Solo Tent Advice

I have a Seek Outside Cimarron which is awesome for 2 guys. I was going to do a solo overnighter last weekend and didn't because this was my only real tent to take and it is a little much for one guy. I have 2 man REI tent but that is heavier than the Cimarron. I ended up doing a big day hike but once I was in wished I had packed overnight gear. So this got me solo tent shopping!

I was thinking just another floorless type shelter but then I found the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo which really interests me because I wouldn't need to pack my UL bivy (~6oz) and ground sheet for my sleeping pad. But it sounds like condensation is pretty bad, so I'd probably pack my bivy anyways to keep my down bag dry and at that point, maybe I should just get a floorless shelter. But I do like the idea of an enclosed shelter, and I am interested in doublewalls. But, I really liked the price point of the SMD Solo and that is about what I'm looking to spend - max of $200, hopefully less. I really want an ultralight setup that I could just have in my pack so I had the option of making a day hunt an overnighter.

All that said - any advice? Any experience with the SMD solo or other solo shelters? Other suggestions? Thanks!

snowplow

WKR
Not exactly what your asking but that's pretty much where l was at and after playing with tarps lm hooked. My preferred setup right now is a DST tarp or similar with an ultralight bivy. Lighter than almost everything, adaptable quickly to almost anything, more space than any tent, and not really any different than the tipi l used to use. And compared to everything else dirt cheap.

Just some food for thought.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
G
Not exactly what your asking but that's pretty much where l was at and after playing with tarps lm hooked. My preferred setup right now is a DST tarp or similar with an ultralight bivy. Lighter than almost everything, adaptable quickly to almost anything, more space than any tent, and not really any different than the tipi l used to use. And compared to everything else dirt cheap.

Just some food for thought.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Thanks will check out - I am open to any suggestions! I haven't really settled on any one idea

hikenhunt

WKR
Similar to what your looking at, the Tarptent Protrail. I have an older version and love it. It's big enough to sleep two in a pinch, if you don't mind getting cozy, which means its very spacious for one.

If your looking to save some money how about one of those eureka one man tunnel type tents. They run under a hundred bucks.

tttoadman

WKR
The lunar solo is my go to shelter most of the year. I don’t see condensation any worse than anything else. I am only 5-10, so I can set it up really high for better ventilation. My other solo shelter is the silvertip with a bathtub floor/nest. Small weight penalty for a lot more room.

OP
G
The lunar solo is my go to shelter most of the year. I don’t see condensation any worse than anything else. I am only 5-10, so I can set it up really high for better ventilation. My other solo shelter is the silvertip with a bathtub floor/nest. Small weight penalty for a lot more room.
Nice, how much pack volume does the Lunar take up?

tttoadman

WKR
Nice, how much pack volume does the Lunar take up?
It seems like about 3”x 15”. I think that can include my custom 5/8 alum pole if I don’t want to use my trek pole. Don’t buy any of their poles.

No matter what, it is a solid late season shelter for the cost. A little cramped, but it will be standing when you get back at night.

OP
G
It seems like about 3”x 15”. I think that can include my custom 5/8 alum pole if I don’t want to use my trek pole. Don’t buy any of their poles.

No matter what, it is a solid late season shelter for the cost. A little cramped, but it will be standing when you get back at night.
Nice I think this is the route I'm going to go I just need to find a good deal to push me over the edge

Also take a look at the Kifaru Paratarp. If you use trekking poles, it’s a great option. You can add an annex if you want to button it down and use a stove, or leave the end open.

jmden

WKR
TarpTent Rainbow. Have been using it for 7-8 years. At least a couple of times a year, I deep dive research into all the solo offerings and continually come back to the Rainbow. It is much larger than the rest of the offerings. It has 30d floor and tent body so is relatively more robust than many of the other offerings. I can get my pack and rifle and boots and everything in the tent with me if need be. It is 40" wide so you could get two people with standard 20" wide pads in it. Mine weighs less than 2 lbs. It is super fast to set up and take down. It has decent ventilation with plenty around the bottom and two vents at top. I take a small cotton rag with me (.4 oz) to mop of condensation if it's an issue. The large size and relatively, comparably robust fabric and often just about lowest cost are some of the highlights. Most of the other are so small, I cannot imagine being stuck in them like I was last weekend in the Rainbow. I cook on a Soto stove in the tent no problem. It does not require a trekking pole(s), which I use during the day when away from the tent, for support and many of these solo ultra lightweight tents do and that weight is not included in their final marketed weight and most of them are smaller anyway. A very good living space for those wanting to go super light and keep bugs, etc. out and have a real floor.

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Luxe Hexpeak Tipi Don't mind it for solo, fits you and all your gear. I tried with 2 guys and it is pretty cramped. Looking at maybe upgrading next year to a Jimmy Tarp.

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Really like my Eureka Spitfire-1. Plenty of headroom for sitting up while reading or when getting dressed. The vestibule space is pretty small if staked down normally, but if you prop up the end of it with a stick or pole you can turn it into more of an awning with plenty of room for cooking while staying inside the tent.

ndbuck09

WKR
Just got home from 7 nights in the Tarptent Notch Li. It's a trekking pole tent and it handled 5 days of rain and snow at 8k ft here in Idaho. I'm really excited about all the awesomeness of this tent! magnetic door tiebacks, double vestibules, 20oz, double wall!

Gatewood cape in your pack gives you a sleeping option plus it acts as rain gear. A sil poly ground sheet and some stakes and you are good to go for an impromptu over night...assuming you day hike with a pad and sleeping bag.

I love my MTN Laurel desings duomid. Great size for 1 and gear. weighs under 20oz
There's one in the classifieds I have been eyeing. Uses 1 trekking pole