Solo

Solo or Partner

• Total voters

littlebuf

Banned
ill be solo as always.ive tried hunting with partners before and i just dont like it.part of why im out there is to be alone in the wilderness

Ozz08

WKR
Pretty sure I'll be doing my CA deer hunts solo as well as my CO elk hunt. My dad refuses to get back into shape and my brother let his wife lay the hammer down on him even though I said all he has to do is pay for the tag and I will cover all travel expenses. Oh well even though I will be in new unfamiliar territory I actually look forward to hunting alone.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be hunting solo Archery in Idaho and montana if I draw.Then take some friends and family on a hunt in october.

dot 1

FNG
going solo this year for mulies and elk. tired of doin all the scouting alone and then dragging out of shape friends to the high country so i can do all the calling and spotting. maybe its a bad attitude but this is serious stuff and it takes year round commitment, and they aint willing to work as hard for it, it seems. with thousands invested in the right gear and miles of running in the winter plus time away from fam scouting all summer, i dont think i have time for maybes and whining come sept. grumpy this winter i guess.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me it is solo 75+% of the time. Most of my archery harvests have been solo ventures and 90% of the rifle harvests. Camp life depending on the year may have 1-2 buddies to share the stories with. Packing is another story. I will try to find 1-2 buddies to help, but there have been a few solo elk packs which makes for a long day or two and then a long few days of recovery 4sure! Team calling definately has its advantages and another shooting lane a few feet away in heavy brush can all the difference at someone having a shot.

hunting1

WKR
I will most likely be solo this year. My Marine budding is PCS to east coast and the other won't be able to draw with me this year. I prefer hunting solo, but wll miss the conversation at night and in the mornings.

Lawnboi

WKR
Most likly solo for me this year. I cant find people around here who are as committed as i am. I need someone who can keep up with me, and is willing to put in the time and pain to do so.

If i found someone like myself to go with i would be all over hunting with a partner

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy both, but truth be told prefer solo. As for why, I'm not sure, perhaps I have something to prove to myself?

sk1

WKR
i think solo in most cases increases your odds, i had a shot on an elk blown already this year for taking a partner. i thought it would be nice to have someone come with me, but truth be told most of the time i was there, i was wishing i went solo

Solo baby! If my dad was still alive he would be ok to hunt with. Solo is better. You can do so much more. Less quiet and less smell are two pros!!

muleman

WKR
Some of both, I enjoy the company and help of a partner. I also enjoy being by myself and doing it my way and at my pace.

I vote Solo.

With 3 friends this year, but probably the last time unless I can find someone willing to go on scouting trips and get in shape. Love the camaraderie, but am tired of waiting on guys who believe they are physically fit until they try to hump a 30+ pound pack into a remote area. Tired of feeling overall responsible for success or failure too - makes a hunting trip feel like work.

Committed friends are tough to find when you are 40+ years old and everyone around you has a family, professional responsibilities, etc.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
All of my friends think I'm stupid for paying non-resident fees, driving several hours, being uncomfortable for a week and often coming home empty handed.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was with a couple friends the first week. Going back solo. I get things done better by myself and can do things on my own time and pace. makes it quite harder to pack out a bull solo but usually end up finding help.