Solo with llamas?

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Alright. Same old story. Im obsessed with going on a CO elk hunt in 2020, but the two guys I'm supposed to go with are already backpeddling/showing little commitment. So I have begun to plan a solo trip as a contingency. It will be my first hunt out west, and my first elk hunt, but I do plan to make at least one scouting trip this year, and hopefully another next summer. I already have all the gear I need, so that isn't a concern. But I am a little concerned about dealing with the meat alone if I am successful. I plan to get in pretty good shape by then, but Im also a flatlander and I dont plan to underestimate the Rocky Mountains. I am toying with the idea of renting a couple of llamas to pack in and out with. I was wondering if anyone here has gone solo with llamas before, and what the pros and cons are for that approach. Obviously, they arent cheap but besides the expense, are there any negatives? Seems like a no brainer having a couple "buddies" there who could haul 75lbs of meat a piece. Thanks in advance.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Why wait until 2020?!? Go this fall.

If you're successful, pack out your elk. If you don't enjoy the weight of success then rent some animals.

EDIT: there is a lot of learning to do on your first elk trip. I wouldn't recommend the extra burden of having to care for llamas by yourself. You'll need to lead them to water, make sure they're safe and fed, and heaven forbid one gets loose on you... I'd strongly advise against this plan.

Have a packer lined up if you want the help instead.

Last edited:

chindits

WKR
I hope you get some replies. Every year the same thought goes through my mind as I get older but my rambling range doesn’t get any shorter. If you use some, tell us how it goes. You might shoot squirrel a p.m. he’s north CO.

By the way, last falls bull boned out at 200 pounds so if you pack a load too you are probably looking at two trips for meat and camp if you have 2 helping you.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know much about llamas, but I am in NC and wouldn't mind chatting about working together. I'm on the job hunt now, so its possible I won't be in NC long, but I know several folks who are and are into the idea of going.

squirrel

WKR
Absolutely it will work for you, given a good attitude, reasonable skills/aptitude, and of course work your way up. For a first trip I would not head into the Needles off trail solo 15 miles in with a bow... But 4 miles on a trail you should be able to make that a successful trip (trip, not hunt, a successful HUNT requires a successful trip first) If you do a scouting trip I would give thought to using the animals on that trip, do your llama learning when you are not also putting pressure on yourself to hunt.

I take people on summer runs every summer as a learning adventure. Very quickly they LEARN that I am using them for free labor to train new boys ;) But they get an in depth experience that they would otherwise have to pay for in more than just the $. People pick up ideas far better when they see it rather than just listening about it in my yard while "training".

If I rent to people that have the desire but who were born into the pitiful existence of a city life that struggled with too difficult of a trip on a first adventure (from over-reaching) I look at these as prime victims for a training trip to a high lake for some brook trout. After their problem trip they are now ready to pay attention, ask the right questions and most of all they know WHY they need to ask. (Cause stupidity in the back country has a steep price)

Last summer I took just such a couple on an overnighter. I think it is here under pack stock from last June. It was a hoot, I'm a primitive Pete she is a radical vegan but we don't get pissy we just laugh at each other, she heard an elk bark and got a moose paddle, like a 5 year old on Christmas morning.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know much about llamas, but I am in NC and wouldn't mind chatting about working together. I'm on the job hunt now, so its possible I won't be in NC long, but I know several folks who are and are into the idea of going.
This is something I am definitely interested in. As long as you all are as crazy as I am :)

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely it will work for you, given a good attitude, reasonable skills/aptitude, and of course work your way up. For a first trip I would not head into the Needles off trail solo 15 miles in with a bow... But 4 miles on a trail you should be able to make that a successful trip (trip, not hunt, a successful HUNT requires a successful trip first) If you do a scouting trip I would give thought to using the animals on that trip, do your llama learning when you are not also putting pressure on yourself to hunt.

I take people on summer runs every summer as a learning adventure. Very quickly they LEARN that I am using them for free labor to train new boys ;) But they get an in depth experience that they would otherwise have to pay for in more than just the $. People pick up ideas far better when they see it rather than just listening about it in my yard while "training".

If I rent to people that have the desire but who were born into the pitiful existence of a city life that struggled with too difficult of a trip on a first adventure (from over-reaching) I look at these as prime victims for a training trip to a high lake for some brook trout. After their problem trip they are now ready to pay attention, ask the right questions and most of all they know WHY they need to ask. (Cause stupidity in the back country has a steep price)

Last summer I took just such a couple on an overnighter. I think it is here under pack stock from last June. It was a hoot, I'm a primitive Pete she is a radical vegan but we don't get pissy we just laugh at each other, she heard an elk bark and got a moose paddle, like a 5 year old on Christmas morning.

Thank you for the reply. And a summer training run sounds awesome! Please let me know how to set something like this up.

squirrel

WKR
Thank you for the reply. And a summer training run sounds awesome! Please let me know how to set something like this up.

I go every week soon as the snow recedes. It is my job, after all, and by damn I refuse to enjoy it, the smile is just camo for the misery.

Definitely possible. I have llamas, and I'm comfortable going solo with them, but my preference is to bring my wife since she spent the most time training them, or at least a friend. Looking back now, I would not want to take them solo with zero experience. A lot can go wrong. The training trip suggested by Squirrel would be very smart if you are serious, and if you are serious then go for it!

Xfactor

FNG

is this something you do with people who are wanting to rent llamas from you? or is it open to others that are just wanting to learn as well? i'm considering purchasing llamas, some firsthand experience would be an huge asset.

Oldffemt

WKR
Squirrel, I’d be interested in some llama training as well and should be in N. CO this summer. I have lots of experience bp hunting there but would love to let a few critters do some of the packing for me. What area are you in?

squirrel

WKR
Rules are simple, it is my trip, destination, departure, all meaningful decisions are mine. This is a free trip financially to accept any payment is a felony, so there will be none. You will not be taking my A team llamas, you will be taking new or near new trainees. I may laugh at you, it is ok if you laugh at me, but be nice to my dog and my llamas! No kids. Sense of humor will be a huge asset. If you are smart you will learn a lot. The trail is the best teacher but grading can be harsh. I usually go in 2-5 miles spend the night, generally at a lake, hang out tell lies and get up and hike out, back to work. Usually this is on a weekday.

squirrel

WKR
Long experience says most talk about it but do not show, just the way it is... It's why for paid trips a deposit is required, until there is skin in the game it is bar stool BS. It is also why if you are 20 minutes late I'll be gone. Now I, on the other hand, can be two HOURS late and it is "unavoidable"... ;)

bisblue

WKR
I packed solo with llamas I rented last year. Not my first western hunt, but I read several books about llamas beforehand. Really cool, I want some now. Did 11 miles and 5k of elevation while packing water our first afternoon and next morning.