Solo or Groups for Backcountry Hunts?

Yukondog

WKR
Sk1- you are now using your head! Though it may be hard to slow diown and get tunnel vision while hunting stop and think what it would mean if you broke your legs or back and laid in the woods for 4 days before dying of dehydration and exposure. How many times would the thought of your wife and child go through your mind? No animal is worth it... this is my feeling anyway.

It seems a bunch of guys go solo simply because they can't find a partner willing to do the physical part of backpacking in. I can think of no better forum for guys to get together and build relationships for hunting together. Sure, you might not find the right partner the first time around. But when you do the hunt will be more enjoyable and if someone gets badly hurt you will have a fighting chance of seeing your wives and children again. For you single guys out there I'm positive there are people out there as well that love you and want to see you home and safe again.

Food for thought.

Matt

Slim Jim

WKR
Always solo. I'm from Vegas and all of my friends are rifle hunters. They think that I'm nuts going in 6-10miles solo archery hunting for a week at a time. I love it but sometimes wish I had a good partner to hunt backcountry with. (Pros) -It is safer, someone to glass and signal your stalks, haul out, and company. (Cons) -Might not be your turn to stalk that 190+ buck, partner might skyline or make noise and blow a stalk.

Bighorse

WKR
Good communication

I've done both kinds of trips. A good partner for hunting is developed via good communication and honesty. You have to be willing and capable of putting the other person first. If your doing that then the foundation for a good hunting relationship is set. Establish a clear current and future addenda. Don't hide your desire for a big trophy animal. Talk about how you both can mutually benefit. Then honestly lay the ground work to make dreams a reality.

Solo trips dig deep into the heart of why I hunt. I'm a natural predator. When I hunt solo it's all about hunting. The relationship thing is left behind. Not that relationships are bad, I just like to remind myself that beyond my ego there is a guy that just likes to tote a gun, climb mountains, and shoot things.

OP
Outdoorsman3830

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
I know what you mean Slim Jim. Everyone one, family, friends, and coworkers, all think I'm crazy for throwing camp on my back and hiking 6 to 10 miles back, leaving the trail, and then climbing 2,000 to 3,000 feet up steep rugged mountains. I have finally convinced my Dad that it is the most effective method, but he rarely has enough time to get out there experience it. My wife is going to go on a short 3 day scouting trip later this month, so I will do my best to keep her pack super light and help her enjoy it as much as possible. Then after that I will go back in solo for another 3 to 4 days to do some serious scouting.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt with one buddy who has a similar drive and ethic to mine. We are both willing to do what it takes to get to the best hunting areas regardless of distance, terrain or elevation, and both of us would rather end the hunt without an animal on the ground than take a questionable shot.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Solo most of the time, but only because it is hard to get people to go into the wilderness for a week. I actually prefer a partner a lot of the time. To help call elk or to give hand signals when stalking bedded bucks. It always looks different when you get over to where you think they were bedded.

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Both, I will be doing more and more solo in the future..Of all my hunting buddies only 2 have the grit to do it but we don't always have the same time off or what ever to pair up...

+1. It's hard to find good hunting partners.

Harder to find then a wife for sure, it's too bad it isn't easier to find a good partner but nothing about this kind of hunting is easy.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
X2 on the hunting partners. I love chasing snow geese but finding people willing to get up at 3am an set out 500 to 1000 decoys ends up a one time deal more often than not.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Harder to find then a wife for sure, it's too bad it isn't easier to find a good partner but nothing about this kind of hunting is easy.

Unless of course you are looking for a wife who is also your hunting partner :) I am told we are not that common...

I asked Luke the other day if he took me on all these adventures because I was his first pick, or because no one else would agree to go all the places we do, carrying all the things we carry...he assured me I was his first pick, but sometimes I wonder :)

B

bearguide

i enjoy hunting with my family, watching my kids, and helping them get something more than getting one my self

B

bearguide

read becca's story rescue on kodiac. not good to be solo with a problem

luke moffat

Super Moderator
read becca's story rescue on kodiac. not good to be solo with a problem

Very true, it was a good thing to have more people along on that. However, I wish that story to maybe not go on a solo hunt. You can't possibly plan for every contigency, but I do try to be smarter or less risky when on solo endeavors than when someone else is along. Like maybe not scale a certain mountain route, cross a creek/river that is a bit too deep for my comfort level to cross solo and more.

Starting Thursday I will be doing a 3-4 day backpack packrafting trip with Becca. Then a 3 day solo backpack trip solo going 20 or so miles off the road off trail adn packrafting out on a grizz hunt, then another 4-5 day trip with Becca for a backpack packraft grizz hunt, then a 2-3 day backpack/fishing trip with Becca. All the trips are great and I am looking forward to them all, but time alone in the backcountry is rare for me these days and I am looking forward to some time by myself while she's out working. All in all its shaping up to be a busy 14 days off work with 13 on backpacking trips :D

R

rebecca francis

I love to hunt with my husband because we always push each other and have so much fun. But I prefer to be all alone when I am stalking an animal with a bow.

I'll do both. Now that I actually have the time and resources to spend summer weekends scouting and to hunt hard this fall I know I'll find myself alone quite a bit. The back country can be an eerie place at times solo and I don't think my ears will ever quit making sounds up on me! lol

As far as finding a hunting partner, I agree it could be extremely tough! I got lucky a few years back and met my hunting pard and best friend when he offered to help me on an elk tag I drew. We scouted one weekend together, then I showed up to help him on his deer tag. He'd be hunting with his wife for a few days and not having any luck as she would kind of limit the areas he would go. She wanted to stay in camp the next morning so we hit it hard and got him his buck... Boned him out and packed him out together. Ever since then we've known that eachother is there for the experience of the hunt, we help motivate eachother and aren't afraid to go where the animals are! We've been pretty successful with very few unsuccessful trips over the last 3 years! Can't wait for this season!

Here's a pic of his buck we got him that day. The truck was another 1.5 miles past the skyline....
Waha09.jpg

Mike

bohntr

WKR
My hunting partner and I usually backpack in to the high-country when we bowhunt mule deer. This year (CO), I'll be backpacking in alone for about 8 days, as we both drew AZ bull elk too and he's not able to swing both trips. I've gone solo before, but having a good, reliable hunting partner in camp is a good thing sometimes......especially when you get one down in a difficult spot.

6t4nova

WKR
I'll be doing both this year. Solo opening weekend of elk season and then with a partner from work for the rest of the season. Finding someone who shares the same beliefs, thoughts, and attitudes as you do is key, especially if you are planning a long back county hunt. Definately not something you want to find out in the middle of a hunt. Having someone to hunt with is nice but I also enjoy spending time alone while hunting. Although this season I won't get to spend as much time hunting as I planned due to work and the wife being pregnant, but I will get to spend some weekends and a few days during the week hunting. Have to fly the MIL out while I am gone hunting.

Last edited: