Solo Moose- looking for outfitter

bozeman

WKR
So, being from Alabama, no-one I knew wanted to go Elk hunting, so found an outfitter which has a back country tent camp, horse back for approx 5 miles to hunt. So I drove 25 hours and hunted and brought back a lot of meat and nice antlers....now Moose...you guessed it, no-one from Alabama is interested in a Moose hunt. So same scenario, but cant even find someone I know that has ever been Moose hunting (unlike Elk, had a few people that had been before). Any recommendations? Alaska, BC/Canada? Being solo, I would probably be matched with someone for the 2X1 hunt once I arrived. I researched Elk hunting and saved for 4 years, so starting this now for Moose. Budget.......yes, I have one, but want a true hunting experience, no lodge etc.....even trophy potential isn't high on the list. I am more interested in the hunt, scenery and meat. Would appreciate any info.

(yes, I have searched and read for days on previous posts)

Thanks,
Bozeman

I would look at going out to Holy Cross Alaska and contact Alaska Pike Safaris. I have sent a few goes out that way and the quality of the moose are none better in Alaska. I sent 3 clients out and they all filled tags by day 3. 53 inch, 62 and a 65 inch big boy!

Here is the link. www.alaskapike.com Ask for Bruce or Connie Werba 907-545-5063. Good people who will treat you right.Unguided

Attachments

• 2008 packing out the moose.jpg
    2008 packing out the moose.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 54

rayporter

WKR
do some research on moose in Newfoundland. most are lodge type hunts however.

the moose are not quite as big but you can drive and you can get an outfitter for this year instead of 2222

but if you really want big and wild -go alaska. go soon the cost goes up every year.

rayporter

WKR
sorry. i have bud that went, he and his dad both got one. they are going back this fall.

i think that they like the lodge thing- not the roughing it. but they were happy and that is what counts.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I went to Newfoundland last season by myself and am going back again in 2022 solo.I went with Moose Valley Outfitters. The did have camp, but were fly in remote. PM me if you want any more info.

Wapiti1

WKR
You answered trophy needs. Does the moose variety matter? Shiras, Canada, or Alaska/Yukon?

Lower Canada is the easiest to get meat home from.

Below is an overview for guided options.

Prices vary from $4000 to $25,000. Alberta and Newfoundland are your cheapest options with similar trophy quality on the cheaper hunts. Both are pretty high success for a random bull moose around 30". You can find either camp style or lodge in these provinces. Figure $4000-$7000 depending on where they are and the quality. You can usually shoot a wolf or black bear for free or only a small charge plus tag cost.

Cost jumps to $8000-$20000 for a Canada moose that is at the top of size range. Shiras fall in here as well. Alberta and BC have the better Canada hunts with a few in Sask, and Manitoba (I am less familiar with those). Most of these are horseback hunts. Newfoundland has fly in areas, but for the money, I'd go to BC and hunt the mountains.

Alaska or northern Canada will bump up to $18000 plus in most cases for a guided hunt. Options vary from remote cabin to tents. Yukon and Northwest Territories hunts are more of a multi-species hunt since getting there is tough, so think about that for caribou, bear, and moose. Of course the cost goes up.

For a single hunter, you will usually see an upcharge, or you can be paired up.

Might find a cow moose hunt as well that is cheaper. I've not looked at those. There are also hunts in Ontario, Quebec, and the other provinces. New Brunswick has a good hunt, but it is a draw tag. Ontario and Quebec are hit or miss from what I have heard and success is low.

Jeremy

So, being from Alabama, no-one I knew wanted to go Elk hunting, so found an outfitter which has a back country tent camp, horse back for approx 5 miles to hunt. So I drove 25 hours and hunted and brought back a lot of meat and nice antlers....now Moose...you guessed it, no-one from Alabama is interested in a Moose hunt. So same scenario, but cant even find someone I know that has ever been Moose hunting (unlike Elk, had a few people that had been before). Any recommendations? Alaska, BC/Canada? Being solo, I would probably be matched with someone for the 2X1 hunt once I arrived. I researched Elk hunting and saved for 4 years, so starting this now for Moose. Budget.......yes, I have one, but want a true hunting experience, no lodge etc.....even trophy potential isn't high on the list. I am more interested in the hunt, scenery and meat. Would appreciate any info.

(yes, I have searched and read for days on previous posts)

Thanks,
Bozeman
So it's 2022, and I'm in Alabama, wanting a moose hunt, preferably in Canada, and searching recommendations. What've you learned so far?

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
Unfortunately, not much. I've pretty much crossed this off the list as a potential hunt.

0A56D149-F632-4D3A-AE68-FF9963FCE2BF.jpeg

DIY - Unit 18, Bethel, Alaska, 2019.

I wouldn’t give up on your dream. Nothing worth doing is ever easy, quick, or cheap. Best of luck, TheGrayRider.

“The only easy day was yesterday.” Navy Seal Motto.

Afhunter1

WKR
Are you stuck on going solo or would a PA guy cramp your style? Penn State territory. Ha ha. I have killed a moose in ME and would like to go after one with a bow in Canada. The when would be my big question. I’d be looking at 2023-2024

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
A couple more details would help, when you stated, "no Lodge etc" do you mean no permanent habitation structures, no road access, horseback, how do you want access and travel the area as well as archery or rifle and how important is opportunity for success? There are some great fly in location that are very remote in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and potentially cheapest Quebec, however there will often be a cabin/Lodge accommodation that vary from luxurious to very rustic and very likely motor boat use to access hunting areas.

Since I am at a similar starting point I can't help with names of outfitters but I can make a few recommendations regarding areas to look at as I have lived in and have family and friends living in some great moose country in Alberta, and BC as well.

If you want true wilderness experiences then the northern portions of Alberta, BC, Manitoba and Saskatchewan would be more affordable than Alaska or the Yukon

If you are looking to bow hunt the Edmonton Bow Zone in Alberta, famous for monster whitetails also, is home to some respectable bull moose and outfitters with very high success rates. But as you're only just outside Edmonton you won't be on an extremely remote hunt. How ever it will be close to how most moose are hunted in Canada by a lot Canadians, back roads and staying in at least moderately comfortable lodging and as physically demanding as you want to make it if you're clear with your guide.

Quebec has some of the most cost effective moose hunts available. I believe their non resident regs require 2 tags per moose (so 2 hunters get 1 moose) it could be easier to convince a friend or spouse to tag along during the bow season so they can pursue Atlantic Salmon in some spectacular country and you hunt moose. The Gaspe region has some truly spectacular views and rivers and could potentially be cheapest but much of it is readily accessible at least by 4x4. Not sure if that meets your goals. Also shorter drive home for you returning with meat.

I love moose hunting and get just as excited every time I can get close to bulls be it on the prairie of Saskatchewan in an agricultural area, the mixed parkland of the foothills and north central Alberta, Mountains of BC and Western Alberta, or the timber regrowth and waterways and swamps/bogs of New Brunswick and Newfoundland I just need to combine it with a tag in my pocket for a change.