Solo Montana rifle

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning on hunting Montana and being there all rifle season. I've hunted twice there before with success. This year my hunting partner dropped out. So my options just opened wide up.

I'm wondering things like: if I should bring my wall tent or try to buy another tent.

I cant hunt any way I want now. I'm at information overload.. Do I just stick to the old driving technique or set out for new areas and hike in... Hell, I could do 2 weeks archery 2 weeks rifle.

Or

Maybe I pull all the seats out if the vehicle except mine and make it a portable camper.

I'm lost 🤣

Sethroski

FNG
I'm a montanan and I usually live out of my topper for a week or two and then do 2 or 3 day spike camps to break it up. If it gets too cold I just plug a space heater into an rv park and sleep in a toasty truck bed for a night or two. The world is your oyster.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Take the wall tent. It’s even more important to have a solid retreat to hunt hard solo. Other than that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

Rourke__

FNG
Wall tent is okay but if you have 4 weeks to spare, stay mobile which may be moving camp 2-3 times a week

rambo2345

WKR
We hunted 3 different areas this past season in 10 days. Important to be able to move camp without too much trouble.

Why would a guy who hunted twice and killed two elk be moving camp 2 to 3 times a week? Keep learning your area!

You might hit it from different access points which could mean a little drive but don’t spend precious time breaking down camps and setting them up again.

OP
M

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I know where to hunt the elk but I been successful in two different parts of the state so I have too many options I guess

Maybe I could kill elk in one of the successful units. Then just pack up and relocate for a muley tag.

I have never taken a muley so that could be a good way to keep me in the mountains and motivated.

Marble

WKR
I think the camping methods are secondary concerns. Choose an area you feel most optimistic in and then have the ability to do whatever you want.

Whenever I go, I have whatever I need to whatever I want. Back of the truck, big tent, pack in. Get a hotel halfway through for laundry and showers.

Eat good
Sleep good
Hunt hard
Have no regrets.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

crossone

FNG
Why would a guy who hunted twice and killed two elk be moving camp 2 to 3 times a week? Keep learning your area!

You might hit it from different access points which could mean a little drive but don’t spend precious time breaking down camps and setting them up again.
Because elk in open country will herd up and move 10 miles in an afternoon. Or because the canyon you drove to last night has 20 people in it. I move camps like changing my underwear.

Huh. It must be hard to really learn an area when you’re covering ground like a wandering nomad. I can’t imagine there not being somewhere to settle in and call home. To me that’s the key to being consistent. That just goes to show that most of the answers whether it’s about tactics or gear are based on where a guy is hunting.