Solomon quest 4d vs Crispi Colorodo

Looking to buy first real backcountry hunting boot for hiking and hunting like both but saw the solomons wear out relatively easily. Was wondering if it's worth saving extra money and buying the colorodos instead.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Solomon and wore it on my first Colorado Elk hunt last year. they did okay on the hunt, but am looking at getting a stiffer and higher boot for this year.

To answer your questions on durability; mine are close to 4 years old and still waterproof enough to cross streams and handle morning dew and light rain. They are starting to wear out, but with proper care and a lot of Nikwax, I think I'll get another year of use out of them. I am not a heavy user, a lot of weekend hikes late Spring through early fall, and one or two trips out west each year.

Pros:

Super comfortable when on a trails and in mild terrain ( for me). The weather ranged from the 40s in the morning to mid-80s on some hot afternoon days. With some full cushion Darn Tough socks, my feet were comfortable.

Almost no break-in period

Cons:

Not stiff enough to side-hill in steep country; at least not for me. My ankles/feet where tired after a few hours in steep terrain. We ended up finding elk in some of the less rough areas last year, but could have been an issue if we had to chase them into rough country. I don't have the best ankles, so someone with no ankle problems may have a different experience.

Underfoot and toe protection is lacking. After about a few hours of hiking I could really feel the rocks under my feet. My toes also were a little bruised up after working through some rocky terrain as well. I never noticed this on hiking trails, but after a few hours of deadfalls and rocks it was noticeable.

Although mine are still waterproof, they are a little short for some of the creek crossing I encountered.

Disclaimer:

I didn't tag an elk, so I cannot say how they did on a pack out.

brsnow

WKR
I have over 7 years of year round mountain use on a pair of Solomon, just had to re-waterproof this year. Best boots I have ever owned.

NEhunter

WKR
No comparing these two boots. The Solomon is a tennis shoe on steroids. The Colorado is a bonafide mountain boot. You want a fairly stiff mountain boot? Go with the Colorado.

I agree, these two really are like comparing apples and oranges. I’d go with the Colorado myself as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
No comparing these two boots. The Solomon is a tennis shoe on steroids. The Colorado is a bonafide mountain boot. You want a fairly stiff mountain boot? Go with the Colorado.
I would have to agree also having the Colorado myself. My X ultras are nice every day shoes, and light hiking. During any decent hiking with elevation change or longer distances, or even with some weight I want my Colorado’s.

I wore out the solomons after one season. They were comfortable, but the waterproofness was poor at best. They were my first "stiff" boot. I wore danners before then. I tried on the Crispi Colorado and Wyoming. I ended up going with the Wyoming's. I used them all last year and was very pleased with them. They will last at least another year for sure.

Wore a pair of Salomons out in one season. Now I put a ton of miles on them and they will still work as a warm weather/hiking boot. The water proofness was good for the 1st part of the season but now the will soak up good if its real wet outside. They were very light and comfortable. I contact Salomon about them wearing out and they replaced them with a new pair. I packed an Elk and 2 deer out in them and they had good support.
I got them to slow the wear on my Meindls which has been a great big game boot but is a little on the heavy side.
If you dont mind spending the money every couple of year and dont do any serious weather hunts I think the would work.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I have had several pairs of Salomon Quest's over the years and they are decent boots. I have a few pairs of boots that I rotate through for work, mainly Salomon and Lowa. I have worn them on some hunts and they did fine. When I am going on a tough hunt, I only wear my Crispi Guide's. They are more comfortable and my feet do not hurt as much. Especially comes into play if you are going to do a long pack out. I have tried the Salomon's on a pack out and I definitely felt the difference the following morning.

prm

WKR
I’ve hunted in both. If you spend more time logging miles the Salomon feels much better. If you spend more time climbing steep terrain, the CO may work better. I used the CO on a solo backcountry elk hunt where I wanted extra support for packing out an elk. They worked just okay. My feet did not feel better. My right CO boot has an odd pressure point just behind my toes. It’s like I have to roll over a small hump in the boot on each step. Doesn’t matter what insole I use. None of my other boots (Crispi Guide, three pairs of Salomon Quest, Salewa Repace, Hanwag Makra Trek) has that so it’s not my foot. Based on results of many hunts I think the Salomon is tough to beat. My feet have never had even the slightest issue when wearing them. They are not a lifetime boot, bit of forced to pick one boot to hunt with they would be it. Just because I like trying new things, and despise the Made in China label on my Salomons, I am currently wearing Hanwag Makra Treks. Very similar to the CO, but they do fit me better, and they roll forward much better than the CO for me. Need more miles to make any real judgement, but so far very satisfied. Of note, I do switch insoles in all my boots. Superfeet Green or Guide.

Nuke Man

WKR
For the price I dont think you can beat the Salomon Quest 4D boots. I wore out a pair after 5 years and just picked up another pair.

wildcat33

WKR
the Scarpa Kailash plus is the same weight as Quest 4Ds and its a much better boot in every aspect.

Lowg08

WKR
My Salomon are 3 years old no leaks no problems. Everyone is correct though. They could be a littler stiffer. I had looked at the crispi and wanted to stay away from Chinese stuff so I wouldn’t discount salewa mtn trainer or La Sportiva txs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 19