Solo Elk Quartering

MrBHSir

FNG
I’m hopefully headed to Colorado for my first archery elk hunt solo this fall. I was wondering how everyone quarters up an elk solo. Do you use lightweight pulleys? Or a lightweight wench? Or do you just try and man handle it? Thanks for any advice in advance.
I agree having 550 cord is very helpful. You can get creative attaching it to aid in the process. I hike with a trekking pole... It comes in handy to prop up a quarter while detaching it from either the front or back of the animal

I know most people leave the head on til last that I have seen. I feel like doing this solo, it would be beneficial to cut the head off first? Ive never cut the head off first myself. Thoughts on this?
I tend to use the head as my anchor point but most of the elk I kill will roll if you let them. I am inspired not by killing elk but by having guys watch me from one of the turnouts on the logging road as I climb 1600 feet in a mile. Most of the time they are there to take a look, most say ”Jesus Mister, you’re old”

Leibhart1

FNG
Gutless method and debone quarters. Makes for a much easier pack out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m hopefully headed to Colorado for my first archery elk hunt solo this fall. I was wondering how everyone quarters up an elk solo. Do you use lightweight pulleys? Or a lightweight wench? Or do you just try and man handle it? Thanks for any advice in advance.
If you've hung a deer on a gambrel... Quarter and use tendons to hang on tree limbs. They'll cool as you continue to work. You can put game bags on while they hang. Then you can lay them down to cut the lower leg off while all the meat is staying clean in the bag. Used this process for deer and elk.