Solo hunter

I go solo alot only because i have weekdays off.

I have good partners id rather hunt with instead of solo missioning especially on pack trips. I dont really see any better hunting on solo because the guys i go with have the same ideas on how to hunt. Its nice to have someone to game plan with when its go time.

A bad partner can ruin a hunt though

I usually hunt solo and prefer it. It can get a little creepy when out for multiple days but a couple shots of whiskey usually makes a good companion back at camp.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
When I hunt the backcountry it's always solo but I prefer it that way.

Advantages:
-The only expectations are mine
-I hunt harder
-I feel much more focused
-Nature is my religion so it's a great time to relax and reflect
-Only way to get entirely away from big city life

Disadvantages:
-can be lonely and no one to share the experience with
-much more of mental battle especially on a hunt with poor weather or lack of game
-packing out an animal yourself can be tough
-safety is certainly an issue so I always have my inReach on me

rolocasi

FNG
Great info on the thread. I love taking pictures of the trophy once it’s down, love capturing the moment on camera. Not entire difficult with a tripod, but a partner would sure as hell help get some quality pics (maybe, I guess. I have had partners who can’t take pictures to save their life, but most do). That being said, I prefer solo, or camping together and splitting off in different ways while hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mntnguide

WKR
Im a pretty constant Solo hunter. After spending 10 years guiding, i guess i just really enjoy being by myself in the mountains. I like doing what i want to do for the reasons i come up with, and dont want to worry about someone else not wanting to push as hard or far etc. I also put a ridiculous amount of time into my scouting all summer for highcountry bucks and bulls, and though i have great hunting friends, I am not overly excited about sharing the hard work i put forth to someone else. I solo hunt both with a backpack and horses. Almost all my hunting is multi-day overnight backcountry hunts. I was lucky enough this year to harvest a 200" buck and 360" bull on solo OTC hunts. I credit the success to my scouting, but also to my ability to just go with what i know i wanted to do and where, without having to worry about someone else having a different idea. I have a few friends who i trust and will hunt with, but in the end, i truly enjoy the aspect of hunting solo and look forward to doing it all again this summer and fall.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
100+ days a year actually in the mountains or afield hunting/scouting every year and 99% is solo.
Just know what you can and can not do alone. Be safe.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I prefer to hunt solo, although it is nice to have a buddy or someone at camp each night to BS with, compare animal sightings etc. The main reason I hunt solo most of the time is because most of my buddies aren't "into" some of the hunts as much or don't have as many points, mainly deer and elk. But I don't let that stop me, I've had some incredible experiences solo. The 18 hour drives can get old, but they are well worth it.

Kimbersig

WKR
100+ days a year actually in the mountains or afield hunting/scouting every year and 99% is solo.
Just know what you can and can not do alone. Be safe.

Are you single? my wife would divorce me if I was gone that much! LOL 20-30 days hunting and she is getting ready for hunting season to be over!

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
How many of you guys solo hunt?

What are the main challenges of solo vs not solo? Main solo advantages?

Which do you enjoy more?

Yes, solo almost exclusively.

Main challenges: mental engagement/toughness, carrying more crap

Main advantages: maximum efficiency and focus is possible

Enjoyment comes down to the experience meeting the expectation. As long as I adequately adjust my expectation for each hunt I'm fully content doing either.

- - - Updated - - -

When you guys solo, are you typically backpacking it? Or do you usually do a base camp type hunt?
Roughly 80/20 backpacking personally.

OP
street

street

WKR
Enjoyment comes down to the experience meeting the expectation. As long as I adequately adjust my expectation for each hunt I'm fully content doing either.

That's a great way to articulate it, as far as I'm concerned.

Tradchef

WKR
I hunt solo all the time and will always hunt solo. I had a partner growing up as a kid and he still to this day is the only person I trust in the woods. The extra work involved or knowing the risks etc....don’t really bother me. We take risks everyday so to do something you truly enjoy, that’s a good thing regardless. I don’t have to wait for anyone, listen to how tired they are, if I screw up or make a mistake I own it 100% instead of you messed me up etc.....I don’t get a lot of time due to restaurant life so my main objective is to fill my freezer. I’m not interested in anything else except that. I’m comfortable reading or having conversations with myself about whatever I need to....it just works for my style.
It’s not for everyone and I can understand why it’s not. Sometimes when the animal is bigger I wish I had an extra pair of hands or another pack to help cut down on the pack out as I get older but I’ve got a decent system that I try to evolve every year.

zpooch

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt solo the majority of the time. I am fairly new and just don't have a hunting partner that wants to hunt how I do. Being newer and solo gives me a lot opportunity to screw things up and learn from them on my own. It only sucks when you have to pack an animal a long way.

Rich M

WKR
Did a trip with a "like-minded sportsman" once and that's enough of that - family, good/long-time friend, or solo.

The plus side to a partner is safety - you break a leg, you've ultimately got help. Maybe he's got a 4x4 and you don't.

I have gotten into wearing cut resistant gloves when filleting fish or processing animals - on the grabbing hand, knife hand is bare to feel the bones and such. It cuts down on the nicks and cuts to the hands. Anything to reduce the possibility of a concern. Also have a tourniquet and clotting sponges in the pack.

Planning a hunt with a long time buddy either 2019 or 2020 depending on the license draw. Was originally planning solo but he said he wanted to go when I told him I was going. Looking forward to it.