Solo hunting advantages and disadvantages

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
So I just finished my second elk hunt, and thought I would make a post to hopefully help some hunters out in the future. This was my first time backpack hunting and solo elk hunting, so take this with a grain of salt.

ADVANTAGES:
1. Stay out in the woods, or head to the truck. It’s your choice.
2. I found solo hunting very peaceful, and like being by myself on the mountain.
3. No worries about deciding who will shoot first if the situation arises.

DISADVANTAGES:
1. It is easier to get discouraged when you’re not seeing or finding elk.
2. All expenses fall on you.
3. Getting an elk out would be very difficult. Definitely takes more planning than a 2 or 3 person job.
4. Safety. I ran into no issues over my 11 days, but was also lucky in regards to weather and critters. A turned ankle or broken leg, and things could’ve gotten hairy.

I’m sure there are others out there, but these were the main points that came to mind. I don’t think it’s for everyone, but I would highly recommend solo hunting for anyone who has considered it. It is definitely something I will do if the opportunity for a hunting partner does not come up.

Gerbdog

WKR
Good on you for getting out there and doing the hunt solo when needed. I for one prefer having a partner now after doing weeks alone in the woods, takes some mental grit to stick it out especially when the elk arent being seen or heard. Like you though, sometimes a hunting partner cant be had and you go at it solo. As you mentioned, I do seem to be more cautious, especially in the deadfall, when I'm alone, a messed up leg miles away from the truck in the deadfall would be pretty bad. Did you carry an InReach device with you? I always have one now when I'm hunting alone, even just the mini, for some peace of mind.

OP
George Hamrick

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Good on you for getting out there and doing the hunt solo when needed. I for one prefer having a partner now after doing weeks alone in the woods, takes some mental grit to stick it out especially when the elk arent being seen or heard. Like you though, sometimes a hunting partner cant be had and you go at it solo. As you mentioned, I do seem to be more cautious, especially in the deadfall, when I'm alone, a messed up leg miles away from the truck in the deadfall would be pretty bad. Did you carry an InReach device with you? I always have one now when I'm hunting alone, even just the mini, for some peace of mind.
I did not for this trip, but it is definitely something I plan to buy before my next trip out there. Wanted to get one for this trip, but wasn’t going to let it stop me from going.

Gerbdog

WKR
I did not for this trip, but it is definitely something I plan to buy before my next trip out there. Wanted to get one for this trip, but wasn’t going to let it stop me from going.
Yea this was my first year with it, and mostly because my GF forced it on me for her stress level. Dont let her here me say this... but it was a good choice and like I said... good peace of mind. After not having one on your pack you'll appreciate having it in the future. There are grittier tougher mountain men out there then ill ever be but technology has made all of this more accessible for sure and I for one appreciate it. Almost forgot: great to call in the pack out help when you find the kill.

Last edited:
I hunt solo. I say I prefer it, but I have not really hunted with a good hunting partner. That said, I find the biggest disadvantage is not having the caller set back 40-60 yards for archery elk. I have numerous bulls come in, and pin me down as both the caller & shooter. Seems you would be significantly more successful with a caller.

OP
George Hamrick

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt solo. I say I prefer it, but I have not really hunted with a good hunting partner. That said, I find the biggest disadvantage is not having the caller set back 40-60 yards for archery elk. I have numerous bulls come in, and pin me down as both the caller & shooter. Seems you would be significantly more successful with a caller.
I could see that being an issue for sure. I had a few elk this year that I called to and in. I didn’t have that scenario happen, but have heard it is fairly common for solo hunters. I just tried to move up 15-20 yards after every call.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
I would say that disadvantage #1 on your list, should be moved to the advantages. It's easy for people to get back from a hunt, and blame the guy they were hunting with.

-If he only he would have hiked harder.
-If only he had called better.
-If only he would have woke up earlier that one morning.
-If only he was............................. enter reason one million here.

It's hard to pick out your own flaws. I like having only my self to blame!

OP
George Hamrick

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I would say that disadvantage #1 on your list, should be moved to the advantages. It's easy for people to get back from a hunt, and blame the guy they were hunting with.

-If he only he would have hiked harder.
-If only he had called better.
-If only he would have woke up earlier that one morning.
-If only he was............................. enter reason one million here.

It's hard to pick out your own flaws. I like having only my self to blame!
It could definitely go either way, and I think it is mainly based on the person hunting. I handled the solo hunting fine, but I did find it a little easier to get discouraged without having my brother hunting with me and to talk to. I will say that I would hunt solo over having someone that I felt was slowing me down, or one of your reasons stated above, 100 out of 100 times though. Especially for backpack hunting, I don’t think I would trust someone I’d never hunted with.

prm

WKR
I agree with your points. I’ll add a disadvantage to me; hanging with good company around the campfire in the evening. I prefer hunting solo, but enjoy the camaraderie in the evening. I can confirm that getting an elk out solo is quite challenging. At 53, many miles from truck with one long, very steep descent, one knee was about done.

