Solo time

I was able to catch some of Joe Rohan’s podcast featuring Aron Snyder. Aron mentioned something about the short timeframe that most people can take solo before bailing out.

I don’t spend time on the mountain or in the woods like Aron Snyder does. I’m no Aron Snyder and I don’t play one on the internet, but solo time is precious and coveted by me.

it seems like it takes me three to five days to just get the noise out of my head.

Eventually, I’ll start jonesing for a salad, fresh fruit, maybe to chase the wife around the house, but being alone isn’t an issue for me.

I enjoy the camaraderie of elk hunts with buddies, I’m not antisocial. I just enjoy solo as well. The idea of getting sick of yourself in three days is alien to me.

What is it about solo that grinds so many guys down?

And I recognize that I’m a lightweight compared to many. My longest solo time was three weeks on a canoe trip. And I think I’d be less comfortable solo in real grizzly country. I’d like extra eyes.

Having a 2 year old at home who I love more than anything will be the hardest thing this year. I have to justify that time away by producing something from it, meat hopefully. Coming home empty handed and missing out with a kid is the worst.

I really have no clue why some people are more able to be alone for protracted periods versus the majority. I do think there's an element of being a bit antisocial. Even if you happen to like and enjoy other people. you can do without them for long(er) periods and you might even prefer to be alone. This is quite different from someone who ordinarily always does things with people, but decides to try a solo endeavor and succeeds. To further confound people, I have a friend who is extraordinarily social and loves being in a crowd....but he has done many solo hunts in very lonely places with no form of communication for several weeks. So go make your best guess why any particular person does what they do.

I've pretty much always been a loner at hunting, though I've typically had a partner along on very far-flung hunts. I've done solo trips in Alaska for up to 15 days and really enjoyed it. No book, music or entertainment of any kind. The river, the hills and the wildlife are all I need. I particularly enjoy being able to be completely self-determining for that long. NOBODY to consider or make allowances for. It's something very few people ever get to experience for 2-3 weeks nonstop.

When cruising timber in Utah worked often 10 days out with zero contact, then 4 days home. Not a big deal for me being solo. Have had friends complain and bail off the mountain after being solo 1 night. These guys had camped/hunted with me 10 days straight no issues at all.

I believe has to do with self-confidence in your skills and abilities in a crisis situation. Until that mettle is tested in a real situation it is really an unknown. I've seen "tough" guys melt down over trivial crap, and "nerds" rise to tremendous heights when the cards were tough.

If you have high confidence in your bushcraft skills and proven mettle in difficult situations it breeds comfort in the solo realm. Can you handle what the mountain might throw at you and thrive in adversity or become the victim of circumstance?

(BTW: @Kevin Dill is a badass - I think I'd be tweaking after two nights without a book to read! Was glad to have my little NT pocket Bible hidden in my pack when my Kindle Paperwhite took a dump last year on day 1!!! )

OP
O
Kevin has some fantastic Hunt recaps. Find them. You’ll enjoy them all.

Maybe it’s that my life is perpetually noisy. I love my kids. I like people. I just enjoy a good chunk of no other voices than my own in my head.

I think better.

deziner75

FNG
I'm anxiously anticipating a solo antelope hunt this fall. While it will not be backcountry, I'm looking forward to disconnecting a bit. Previous to this trip, my hunts have been primarily solo day hunts. I found early on that I enjoyed my hunts more alone. As others have said, not being tied down and having complete control over your situation is unmatchable. Working a career that is largely reactive to schedule and other influences, being free of that and outside is amazing.

mlgc20

WKR
There used to be nothing I looked forward to more than solo backcountry time. Whether it was hunting, fishing, or backpacking. Being a father has softened me a lot. I have two trips to Colorado planned this year. A September archery trip that will be solo. And a first rifle trip in October that will be with my 13 and 10 year old daughters. While I will certainly enjoy the solo trip. I‘m way more excited about the trip with my daughters.

Raberd14

FNG
I absolutely love solo hunting. Nobody else's concerns to worry about, just me vs my quarry. I have no kids, and a very forgiving wife... this means lots of woods and mountain time for me!

Ratbeetle

WKR
Having a 2 year old at home who I love more than anything will be the hardest thing this year. I have to justify that time away by producing something from it, meat hopefully. Coming home empty handed and missing out with a kid is the worst.

Yep. Mine will be 2 this month. They grow so dang fast and even after just a few days away I feel like I missed too much. Being alone never bothered me, but i miss my family terribly and even feel a bit guilty when I'm away.

Yep. Mine will be 2 this month. They grow so dang fast and even after just a few days away I feel like I missed too much. Being alone never bothered me, but i miss my family terribly and even feel a bit guilty when I'm away.

We are definitely in the same boat, so hard to not let that get in your head and mess with you.

I really enjoy my solo time in the backwoods. I have been deemed an introvert personality though. I enjoy my friends but hate crowds. A concert it a horrifying experience to me! Given choice I like to camp with good hunting partners but that in no way effects my hunting. I always plan my hunts and then invite partners. If they come, great, if not I carry on. One thing I really hate is my phone! Up here in BC when you hit the bush there is usually no phone service which is great. I never send communications to my wife. I feel the time apart is important for our relationship. A guy needs to be comfortable and a "do it all" kinda guy when solo. You need to do all camp chores and pack your own meat back to camp. Unless I am backpacking I enjoy my drinks around the fire as well. Dancing in the woods around a fire is an enjoyable backwoods sole cleanser to me. I dont think I have ever spent more than about 5 days in the backcountry alone. I did a backcountry apline solo elk hunt last year and had an uneasy feeling on that trip. A beauty boar grizz killed a moose about a km from my camp. He would walk by my camp almost daily. I chased him off a few times but that bear had a "look in his eye" that I didnt like. I would have preferred a partner on that trip. I went home two days early on that trip!

rayporter

WKR
enjoyment of the escape? i am blessed to have few places here that i can hunt or hike or ride and rarely see a person. most every year i take a few days and at least ride if not squirrel hunt or deer hunt here.

(BTW: @Kevin Dill is a badass - I think I'd be tweaking after two nights without a book to read!

Unsubstantiated rumor! You wouldn't look twice at me in the grocery store. Well...maybe if I had this shirt on: :)

fbnkhd.png

I do find it interesting.....the deal about how some of us like to have a book, music or other form of distraction, while others want none of it. I have never taken any of that on any hunt in my life. I actually prefer to be out there with just my thoughts, or maybe a song stuck in my head.....which happens every single time. I work at camp chores, hygiene, fishing, shooting my bow and so on. I seldom nap during the day. Even weirder maybe: I typically fly from Ohio to Alaska and back without reading or entertainment during the flights. I've been known to drive 6+ hours without music....by preference.

The one thing I'll admit without hesitation is that I miss my wife dearly while I'm far away and alone. It's not a negative however, and I know how fine it will be to see her when I arrive home.

OP
O
I always have a soundtrack in my head. I don't need to bring extra music. I have brought a book on occasion. When weather bound for a couple of days, that provides some distraction. But I'm not out there reading with regularity.

I'll miss my wife and kids, but I don't find it paralyzing in any way.

I am guilty of enjoying a mid day nap from time to time. Lying under a tree and just relaxing for twenty to forty minutes recharges me and is a pleasure that I never get otherwise.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Not having cell service does wonderful things for the brain and soul. We(or at least I have) become so reliant on them and we're kinda slaves to them to some degree.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been an independent sort of guy since I could crawl. That hasn't changed. I spent a month in BC fly fishing solo several years ago. I saw more bears than I saw people that month, and loved every minute of it. Of course with the conversations I have with myself, it's not really like being solo. ;)

I've been an independent sort of guy since I could crawl. That hasn't changed. I spent a month in BC fly fishing solo several years ago. I saw more bears than I saw people that month, and loved every minute of it. Of course with the conversations I have with myself, it's not really like being solo. ;)

I have those conversations all day every day. I’m either my own best friend, or I should be committed.

All else being equal I think I could do solo (and have in shorter durations), it's just not as fun and having someone else there. I don't think I'd pull stakes and go home because I couldn't cut it, but I know I'd be wishing someone else was with me. Loneliness maybe. I like jokes, like messing with people, I like trading freeze dried and snacks, I like spotting elk first and telling my buddy he can't see shit, stuff like that. In the end the main reason I do any of this is to have fun.

WCB

WKR
I think it is just as simple as everyone is different. Some people thrive in crowds or with company and other don't. Some can do both. I still have a hard time really figuring it out but it is what it is I guess. I think a lot of it also has to do with confidence.

Some guys it doesn't matter if they are solo or with a buddy or two. I get missing kids or your wife/husband...what I don't get is letting it actually affect your hunt or time off. Time apart is good. It has happened to me a couple times that we have filled our tags on day 2 or 3 of a 6 day hunt and one of my buddies is on the phone with his wife and says "yeah we should be home tomorrow". WTF...that wasn't discussed. I have told my buddies the couple times that has happened that this is my time off also and if they plan on leaving early when filled out that needs to be discussed.

I think some people need to cut the cord a little bit and others priorities are just different. But, I think it is hard to explain to some people that just because I enjoy time alone or even with buddies away from the wife and kids does not mean they are #1 priority.