Solomon 4D flex rating?

Kelias10

FNG
Can’t find a pair to try on around SE TX. Are they stiff enough to pack out an elk in SW CO?

Sled

WKR
Day 1 maybe. By the end of the hunt you'll be using them as street shoes. A week later they're slippers. That said, you can pack out in flat terrain with shoes. If you're in the steeps you might want more support.

It all depends on your feet, but they are probably a 3 on a 1-5 type scale. I used them for a long time until the changed the design recently. If they fit good you will be fine

Overwire

FNG
I think boot stiffness preference is a highly personal thing. The Solomon’s are a relatively flexible boot as far as popular hunting boots go. I have used the 4d forces model ( they don’t have the riveted eyelets that rip out) all over Colorado and wouldn’t hesitate to use them anywhere but I prefer a very flexible boot and feel more secure and safer when I can feel the ground no matter how narly the terrain is or how much weight I am carrying. There are many people on the complete other end of the spectrum.

Riplip

WKR
I would say they are medium stiff, they are plenty burly enough for me packing out elk. Packed out two this season. They are not the most durable boot out there but they fit me right out of the box, no break in required. I am using orange superfeet as well. I have tried all of the major boot brands, and not found a better boot for me.

ljalberta

WKR
People have packed out elk in tennis shoes and trail runners. Not my cup of tea personally. I have used them for significant miles under load. For me personally, I prefer a stiffer sole for the pack out. Some think the Quest 4d is perfect. Some things you have to try to figure out what works personally for you.

The boots are absolutely up to the task, but they’re not the best option for everyone out there.

OP
K

Kelias10

FNG
Thanks for reply’s. I am leaning towards a slightly more flexible boot so I can use them for whitetail here in the south. I have a pair of crispi idahos my buddy is letting me try on since they are not sold in our region. Nice boot, 3 flex, but seem like I would only use them for 1 week a year. I looked at the Keen Pittsburg, but not sure the sole would hold up.

Used these boots for one season and would never consider using them again. Too flexible for anything more than rolling hills and extremely poor durability/quality.

They fit my feet great and are comfortable (I've been searching for another boot that comes close in both regards), but I would never again hunt in them.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I would say they are a 1. Any kind of pack out off trail, I would say no. They make great mall shoes
You guys must either be really hard core or have some jacked up feet! 😂

The durability is definitely lacking. They’re a 2 season boot at best, but they’re usually about half the cost of crispis or other hunting boots. I’ve packed and hunted with them for almost 10 years, 4th pair. I’ve packed out a lot of dead stuff in those 10 years, lots of 100 plus pound loads and never thought “this sucks because my boot is flexible”…I’ve thought “this sucks” a lot tho!!!

Wrongside

WKR
I like the 4D for what it is. There are better choices for off-trail in the mountains. I switch boots depending on the trip. But they’re a decent choice for less demanding terrain.

But I only buy them on sale, because durability isn’t there. Still not sure I’m a fan of the new model, but don’t have many miles with them.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 4D and the mids; packed out 2 CO elk this season in the 4Ds. The 4Ds are noticeably more stiff than the mids. I’d put them at a 3 and 2 respectively. I have a pair of Crispi Hunters that are a 4 and they are like walking in a ski boot with how stiff the rocker is. Neither Salomon pair is water proof, hardly water resistant, but they are comfortable right out the box.

On a 1 to 5 they start out as a 2 and quickly turn to a 1. I wore out a few pairs because they fit me so well but in the end I had to part ways with them.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
I've had three pairs now and would rate them a 2.5 on the (mostly arbitrary) stiffness scale. They're the most comfortable boots I've every worn. You don't NEED ultra stiff boots to pack loads or hunt mountains. The gnarliest hunt I've ever done culminated in long packouts just below treeline in single digit temps through snow with 90 and 100lb loads, and my Quest 4Ds were the least of my complaints.

I have boots that are rated 3 and 4, I wear them for some hunts, but nothing is more comfortable for my feet than those Salomons. Go ahead and try stiffer boots but there's no rule that says you can't do everything with the Quests if they work well for you. There are sheep hunters using lighter boots than those.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk