Solo time

AZ8

WKR
I don’t mind solo hunting. Being able to go wherever, whenever is refreshing without coordinating with other hunting partners. I am an introvert by nature and pretty laid back, so its a seamless transition. The longest I’ve hunted alone was 17 days on an elk hunt several years ago. I literally checked out from “life” for almost 3 weeks. But 10 days in, I was missing sharing the day‘s events over a campfire. After awhile, a person needs human interaction.

With that said, I actually enjoy the camaraderie with my closest family and friends at elk camp. Childhood friends 45+ years strong and we still hunt together. My most enjoyable and memorable hunts were with my hunting partners.

As I get older, and some of my mentors and friends are passing away, the hard core drive to fill a tag is waning.......guess I’m in the Sportsman stage and Im OK with that.

Scottyboy

WKR
I’m not even on the same planet as you all, but my “solo” trips I very much enjoy. My favorite hunt every year is in Nebraska and this year a buddy is joining me. I enjoy his company, we have been friends forever but I’m going to very much miss the 8hr drive by myself, hanging out by myself at night. On the flip side it will be good to share some experiences with him away from home which is not often for him.

Comerade

FNG
Hunting by yourself is the gold standard, imo.
I am more observant and more successful hunting alone and it is far more peaceful.
I have made many, many excursions and to the most remote parts of B.C. pursuing Wild sheep. A 10 day backpack hunt in our north country is an almost spiritual experience. No radio, GPS or other technology other than a topographic map.
It teaches a hunter self sufficiency and resolve, imo.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Almost all of my outdoor adventures are solo. Not really by choice, but it's hard to find folks that lineup with my thinking on what's fun (or in the case of hunting, what I think is necessary).

If you want more solo time, simply let your buddies know that you plan on doing a 100 mile backpacking trip in three or four days or that your elk hunt involves a 2500' climb right out of the gate and then it's only 3 miles from there to where you want to camp :D That usually thins the herd pretty quickly.

Scrappy

WKR
I hate people, I hate crowds, I get anxious around people, and love solo anything. My wife is the only person I want around me or to be around. Am I antisocial?

Comerade

FNG
I also prefer my own company, especially while hunting.
I do socialize with the Rodeo crowd, but to mingle with those who don't love the outdoors, hunting, rodeo, good horses and cattle, stock dogs etc...well , it leaves me with little to say.