Solo or Two person Shelter Tut or Redcliff??

I currently have a Mountain Smith LT and that thing is bomb proof. If i hunt solo above timber that will most likely be the shelter I take. All my hunts are August September archery. The next few hunts I will be going on will be Elk in New Mexico(hopefully) and Colorado. So i will be able to camp below timber or at least out of the wind. This year will be solo and next year will be with a buddy. So what do you guys think??? If i went with the Tut we could always take the Mountain smith for gear when going two man for extra room. But honestly i like the idea of the room in the redcliff.

OP
Jtelarkin08
PS i think i have started a similar thread a month or so ago and i have read the redcliff tut sawtooth thread and I still cant decide

DaveC

WKR
Tut. Redcliffe is rather large and heavier and more wind sensitive.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The "more wind sensitive" bit I would doubt. However the Redcliff is massive for two. Fine if you need the room, but something Tut size seems a better fit for the 1-2 person backpacking realm.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
The "more wind sensitive" bit I would doubt. However the Redcliff is massive for two. Fine if you need the room, but something Tut size seems a better fit for the 1-2 person backpacking realm.
Why would you doubt it?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why wouldn't I?

Large, steep, non-angled panels generally spell deflection.
Maybe we're misunderstanding each other. I'm saying redcliffe will be more prone to damage in higher winds because of larger panels and less guy outs, hence more wind sensitive.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I would pick a mytrail co Pyramid 4 for $319 right now long before I picked up a tut for $650.

Fly itself is 29 oz and about 36 oz with guylines and stakes. Roughly 30% more space than the tut, lighter weight, MUCH cheaper, and comes with a full size nest if you want can afford the weight and want to have a floor and fully bug proof tent as well.

Pyramid 4 Shelter – My Trail Company

OP
Jtelarkin08
I would pick a mytrail co Pyramid 4 for $319 right now long before I picked up a tut for $650.

Fly itself is 29 oz and about 36 oz with guylines and stakes. Roughly 30% more space than the tut, lighter weight, MUCH cheaper, and comes with a full size nest if you want can afford the weight and want to have a floor and fully bug proof tent as well.

Wow luke this is exactly what im needing.

The Cimarron is another option. It's light enough for solo and will have plenty of room for two. I was going back and forth between a Radcliff, 4 man, Cimarron, and the Silvertip and ended going with the Cimarron.

dotman

WKR

Is that the golite sl5 reborn?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Is that the golite sl5 reborn?

Correct...they have been around a couple years now. Glad to see that option is back. I bought my Cimarron in the lull between GoLite going out of biz and MyTrail starting.

My SL-5 finally died on a wicked night on Kodiak after 6 trips to that island along and well over 200 nights in the field. I truly believe UV damage after 200 nights out took its toll over the 5 years of use. When my Cimarron dies I will likely get the Pyramid again to replace it....if MyTrail is still around. :)

oldgoat

WKR
From videos Aron has done I would go tut over sawtooth. I don't really hunt late season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't either in it, me and the wife use it archery elk,, room for two and gear, stove and wood. Redcliff is huge, there's a real good video on YouTube about it.

dotman

WKR
Correct...they have been around a couple years now. Glad to see that option is back. I bought my Cimarron in the lull between GoLite going out of biz and MyTrail starting.

My SL-5 finally died on a wicked night on Kodiak after 6 trips to that island along and well over 200 nights in the field. I truly believe UV damage after 200 nights out took its toll over the 5 years of use. When my Cimarron dies I will likely get the Pyramid again to replace it....if MyTrail is still around. :)

While I liked my SL5 I prefer my Cimmaron, 5 years is pretty impressive for the SL5 especially for how much use and where the use was!

OP
Jtelarkin08

I ordered one last night Luke. That's exactly what I was wanting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk