Solo or Two person Shelter Tut or Redcliff??

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I ordered one last night Luke. That's exactly what I was wanting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice man!! I think you will like it. I rarely use a tipi with the provided center pole but use my trekking poles instead. No reason you can't be 2.25 or so pounds if going without the nest and just using the tipi itself with stakes and guy lines.

Redcliffe, tall, 2 doors, built in vent, square foot print= quick easy set up, handles normal September weather below tree line Just fine, weight is comparable and size is great

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I currently have a Mountain Smith LT and that thing is bomb proof. If i hunt solo above timber that will most likely be the shelter I take. All my hunts are August September archery. The next few hunts I will be going on will be Elk in New Mexico(hopefully) and Colorado. So i will be able to camp below timber or at least out of the wind. This year will be solo and next year will be with a buddy. So what do you guys think??? If i went with the Tut we could always take the Mountain smith for gear when going two man for extra room. But honestly i like the idea of the room in the redcliff.

I mainly hunt Archery in NM, CO and Idaho.

I have two tents.....mountain hardware ul ghost 3 and tut. Both fit two people and gear easily.

MH is lighter and is bug proof. Tut is more space, easier to set up, and you can walk into it.

If worried about gear I'd bring a tarp over additional tent

That Pyramid 4 Shelter looks awesome and what a great price- I may have to get one for definite solo hunts.
thx for posting that up.

OP
Jtelarkin08
3e334cb0b50f7438cd19c00a059a0cb8.jpg

Luke this thing is bad ass. Especially for the price. I am going to truck camp on my NM elk hunt this year solo. So the bug nest and a blow up bed will be awesome. Tall enough I can stand up to put my pants on. This is exactly what I was wanting.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I like the looks of the pyramid 4. How hard would it be to put a stove jack in that tent? Has anyone done it? Like the price point and weight.

OP
Jtelarkin08
I like the looks of the pyramid 4. How hard would it be to put a stove jack in that tent? Has anyone done it? Like the price point and weight.

I remember a company in colorado putting stove jacks in the SL5 for like 50$. I think it was bear paw or something

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at the mytrailco site this morning and most of the tents/pyramids were out of stock but at a lower price...That pyramid 4 was $329?? Now everything is in stock again but a higher price...Bad timing on my part...

OP
Jtelarkin08
I looked at the mytrailco site this morning and most of the tents/pyramids were out of stock but at a lower price...That pyramid 4 was $329?? Now everything is in stock again but a higher price...Bad timing on my part...

Dang that stinks man. I jumped st the right time
I guess. I think I paid 348$ with the seem sealer

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
Guess they looked around and figured out the price point was too realistic. Still a deal at 399.00. Although I am still looking hard at the Redcliff. I think the extra bit of room might make it better for my family of 4, and also for hunting. All these options look pretty good. Just looking to go with one that has a nest as Illinois and Missouri are buggy places. Trying to dual use the tent for spring camps and fall hunting in the mountains.

Stratofisher - If you're going to want to put 4 inside that shelter, you probably want to look at something a little bigger. Take a look at a Luna6 from Bearpaw Wilderness Designs maybe. Good tent at a good price point.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a Pyramid 3 on Thursday for $239. I was thinking it was a good price, and just looked and the price is at $299 now. It said it's shipped today. I'm excited to get this thing and set it up. I wanted basically a two person style mid. I can run it floorless on my own, and use the nest with my wife. Also the fly with a trekking pole and jack is around 1.5 lbs. I think it will be a palace for one and decent for two. Glad I scored on the $239 price. I'll update with my thoughts.

Last edited:

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Redcliff is going to be big for 1 person, and it is a palace even for two. It is one of my all-time favorite "large" shelters, even though it is still pretty darn light. I've had it in high winds and haven't had any issues...not sure what the concern is there. I'd personally use something smaller for a backpack hunt for 1-2 people, but a lot of people do backpack with the redcliff for 2 because they like the room, particularly if the weather turns sour.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
The Redcliff is going to be big for 1 person, and it is a palace even for two. It is one of my all-time favorite "large" shelters, even though it is still pretty darn light. I've had it in high winds and haven't had any issues...not sure what the concern is there. I'd personally use something smaller for a backpack hunt for 1-2 people, but a lot of people do backpack with the redcliff for 2 because they like the room, particularly if the weather turns sour.
I am looking for good sized tent to be able to flex. Most of the time will be 1-3 people. Thinking the redcliff is the answer, but also looking hard at that luna 6. Want to get something that will fill more situations than a single use tent. I am thinking it is light enough to backpack solo, but even better with a partner. I have a Hilleberg Nallo 4GT that works well, but looking for something to standup in. Not as flexible as I used to be. Want to be able to sit up and put boots on.

wildcat33

WKR
What is the deal with the Seek shelters requiring one to seamgrip the seams when you get it home? Seems like the seems (pun intended) should be sorted out for the $$$. Does the Pyramid require DIY sealing?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
What is the deal with the Seek shelters requiring one to seamgrip the seams when you get it home? Seems like the seems (pun intended) should be sorted out for the $$$. Does the Pyramid require DIY sealing?

It's typical to require the user to do that - takes a lot of room to set up every shelter and apply silicone sealant to each seam. A lot easier to just have the buyer do that. And cheaper. They can't tape them like a production tent.

wildcat33

WKR
So Seek, Kifaru, Mytrail, and the others discussed here all require that you use a seam treatment when you get them home?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
So Seek, Kifaru, Mytrail, and the others discussed here all require that you use a seam treatment when you get them home?

Technically you don't HAVE to...but if you want the seams not to leak in heavy rains then yes they all should be seam sealed.

OP
Jtelarkin08
When I bought my my trail shelter the other day it gave me the option to buy a sealer so I did. It was just a spray bottle. Said to spray the whole tent down. So I gave it two coats and hit the seems 3 times. Is that all I needed to seal it?