Solo Oahu Trip - Suggestions

Without going into the why and all the family drama that goes along with it, I have to be on Oahu solo for 10 days in May. Tough problem to have, I know, but I am looking for suggestions on things to do and places to stay. I am trying to avoid having a rental car and don't mind more "spartan" accommodations as long as its safe/secure. Kitchenette would be nice to cook most meals. I want nothing to do with Waikiki. Will be working remotely for some of the stay so wifi is necessary.

Activity wise I'm not much of a lay on the beach and tan person, mid-30's and fairly active. It looks like there is not much guided hunting on Oahu and going to another island isn't an option. Any fly fishing or offshore recommendations? Hiking/backpacking?

Update 3/14: not sure why this got moved to the "game birds" section but the trip is coming together. Going to camp on the northeast shore in a private campground and rented a Tacoma with a RTT loaded with camping gear to be my mobile base camp. Hunting wise I talked with a few guides but I wasn't really interested in a knife and dog hog hunt.

Ended up booking a bonefish fly guide for the first day and then will just DIY fish my ass off for the balance of the trip on the reefs and flats. Got a new saltwater rod and reel setup, working on my lines/leaders/tippet along with a basic fly assortment which I can supplement with local specials at the one fly shop on Oahu.

Last edited:

Vandy321

WKR
Get one of those cheap bike rentals (long walk), some aqua socks (coral hurts) and go throw flies at some bones on the flats, SE of diamondhead...

Mt Al

WKR
Hanama Bay! Great place to snorkel, get there early as there's a limit on the number of people, plus there's a day or two per week when it's closed. There will be people laying on the beach, but you can be the one out on the reef. You can pay a bus service to pick you up/drop you off and they'll have gear for rent. One assumes they clean the spit off from the last user.

Last time I went I somehow, really not sure how, got to know the bar tenders at the hotel pretty well. A few of them saw my Simms hat and gear and showed me where they fished, what they were catching and they did this almost every day before or after work. I got invited to go with them several times but couldn't given the schedule I was on (Waikiki/K Bay/Waikiki/K Bay, etc.). I would definitely look into a guided fishing day or half day. Really wish I could have gone with them.

Pearl Harbor tour is a must IMHO.

Was personally not that impressed with the Polynesian Cultural Center but many people love it.

Bishop Museum. If you like history and the amazing journeys of the Polynesians, well worth the trip.

My 2 cents

Rob5589

WKR
Been once and stayed in Waikiki. Way too crowded and would not do it again. North shore is the area to stay to avoid most crowds. Be aware of their difficult covid protocol which is supposed to change for the worse is Feb.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I met 3 great guys from Hawaii while elk hunting in Colorado last year. They do part time guiding for deer. Not sure about which Islands but will PM you one of their names and co tact info if you want to find out.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

feanor

WKR
The east side is pretty cool and more laid back than the city. Still popular though. We paddle boarded and surfed the Kailua Bay Area. More of a family trip, so it was beach-oriented. As long as I’m near a grocery store for poke, I’m pretty happy. Didn’t get to go hike stairway to heaven( from the backside starting at the park). Bummed about that. North shore is not my cup of tea, and right now would probably be too big to paddle out unless you were skilled( on average).

SDHNTR

WKR
The fly fishing is fantastic! Huge bones! And there is hunting, but I’m not gonna be that guy.

OP
H
Update 3/14: not sure why this got moved to the "game birds" section but the trip is coming together. Going to camp on the northeast shore in a private campground and rented a Tacoma with a RTT loaded with camping gear to be my mobile base camp. Hunting wise I talked with a few guides but I wasn't really interested in a knife and dog hog hunt.

Ended up booking a bonefish fly guide for the first day and then will just DIY fish my ass off for the balance of the trip on the reefs and flats. Got a new saltwater rod and reel setup, working on my lines/leaders/tippet along with a basic fly assortment which I can supplement with local specials at the one fly shop on Oahu.

Oahu really is the lesser of all the island options when it comes to hunting, but, there are pigs there, alot of them. Tough, not impossible for a NR just showing up without some direction, but back in the day, I used to be hell on them. Guava normal and strawberry are your friends.

Last edited: