Solo or Groups for Backcountry Hunts?

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
Do you hunt solo in the Backcountry or with friends?

Personally, I hunt solo because I don't know anyone willing to hike 5 to 10 miles and climb 2000 to 4000 feet in elevation with camp on their backs for 3 to 10 days. The climb seems to be the major factor in an areas hunting pressure from my experience.

BuckSnort

WKR
Both, I will be doing more and more solo in the future..Of all my hunting buddies only 2 have the grit to do it but we don't always have the same time off or what ever to pair up...

hodgeman

WKR
I'll do either but as I get older I prefer going with a partner and partners who'll get off their quad and hike or backpack are getting hard to come by.

Solo hunts can be very rewarding and extremely dangerous.

I have been a solo hunter. When I go with people success rates start to drop significantly from mule deer and whitetail even to turkeys. The last 11 animals that I have harvested were done so alone. After the group split up or after guys decided to leave b/c of lack of "killing". This year, however, I am hunting with a younger friend and his grandfather. They have elk and deer tags where I have an elk tag and they are both more focused on their deer tags and know the area for elk and I know it better for deer but didn't draw a tag.

I hunt with 1 or 2 guys. I am lucky to have two partners that are willing to go anywhere and do almost anything. The only thing we all need is more time to be in the field. Elk season will be with both of them, 6 to 8 miles in (farther if we have to).

RUTTIN

WKR
Camp at base camp with friends, then I will leave for a few days on my own, as my partners don't like to get to far off the road. I meet up with them every few days to see how it is going.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I hunt both solo and with people, both are fun in their own way but the best are the ones its just my wife and I.

Yukondog

WKR
Safety in numbers. Becca's story solidifies that. Sure with a Sat phone in her pocket she would have been saved, maybe. Sounds like if she stayed on the mtn over night there was a strong change of her lossing a leg. I know where I hunt I need both wheels to make it. It is a blessing to share with others.

JG358

WKR
Usually hunt solo or with one other guy during archery season, rifle camp is usuaslly around 5 or so.

G Posik

WKR
I would rather hunt with partner but finding someone here in Coloradao Springs seems to be a tough find.

You should look outside of the Springs! Curtis C on here did, he ended up with 3 of us from Texas. We have been hunting together 4 years this season. We might have one not coming this year due to a shoulder rebuild.

Glenn

bnsafe

WKR
i will be hunting solo. couldnt find anybody that wanted to hunt the mountains. woulda loved to had a partner to share the experience with but im not letting that slow me down.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I will probably end up solo. My buddies here in missouri think paying that much for a tag is insane + the the $ for the gear/gas and the physical aspect. I kinda like being alone cause I don't have to worry if someone can keep up or wants to go here or nap etc. Down side when you get that big bull on the ground you don't have anyone to celebrate with or help with getting him out. Being alone miles from a road is what seperates the men from the boys!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I much prefer a partner. Makes the packout go better, and I always have them sleep on the grizzly side of the tent.

If I can't find one, though, solo it is. No sense in stayin' home.

sk1

WKR
I go solo but wouldn't mind a base camp of friends to break off from and do my own thing....don't know anyone willing to hike as hard as me, anytime I have taken someone with me has proven to just end up wasting my time.

After reading beccas article I do realize I need to start being more careful on my solo missions. Ive done some pretty stupid things to include running and jumping down canyons at near full speed which could end in disaster. I'm very athletic but take for granted accidents happen not to mention not having a clear view of the terrain at all times. I will be more cautious in the future especially knowing I have my 10 month old future hunting buddy at home with the wife!