Solomon 4d 3 gtx?

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
I have 4 pairs. Just started breaking in a new pair. They are great boots. They are pretty breathable and you notice it when the temps drop. If I was expecting snow I would go a little more boot. But my feet are always cold.

grfox92

WKR
probably the most discussed boot in the forums history. Do a quick search and you will find hours of reading. Long story short, probably the most comfortable boots ever made but are not waterproof after the second day you wear them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Vex

FNG
Very comfortable boot. Defiantly don’t work in snow. I think I’m on my 9th pair, just bought two more. On sale at moose jaw. I wear them everyday and work construction, buy a new pair every six months.

Very comfortable, with plenty of support. I wear them daily to work. Most people claim they are not waterproof, but I haven't tested them for waterproofness yet. I have been caught in the rain, but have not walked through standing water.

prm

WKR
Clearly others have had issues with waterproofing. I have three pairs and all are fine. Finally retired a pair that had been elk hunting 5-6 seasons plus countless miles hiking and deer hunting.
I’ve worn them one season where we got 9” of snow. Fine while hiking but a bit cold when standing around.

Rob5589

WKR
Bought mine due to all the good stuff about them on here. Great boot, no issues with the waterproofing on mine. They are good for light snow but if you are really mashing through deeper stuff you'll need more boot.

fatlander

WKR
I’m in the rare minority that doesn’t think they’re the most comfortable boot made. My lathrop and sons MH elites were more comfortable out of the box and much more do after breaking in.

All synthetics will eventually wet out. Your mileage may vary, but my 4ds haven’t wet out in the snow, only walking at distance through tall wet grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike 338

WKR
I've had/have a couple pair. I decided to relegate them to being work boots because they have a terrible squeak to them.

I tried a pair in 11 and 11.5. The 11’s bit into my pinky toe. The 11.5s were just too big.

Wanted to love them but they didn’t work for my foot.

ChrisS

WKR
A few years ago, I spent about $1400 on boots through Amazon and shipping back ones that didn't fit my feet. I eventually settled on some Hanwag Alaskans, but they were still too stiff for me and killed my feet. I switched to 4Ds and haven't regretted it. They've worked fine for me even last season hunting in 10-15" of snow* in the Adirondacks and covering 3-8 miles a day. Throw some quality gaiters over them and I've had no problem.

*I used them for 10 days, but that was also going back to a nice warm camp every night so they had a chance to dry out if needed.

Last edited:
Clearly others have had issues with waterproofing. I have three pairs and all are fine. Finally retired a pair that had been elk hunting 5-6 seasons plus countless miles hiking and deer hunting.
I’ve worn them one season where we got 9” of snow. Fine while hiking but a bit cold when standing around.
Did you treat them with anything to keep them waterproof? I have treated mine with Nikwax crème and Nikwax spray, but just haven't subjected them to water yet to see if they leak or not.

muddydogs

WKR
I have the 4d and X-ALP boots, the 4d have been worn every day for almost a year now. About a month ago between the snow melt, rain and the city turning on the irrigation water I ended up with 4 to 6 inches of standing water in my back yard that I spent a couple hours standing in with both boot and never had a leak. My 4d's have been used and abused, never treated the outside with anything but mud and crud and they didn't leak a drop. The X-Alps haven't seen the use the 4d's have but they have a few hunting season miles on them.

Very comfortable but you better not walk through wet grass!!! I tried all kind of waterproofing spray and wax but it would only last a day or two. They are work boots only now.

Kronos

FNG
Best boot I've worn to date. 1000ish miles of hiking on them and no problems with waterproofing. Just ordered another pair due to the sales.

I have the 2nd version of this boots from 6 years ago. I’ve played in the snow for hours with the kids and never gotten wet as Long as I had snow pants cover the top. I’ve heard the the 3 has durability issues so I’m looking for a purchase on the 2 again. Mine have never had the problems I read about and are just now starting to show any wear after hiking a couple of miles at least 2-3 weekends a month and sometimes a lot more. I would kill for a non gtx version for the summer that didn’t look all tacticool like the forces model

Vandy321

WKR
Mine are leaking now as well. I looked again, they claim "weatherproof" but not "waterproof". Anyone know if Salomon's limited warranty will cover them leaking? Wasnt an issue in snow, but they suck up the water in the wet grass now that its warmed up.

Either way, the most comfortable boot I've owned, will always have a pair laying around now, waterproof or not.

Update:
Amazon will not honor or facilitate the Salomon warranty on these boots. And Salomon just refers me to the Authorized dealer I bought them through (Amazon). Do not order these boots through Amazon. Plus, Bezos sucks anyways...

Last edited: