Solo travel across country

ScottinPA

WKR
I did 32hrs one way solo in 2016 for 9 days hunting. This year I'm doing it again on the way out solo to MT, hunt 10+ days, drive to SD and pickup a buddy at the airport, hunt SD for 3-5 days, drive home.
I typically don't mind it once I'm past Chitcago. Plenty of audiobooks and CDs.

fatlander

WKR
I looked into flying out and driving back but getting a one way rental is very expensive. They usually charge you mileage

Unlimited miles pay by the day is super cheap right now. Make sure you drive international airport to international airport to avoid a hefty drop fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jet4

FNG
Unlimited miles pay by the day is super cheap right now. Make sure you drive international airport to international airport to avoid a hefty drop fee.

The hefty drop fee is the other charge I see when dropping off at different location. I have a Nevada tag this year and it's a 37 hour drive from PA. I can't drive both ways I will loose too many days hunting

dtrkyman

WKR
I drive 15-16 regularly all year not just for hunting trips, 32 hrs one way I am going to be there a month!

Jacack

WKR
Sw florida to wy, nm over the last two years and sd both years for grouse and pheasant. Utah this year, all solo.

Only difference is I hunt up to two weeks most trips if needed.

I honestly dont mind the drive that much as i can take whatever i can fit in the truck.i normally do 12-14 hr days on the way out and and go as hard as I safely can on the way home.

Reactions: FLS

CJohnson

WKR
Granted I don’t go solo, but I think flying for me would ruin a hunt. I hate airports, security checks, flights delays, etc., etc. I think our trip from SC to CO last year was ~30 hours and it really wasn’t that bad.

What part of SC are you from?

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
I’m from Greenville but moved up to NH a few years back.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
I drove from Baltimore to Northern Colorado and back solo for an elk hunt a few years ago. I got home just in time for the birth of my son. I was pushing hard and driving some gnarly hours to get home for that one.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
drove 1700 miles my last elk hunt. Got there 12 days early to scout, killed a bull on opening day of a five day hunt. Headed back to do the same this fall. Always solo. WAY prefer it over having to adjust to someone else's timelines.

Last edited:

Jet4

FNG
I drew a Nevada deer tag this year and it's a 2500 mile drive ! Only get 2 week vacation

I did 27hrs one way to WY last year...was gonna spend 2 weeks but filled my elk and antelope tags in 3 days..left here on a sat and was back the following Sunday...went thru 3.5 audio books.

Gmark

FNG
I travel 8 hours each way for weekend trips to Georgia but with some plans to go to WY or MT I have been thinking that flying would be the best option especially if it is for a week of hunting - it would take me 32 hours of non-stop driving (2,200 miles) one way to get to WY (MT would be a few more hours) so I would loose at least four days of vacation just for driving. For now, flying seems like my only viable option, especially if I am only hunting deer / antelope. I will have to figure out some shipping options for when I get the opportunity to do some elk hunting.