Solo Setup Tips?

Hi All,

Saturday I had great experiences calling bulls in, as got one close in the morning and the afternoon.

Morning I wasn't able to convince him to come the last 80 yards down off the ridge where I saw him, to the wallow area. I tried to sound like we (hot cow and when that didn't work a bull too) were in the trees he'd have to come down to see, but he didn't go for it. I'll try to set up so on the same plane next time without needing for him to come down to me.

Afternoon I sat down to be low profile just over a slight rise in hillside terrain where I was pretty sure they were bedded, with arrow nocked and ready. After only 5 minutes or less I heard those dreaded big thuds of a bull running away just about 20 yards from me. He saw me first and realized real quick it wasn't the hot cow bikini party he was expecting.

So...any general tips on how to set up when solo?

When calling, I try to direct calls to sides so hopefully they'll give me more of a broadside vs. head on coming straight to my sounds, but any tips on trying to set up for that broadside shot?

Great fun regardless but do want to fill my freezer!

Thanks,

s

Call and move if terrain allows it. Be ready for a frontal if you dont guide him exactly where you want him. Keep your head on a swivel at all times. I do something most don't or won't do thats not for everyone. I call very loud because i want them in my lap. Even when they are within that 75-100 yards when they hang up and need a little convincing. Best of luck out there.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a decoy with success solo hunting and I can say at times, it has gotten the elks attention away from me and got them in a nice shot position. Was key at putting elk meat in my freezer on a couple occassions.

It's an older renzo's cow decoy. They come with small plastic keepers to set it up but ive learned to not put the one on the neck crease. In very little wind, it's neck moves on the fold and can actually look pretty awesome. Also hanging it on a small branch by a hole in it's back lets the whole decoy move somewhat, in my opinion making it very noticeable and realistic.

The Montana's seem to be more packable.

I will pick my decoy spot (somewhere it stands out) and then I set up 30-40 yards infront/off to the to the side that best works for the given wind.

My hope is that any elk that responds and gets withing range, see's the decoy and thinks thats where the sound is coming from and focuses on it. They work, but can be a pain to lug around.

For self preservation, I try and avoid using it in any open area where another hunter can see it from a distance.

On one hunt, I actually called a cougar in and could tell the second he put eyes on the decoy. Then I watched him stalk in. Was real cool until the cat was 12 or so yards away, then I spooked it.

In any case, has worked for me and might be something you'd want to try.

Last edited: