I did truck camp for the first several years while learning the elk ropes and accumulating gear. And was killing elk within a mile or 2 from forest roads. Truck camp has its advantages. Ribeyes, sleep, getting clean, and changing into clean clothes frequently. I did truck camp last year after Backcountry hunting 2015-2018. And I must say, I liked it!

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
if you take a few 3 day solo deer hunting trips within 4 hours of home it will ease you into longer trips.
i will even go in for a few days squirrel hunting just to be outside.

you will learn your routine and camp set up which makes longer trips much easier.