Solo Elk Hunting

87TT

WKR
That's what I do as well. I will only turn it on if there is some technical terrain or deadfall. If it is clear with even a sliver of moon you'll probably be able to see well enough as long as you aren't in a closed canopy forest. Lowest setting on the headlamp if you need it though.
I have an old headlamp that the strap broke off. I carry it in my hand if needed and let just enough light through my fingers to keep from tripping on stuff.

Marble

WKR
That's what I do as well. I will only turn it on if there is some technical terrain or deadfall. If it is clear with even a sliver of moon you'll probably be able to see well enough as long as you aren't in a closed canopy forest. Lowest setting on the headlamp if you need it though.
I'm the same way. I see rather well at night. I do t like how the headlamp washes out peripheral vision.

Sled

WKR
on a half moon or better it works well to leave the light off in open country. the problem is most of my hiking is in dark timber and not very easy to see in even with a full moon.

Finch

WKR
Great thread! I'll also be going at it alone this year. Well, sorta...still planning on taking the wife and kids cross-country with me but I'll be hunting solo each day.

Jacack

WKR
Been hunting elk solo last three years, sometimes I wish a had a good caller with me but most of the time I rather be alone.

Not just a solo tip but one it took two times for me to learn. Dont stop to take a break/snack or whatever without a arrow knocked and your bow close.

Twice in my first year i sat to eat a bit both mid morning and had nice bulls appear out of nowhere and almost walk right into me and never make a sound until they where inside 10yards.

Second tip. Don't get into a area your not prepared to pack one out of. I made that mistake once and after a brutal all-night pack out I think about it before bombing off into some hell hole

Sapcut

WKR
I plan to go elking entirely solo this year for first time, unless I see there is a better option that makes sense. I guess there can be positives and negatives as so many have mentioned. I think in some situations it can be like I remember getting my best 40 yard dash times in college. It was always when I ran with a partner that kept pushing me to win. I guess it can be the same when bowhunting elk if you get the right partner.

TomJoad

WKR
I've only ever hunted elk solo backpacking so I don't have the perspective around the benefits of group or partner hunts. For me the best preparation is solo hiking off season. Hunting is so much harder than standard backpacking but a lot of the mental and physical aspects can be trained for well with solo backpacking trips. several times a year I pick a spot on the map that I have never been to (off trail) and spend a few days finding my way there and back. You will learn a lot about navigation, self reliance and you will have less gear to haul or be concerned with (as well as less weather if its summer). This is also a great way to tune all of your different kits (cooking, sleeping, shelter, filtration) and cut some fat out of your pack for when you will have a lot more weight during a hunt. I'm not a fan of music or evening listening. I use these trips as a way to practice mindfulness and not try to get out of my head, instead just sit with the silence and learn to be ok with it.

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 56 and I'm headed to CO for OTC archery elk in September for the first time ever. I went elk hunting in 1999 with a partner and never been back west. Like a couple other posters, I always thought next year, or I'd find someone, or whatever. I started buying points in WY and AZ a few years ago but I realized I don't want to go first time on a killer tag and be clueless, so I decided one way or another I was going somewhere this year.

I've been unable to find anyone with any interest to head west, so I started over the winter to prepare for going solo. I started out like a rookie - thinking go deep, back in, etc., but eventually reality hit me and at 56 with a knee that's a candidate for replacement, I switched over to truck camping and focused on units where I felt like I had a shot at getting an elk within 2 miles of the truck and not needing to become an Everest climber to navigate it. I still have gear to pack in if I feel like I need it for a day or two.

My single recommendation for anyone reading this is to just go - find a way to get somewhere. If I could go back in time 10 years and go west I would have found a way to do so. I have a friend who is 33 that I know wants to go but he thinks he has time. I'm trying my best to get him there but so far no luck.