Solo Elk Hunting

87TT

WKR
Sounds like a phone issue to me. The Garmin has an Onyx chip installed in it. Don't know if that's possible on a phone. It is just a memory chip.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I echo the people who say that the mental part is much more difficult than the physical part. If you have a tough pack in or a long day you can always take it easy the next day. Hiking back to camp at night, laying in a tent solo, and not talking to people for days on end can wear on you. You mind will do crazy things that are different for each individual and almost impossible to foresee. When you work through it all its really rewarding in the end.

The advice I will give is make sure you have everything on the home front in line. Bills paid, happy wife, relationships in order. Don't leave the little things in your life laying around in the back of your mind because they will eat at you. You will come up with any and all excuses to justify going back to the trail head or camping at your truck. Set a date that you want to come out if you don't fill a tag and stick to it. Its easier said than done. I've both stuck it out and left early and it's a pretty humbling experience to come out of good elk country on a trip you have been planning all year just because you weren't mentally prepared

TravKatQ

WKR
I did my first real long solo archery elk hunt last year in New Mexico for 14 days and I would say the hardest part is staying focused mentally! I missed a giant bull on day 6 of the hunt and without a buddy there to keep your spirits up it was tuff on me. Took a break one afternoon on day 8 and had a beer at the nearest town bar while I went to refill on water and gas and kept at it! Was able to kill my biggest bull to date. Stay focused till the end!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'm missing the "mental" part of being without a hunting buddy for a long period of time. I guess I'm just weird? I've been alone in the mountains for well over a week, and when my hunting partner showed up, I felt a little inconvenienced actually. I had developed a routine and he was jacking with it. LOL

Now, two weeks without my wife, that's a different story. That is tough on me. If she ever started hunting with me, then I think we'd just build a log cabin and live there until the authorities showed up. LOL

I echo the people who say that the mental part is much more difficult than the physical part. If you have a tough pack in or a long day you can always take it easy the next day. Hiking back to camp at night, laying in a tent solo, and not talking to people for days on end can wear on you. You mind will do crazy things that are different for each individual and almost impossible to foresee. When you work through it all its really rewarding in the end.

The advice I will give is make sure you have everything on the home front in line. Bills paid, happy wife, relationships in order. Don't leave the little things in your life laying around in the back of your mind because they will eat at you. You will come up with any and all excuses to justify going back to the trail head or camping at your truck. Set a date that you want to come out if you don't fill a tag and stick to it. Its easier said than done. I've both stuck it out and left early and it's a pretty humbling experience to come out of good elk country on a trip you have been planning all year just because you weren't mentally prepared

Yeah and if the perceived things that go bump in the night aren't enough, wait until the real thing happens. Bears in camp aren't fun ;)

My biggest concern about elk solo is getting the meat out by myself. A couple miles into steep country and I'd be looking at a 3-4 day effort. Having a packer lined up would be the way to go there, but that adds another 300-400 bucks to the cost of the trip.

My wife would tell you her biggest concern is me getting hurt somewhere in the waybacks and not being able to get help, which is a legitimate concern, especially after my back surgery.

My decision to hunt mule deer last season was made primarily because I planned to hunt solo. I knew I could get a muley out in two trips by myself and I also knew that I probably wouldn't need to go as deep to find one. It was a good decision and that will be my plan going forward - solo muley hunts. If I chase elk again, it will be with my son.

87TT

WKR
My biggest concern about elk solo is getting the meat out by myself. A couple miles into steep country and I'd be looking at a 3-4 day effort. Having a packer lined up would be the way to go there, but that adds another 300-400 bucks to the cost of the trip.

My wife would tell you her biggest concern is me getting hurt somewhere in the waybacks and not being able to get help, which is a legitimate concern, especially after my back surgery.

My decision to hunt mule deer last season was made primarily because I planned to hunt solo. I knew I could get a muley out in two trips by myself and I also knew that I probably wouldn't need to go as deep to find one. It was a good decision and that will be my plan going forward - solo muley hunts. If I chase elk again, it will be with my son.
Getting an elk out has always been my biggest concern also. At 67 yrs old I have to know my limitations and try to hunt accordingly. I have managed to get my elk out by myself the last two years (thank you EXO) but who knows the future. I know a guy local who has horses and has said he would come pack one out if needed and may need him in the future.
My wife also worries some when I'm out alone. I carry my InReach in my bino harness and make sure it is charged. She knows that I hunt because it's who I am and encourages me. I don't plan on stopping for at least another 10 or 15 years maybe more. Stay in shape and stay safe out there.

Getting an elk out has always been my biggest concern also. At 67 yrs old I have to know my limitations and try to hunt accordingly. I have managed to get my elk out by myself the last two years (thank you EXO) but who knows the future. I know a guy local who has horses and has said he would come pack one out if needed and may need him in the future.
My wife also worries some when I'm out alone. I carry my InReach in my bino harness and make sure it is charged. She knows that I hunt because it's who I am and encourages me. I don't plan on stopping for at least another 10 or 15 years maybe more. Stay in shape and stay safe out there.
67 eh? That's inspiring. Means I might have at least 17 more years to do this. Thanks!

Yep, My Dad's 88 and although he was never much of a hunter, he still works on his old cars and tractor. Had the engine out last time I was down to visit.
That's just kind of that generation, especially out west. My grandfather was still working livestock in the TX panhandle at 94. Last time I spent with him was helping him break ice on troughs in the morning. He was 93 then.

On top of the great advice of everyone else, not sure if it was mentioned to bring an emergency contact device. I've done mostly solo deer hunts, a lot of scouting and just a solo day cow elk hunt which was thankfully successful.

The inReach was the lightest emergency device so I feel much more comfortable in case of really need help. It has an SOS button which relays long/lat data to emergency response office, plus can synch with your phone to make texting easy. I use OnX for my GPS but the inReach also can be used as a GPS. Peace of mind was worth the monthly bill of something like $14/mo., plus can turn it off if not going out.

Enjoy!

Don’t let your mind want to take you home. My thoughts are if you spent all this time away from family to try to get an animal to feed
Them, why cut it short? They know you see hunting they know what’s going on, stay out. After day 4 it’s all gravy. My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro