Solo OTC success

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! That's a very cool looking bull.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Awesome! Happy for you. Good "real world" feedback on the effort required to get an animal out.

You raise a good point on packing elk out solo. It is doable depending on the person, elk and terrain. I’ve done it but it only included one ridge climb then relatively flat after that.

We make it a point when we are hunting an area “Way back” or in real nasty areas to make sure we also scout a pack out route. There is typically a good route to hunt and a different route that is easier just to hike in/out, even if it is longer and includes relocating start point to different access/trailhead or having different start/end points.

caesAR15

Lil-Rokslider
Packed in just over 4 miles to one of my favorite spots. It was freaking brutal weather for early September! Massive wind storm was dropping trees everywhere, it snowed 3 inches and temps in the teens.... first day in had a close encounter with a 6 point bull and some cows but could not close the deal. The next morning I got up and bugled into a drainage about 300 yards from my tent. A bull instantly responded. I worked towards him about 50 yards and cow called three times. When he responded he had cut the distance in half. I had to shed a bunch of clothing and try to get in position quickly. I ranged two trees at 28 and 56. He split them, I cow called and he stopped. I put the 40 yard pin on him and touch it off. He spun ran 30 yards and piled up in a tree. I then had the pleasure of breaking him down alone and hauling out two loads before I swallowed my pride and went and got help. He was a super cool bull, kind of a freak. We named him “pork and beans”.

Noice!!

Congrats. Post like this give me great motivation. I should be heading to Wyoming on the general tag solo this year You would not believe the shade I’ve been receiving from my Midwest buddies frankly I’ve just quite bringing it up to avoid the negatively.

Fatcamp

WKR
Congrats. Post like this give me great motivation. I should be heading to Wyoming on the general tag solo this year You would not believe the shade I’ve been receiving from my Midwest buddies frankly I’ve just quite bringing it up to avoid the negatively.

30 years ago when I was determined to leave Iowa and strike out on my own all my friends and aquantances tried to convince me I would be back with my tail between my legs.

Well, I came back from time to time, but over the next six years I learned how to travel cheap, work with people from all backgrounds in challenging situations, and to live and thrive in all landscapes and weather. All this while they lived the same life I had run from. More power to them, but I wanted more, and I got it. And you can too. Never let someone else's fear control what you do. Prepare accordingly, but live your dreams.