Solo or Groups for Backcountry Hunts?

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
It seems a bunch of guys go solo simply because they can't find a partner willing to do the physical part of backpacking in. I can think of no better forum for guys to get together and build relationships for hunting together. Sure, you might not find the right partner the first time around. But when you do the hunt will be more enjoyable and if someone gets badly hurt you will have a fighting chance of seeing your wives and children again. For you single guys out there I'm positive there are people out there as well that love you and want to see you home and safe again.

I couldn't agree more. I am fortunate to have a brother that wants to hunt just as hard as I do. We're relatively new to western hunting though, and we're a little leary of getting in over our heads. Our rifle hunts with family are in groups, but I think we're discovering that in order to consistently get into animals without waiting a lifetime for a tag we need to get back in deep. Our family is not capable of doing this due to physical limitations.

For anyone interested we are 29 and 27, and we're both physically capable (college football for us both). We'd love to hook up with a one or two guys if anyone might be interested.

One question I have is how many are too many for a backcountry bow hunt (we're most interested in elk)? Seems like most guys hunt in pairs. I can see where more would definitely make it more difficult for spot and stalk bow hunting. Even here at home I've found my biggest success is when I'm hunting alone.

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
I'd prefer to hunt backcountry with 1 or 2 friends. You can still hunt alone during the day (or pair up if calling is working), but you have a group to hang with in the evenings, plus there is help for the pack out or in the case of an emergency.

Unfortunatly I'm hunting solo this season. My regular partner drew a bull tag for our rifle hunt, and our OTC unit doesn't have cow only OTC archery tags this year. Thought I had a good partner lined up to hunt with this year, and to join our group for the future. For some reason he has backed out - for that matter will not even return a phone call. Guess its better to find things like that out now rather then after you have packed in 5 miles and he decides that he can only handle 3 days of a scheduled 7 day hunt, and his truck is sitting in your driveway back at home - A 3 hour hike and 4 hour drive away!!!

Bighorse

WKR
Lonely hunters

You guys are starting to sound like a bunch of desperate lonely hunters. You've painted a picture of only going solo because your not finding good partners.

I'm going solo for my first hunt of the year because I want to go solo. I can find partners if I wanted one for this trip. I'll keep a Spot attached to my person. I'll be travelling in thick Brown Bear Country. It will be a mountain goat hunt too.

The fact is, it's something I want to do solo and when it's done only I can own the sucess or failure of it. It will be a great start to my busy and challenging season ahead. Most of the hunts following are planned with friends and family.

6t4nova

WKR
You guys are starting to sound like a bunch of desperate lonely hunters. You've painted a picture of only going solo because your not finding good partners.

I wouldn't view it as sounding like a desperate lonely hunter just because you haven't found a good hunting partner. It's just stating a fact about back country hunting. Finding a good partner that you mesh well with can be difficult. You have to share the same beliefs, thoughts, and views on things or it simply won't work. Trust me, it's better to find that out before you are off hunting rather than when you are in the middle of a hunt. It's also good to know how people react in less than ideal situations.

For me, hunting solo is enjoyable. It's a time to spend outdoors in God's country and success is dependant on you... not others. It's also enjoyable to hunt with a partner or others. Both hunting solo and with a partner have their pros and cons. Go with whichever fits your needs better.

2rocky

WKR
I've hunted both ways. To me the Camp together/ Hunt Solo model is the closest to what most folks across the nation do out of a cabin or on a deer lease. The only difference between Backcountry and that Setup is accommodations and distance from help.

Truth be told, I am statistically in more danger Driving to the Trailhead, than in the actual backcountry.

Now Semi lethal accidents become a great deal more serious in the back country, no doubt. In this case the only good is a hunting partner knows where to bring the search party to recover the body.

There is nothing wrong with feeling more comfortable with someone else hunting with you. We are social creatures. But if SAFETY is the reason for backpacking together, then the two should hunt as a team, rather than solo.

We hunt because we enjoy it, and if hunting solo or with a partner is more enjoyable, then that is what you should do.

hflier

WKR
I'm going to do my first Colorado solo this year. Looking forward to it. I am 50 and at this age you want to do what you want, the way you want, when you want to. Anytime the wife and I have taken vacations with others, we always feel like we are working someone elses agenda. Learning from that I am going it alone. I can hunt the way I choose and be at peace with my surroundings. A sat phone is making the wife happy. Also, most of the guys I know either don't hunt or feel like hunting a 100 yards from the truck is enough of a challenge. They don't want to be too far from the beer cooler.

ckleeves

WKR
Wow after reading some of these post I realize how fortunate I am to have great hunting partners. I have hunted with the same guys and been great friends with some of them since kindergarden (20+ years). With a phone call they will drop whatever they are doing to help with a pack out, stuck truck, whatever comes along and I will do the same for them.

This past year when my brother and I needed help on a elk pack out 2 of my hunting buddies took off work and hiked in with a thermos of hot coffee and a hot breakfast (it was cold by the time they got there but still good!) from MC donald's to help us out. Now those are hunting partners!