I much prefer solo hunting. No one to slow me down and I can change my plans on the fly without having to confer with anyone else. Breaking down a bull solo and packing them out are what they are. Everything is on my timeline when I'm solo.
100%

i like hunting with others, and do a lot..... after i kill a bull, haha. i'm more effective by myself, and i enjoy it. i have a couple really good hunting buddies, but i go with them after i'm done. i need that solitude, elk season is where i get it.... hunting in general i guess. if i have a tag, i'm filling it solo, then i'll help friends/family.... of the critters i have killed, only a small handful have been hunting with others.... almost all of them have been solo and that's by design.

like you said, breaking them down and packing them out solo is what it is. i have packed lots of critters out for people, and have had help packing some of mine... i don't ever rely on help, but i don't turn it down either ;)

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Timely post. I’m a 59 yr old woman, in good shape soloing for a Spike now during this rut. Seeing lots of awesome bulls and cows but so far not what I need.
I’m not backpacking in, but head in at 4ish am with headlamp up to 4.5-5 mi from trailhead.
I can get one field dressed, cut skull for my spikes (if I get lucky) and start boning it out to pack out, but if no wasted meat am looking at 2-6 days to pack out depending on distance from trailhead. Last year tagged a bull, 3.5 mi in, which took 2 of us 3 days to get out. Plan is to put meat in game bags and suspend from trees (no bears or predators here) until I can get it out. Fortunately nights are freezing at 9000’ now. But, yeah, help would be great. And all your advantages and disadvantages are pretty close to or on spot. Just want to get one and get meat. This is my last weekend to go as season ends.

solo for me too. truck camp or backcountry. i do both and love it. no one to blame but me when i screw up. packing one out is the sucky part but hey, i forget all about that when i'm eating elk. there are only a few i will hunt with. always much more gratifying when i do it all and it ends in success.

FlyGuy

WKR
I enjoy both, but my elk hunts are not usually solo. I love being in the Mtns solo. There is just an aspect to that solitude that I crave and enjoy in a very different way.

But elk are big. It’s so much easier with a team of 3. I also enjoy the campfire camaraderie and bouncing ideas back and forth, but I’m blessed to have 2 very good hunting partners. I really couldn’t ask for better tbh. If that weren’t the case then yeah, maybe I would go solo. Still we often split up and two will cover one area and I’ll go another direction; especially early trying to locate elk. This gives me the chance to hunt solo on 100% my terms, but still enjoy the fun of sharing stories back at camp and the peace of mind that hunting partners bring.

You can’t cheat the mountain

I prefer the best of both worlds. I definitely hunt solo. I need to be in the zone at my own pace with no distractions at all. But at camp I enjoy a partner. It’s fun to share what happened that day. I’ve hunted solo and nights in camp sucked. I also use a spike camp. I go there for 2-3 nights at a time alone. I enjoy those couple nights. But then I look forward to getting back to base camp to shower and shoot the shit. I have a really great partner and between the two of us we can always maintain confidence and a positive attitude. When one of us kills a bull the other drops everything and we pack it out together.

cnelk

WKR
Hunt solo but hang in camp with buddies is my preference. But I enjoy calling for people.

Last 5 years I killed 5 elk solo. So no problems there.

Poser

WKR
I spend a lot of time out solo in the mountains, particularly on scouting trips, but I do prefer to be out with a very small pool of vetted and highly reliable partners and do most of my actual hunting trips that way.

Timely post. I’m a 59 yr old woman, in good shape soloing for a Spike now during this rut. Seeing lots of awesome bulls and cows but so far not what I need.
I’m not backpacking in, but head in at 4ish am with headlamp up to 4.5-5 mi from trailhead.
I can get one field dressed, cut skull for my spikes (if I get lucky) and start boning it out to pack out, but if no wasted meat am looking at 2-6 days to pack out depending on distance from trailhead. Last year tagged a bull, 3.5 mi in, which took 2 of us 3 days to get out. Plan is to put meat in game bags and suspend from trees (no bears or predators here) until I can get it out. Fortunately nights are freezing at 9000’ now. But, yeah, help would be great. And all your advantages and disadvantages are pretty close to or on spot. Just want to get one and get meat. This is my last weekend to go as season ends.
that is really cool! i wish you luck and post a thread with a season recap win, lose, or draw... best of luck!