Solo Kodiak trip?

Well I’ve been trying to make it to Kodiak for years now but something always prevents me and I’ve decided that this year will be my year. I’m trying to figure out if a solo trip is a viable option.
Most of the transporters that I’ve talked to over the years prefer you to have a partner, my partner will be tied up during the time that I’d like to be on Kodiak so I’m debating taking a float plane into a lake.
My only concern is the bears. I’m not new to grizzly county but I would be new to Kodiak and I’m not sure how to look at it. Bear fence? Keep meat down wind and pay attention?
I’ve been told that the public use cabins are good but the bucks “near” them get picked over pretty quickly?
Anyone have any past experiences on Kodiak solo? Thanks fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catchfish

WKR
I’m curious are you coming from out of state or Alaska resident? I would think the transporters would be alright with a resident going solo than a non resident. I can’t really help you with the solo deal I’ve only hunted it once.

OP
rooster440
I’m curious are you coming from out of state or Alaska resident? I would think the transporters would be alright with a resident going solo than a non resident. I can’t really help you with the solo deal I’ve only hunted it once.

Non resident

gbflyer

WKR
Guy that used to work for me has a guide business there. ugakbay.com. He’s been at it a long time, I’d trust what he says. Haven’t talked to him in years but assume he’s still there. Looks like his rates are pretty decent.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We flew into a lake down south in early September and didn't see a Grizzly, though one walked by camp one night. Most are still up in the salmon runs. There is so much fish that they aren't hungry for human food. Though one did chew on a carcass. We asked about bear fence, and the locals laughed.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Bear fence just gives me a little confidence. I pray it works and use one. I figure it can’t hurt...

I’ve done this hunt, and I wouldn’t do it without a partner. Honestly there are a lot more dangers, other than bears. It’s thick, craggy cliffs, wet, lots of ways to be debilitated without help.
However, bears are a seriously legitimate issue as well. I counted 48 sighting in 3 days. Probably Not 48 different bears, but 48 different spottings at different times.

It sucks to feel stuck when no one else wants to go, but it might be worth the guide in this case

OP
rooster440
I’ve done this hunt, and I wouldn’t do it without a partner. Honestly there are a lot more dangers, other than bears. It’s thick, craggy cliffs, wet, lots of ways to be debilitated without help.
However, bears are a seriously legitimate issue as well. I counted 48 sighting in 3 days. Probably Not 48 different bears, but 48 different spottings at different times.

It sucks to feel stuck when no one else wants to go, but it might be worth the guide in this case

How was your trip? Did you fly into a remote lake?

I try and get down to Kodiak at least once a year and I have hunted it solo. One of my favorite hunts to date, was a 12 day solo goat hunt down there about 4 years ago. I think that the time of year you go and how/where you plan to access it, plays a lot into the probability of bear encounters. Meaning, say August vs. December, high alpine lake vs. salt, and proximity of salmon streams when salmon are running. As far as electric fences working to deter bears from getting into your camp, I guess that's a matter of personal opinion, but I believe that they work and I always bring a bear fence (sometimes two), when hunting down there. I always put one up around my base camp, and I frequently take one up into the mountains for my spike. I wouldn't let the idea of a negative bear encounter keep me from hunting Kodiak solo. It's always a possibility, but not a probability, and I think most people tend to let their imagination and emotions get the better of them when camping alone in bear country. Your mind can sometimes be your worst enemy. Play it safe, take precautions and take your time, and enjoy yourself.

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hunted it the first week of august this year alpine, wouldn't be a hunt I'd particularly want to do solo, but everyone is different. Main common concern would be blowing out a knee or breaking a leg in some of the THICK wet vegetation you tend to have to bust through to get onto the ridges (I just sprained an ankle bad, another in the group sprained both of his more mildly, taping your ankles isn't a bad idea btw), sure you can inreach for help but you're on your own till help comes... As for bears, I had a sow and yearling come running into the shots on my second deer and claim it, I happened to have waited a few minutes to go into the alder to get it as I was on the radio with the others letting them know my plan, if I had been solo and headed down I would have been in the alders and not seen them come into the basin. As it was they came towards me till 200yds away and then when I stood up in the ridge saddle I was sitting in (because they had passed my deer and my wind with bloody pants from prior in the trip was blowing right at them and it started to concern me) they stood and weren't spooked, they started actually paralleling me on the ridge which was unnerving (and hopefully just coincidence), I lost sight of them behind a hill and eventually they had back tracked to my deer. Not being well versed in squaring off with bears that was unnerving, I supposed if I started firing shots and yelling when they first entered the basin they might have spooked? I don't know, no real experience. I just didn't like the situation of a sow with yearling and me solo with a 3 round bolt action rifle and bear spray... one bear would have been less stressful feeling. The other bear I saw on the trip was cruising in the other direction from me below a ridgeline, it passed at 250yds and didn't show that it noticed me.

Maybe look at one of the lodges? Raspberry island or Afognak wilderness lodge? They may let you go solo, you would have radio communication, and a cabin to stay in at night.

I hunted with Raspberry island a few years ago, I didn't go solo, but there was another guy there whose partner got sick on day one and they let him hunt solo rest of the time.

Beendare

WKR
Ive heard this is the worst winter in a long time on Kodiak....die off will be bad.

Solo is do-able.....but its nice to split the very high cost of flyouts...and nice to have another guy on a rough hunt like that.

OP
rooster440
Ive heard this is the worst winter in a long time on Kodiak....die off will be bad.

Solo is do-able.....but its nice to split the very high cost of flyouts...and nice to have another guy on a rough hunt like that.

I haven’t heard to much about this winter. I thought last winter was real bad?

AKDoc

WKR
I've hunted Kodiak quite a few times for black-tail and mountain goats. I have never had a trip to the Rock without numerous bear sightings, but thankfully no DLP moments...and I ALWAYS bring an electric fence.

When we first moved to Alaska (thirty years ago), my wife made me promise to not do solo trips. I'm a very active hunter and remote pack-raft/fishing guy up here, but I've kept that promise for the most part...and for lots of reasons (already expressed by others) Kodiak would not be my choice to seek her exception. I do know a few guys who solo Kodiak...one does it every year, but these are also very experienced guys.

Regarding winter kills on Kodiak, when that has happened in past years, it seems to typically impact one side of the island much more than other parts. I've most often heard that deer on the NW side got hit the hardest.

Last edited:
Last winter was a hard one on the deer population, but not as bad on the southern part of the island. So far this winter has been pretty good, both in snow and temps.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bears are on kodiak do not behave like grizzlies. If there are no food shortages for them where you end up, solo wouldn't be terrible. But man those brownies come in close and encounters should be expected. If you're asking for an opinion on going solo to Kodiak, I wouldn't do it. A bear fence only gives you a little peace of mind while you're sleeping...it's the brush and unpredictable encounters hunting that concerns me most. We've had a lot of sketchy encounters on Kodiak, but only with <5% of those we've encountered. It only takes one to stain your shorts!

Chedster

FNG
When are you planning on going? I’ve been wanting to do a fly-in up there but it makes sense to have a partner or two to split costs.

OP
rooster440
When are you planning on going? I’ve been wanting to do a fly-in up there but it makes sense to have a partner or two to split costs.

I’d like to go in Mid to late October.