Solomon Quest Alternative

So I’ve been wearing Solomons of various models for maybe 12 years. Back when I started buying them they were awesome. Lately, they just don’t hold up I’ve gotten less than 1/2 the life out of my last few pairs as I got out of the first.

I quit wearing quests at work and went to Lowa Zephyrs. They are good for that but not quite as comfortable for hiking. My foot isn’t as locked in in steep terrain.

Things I like about the quests: foot feels locked in, light, stiff enough but still feeling agile, no break in.

What alternatives are out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered a pair of Crispi Thor II boots. No experience yet - but I am hoping for a stiffer and more durable Solamon type feel.

Stumpy208

FNG
I had the same experience with my Salomons on my most recent pair. I bought a pair of the USA made (assembled with global components) KEEN's Durand II and they did pretty good for me this season but I don't have more than that in them yet.

Hopefully someone has found one but I don’t believe there is a match. Sure is not ANY Crispi I’ve put on period.
Maybe Lathrop’s lighter weight boot but James said it wouldn’t fit my foot that well so I didn’t try them.
Schnees feel pretty good but the Timberline has a tone of volume in the toe box.

Sled

WKR
I went from the Salomon to crispi briksdal. Stiffer boot with a good heel pocket and wide enough forefoot. Narrower than the Nevada and Colorado.

sargent

WKR
Crispi Lapponias are pretty rugged (all leather construction), light (~1# per boot), and comfy (trail runner style soles). They might fit the bill for you.

grfox92

WKR
The boot you are asking for does not exist unfortunately.

No-one makes a boot as comfortable and stable in the mountains as the Quest 4d. If you want to known how I know..... I could dig up thousands of dollars in receipts from an over 4 year "Quest" to find this boot (see what I did there?).

To name a few, Crispi Thor, Lapponia, Wyoming, Nevada, Vasque Breeze, Oboz Bridger, Zamberlan Civetta, Keen Targhee, Roclite, Solomon CrossTrek, Several Salewas ect. ect.

Some of these boots might work for you. I was looking for something that blew me away when you slipped it on your foot like
the Quest does. 3 boots did impress me with my initial reaction. Crispi Thor and Wyoming. Unfortunately Crispis bend on top when you walk in them and the eyelet for the laces dug into the top of my foot with every step.

The third boot that I did like but didn't go with was the Kenetrek Corrie. It has the well structured foot bed as the stiffer Kennetrek boots but is way more flexible.

If there is a boot close to filling the niche of the Salomon that is flexible and stable AND is going to stay waterproof the Corrie is the boot from what I've tried.

The reason I didn't go with them is because I had the money for Mountain Extremes and they can last you up to 10 years, can be rebuilt, stay waterproof and feel amazing in my feet ect. I have zero regrets going with the much stiffer MEs.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
ElDudarino

No-one makes a boot as comfortable and stable in the mountains as the Quest 4d. If you want to known how I know..... I could dig up thousands of dollars in receipts from an over 4 year "Quest" to find this boot (see what I did there?).

To name a few, Crispi Thor, Lapponia, Wyoming, Nevada, Vasque Breeze, Oboz Bridger, Zamberlan Civetta, Keen Targhee, Roclite, Solomon CrossTrek, Several Salewas ect. ect.

Some of these boots might work for you. I was looking for something that blew me away when you slipped it on your foot like
the Quest does. 3 boots did impress me with my initial reaction. Crispi Thor and Wyoming. Unfortunately Crispis bend on top when you walk in them and the eyelet for the laces dug into the top of my foot with every step.

The third boot that I did like but didn't go with was the Kenetrek Corrie. It has the well structured foot bed as the stiffer Kennetrek boots but is way more flexible.

If there is a boot close to filling the niche of the Salomon that is flexible and stable AND is going to stay waterproof the Corrie is the boot from what I've tried.

The reason I didn't go with them is because I had the money for Mountain Extremes and they can last you up to 10 years, can be rebuilt, stay waterproof and feel amazing in my feet ect. I have zero regrets going with the much stiffer MEs.

Sigh, that’s what I’m worried about. I guess I will keep buying a new pair of quests every year. They hunt for the first year, get daily wear in year 2 and spend year 3 doing yard work. Then they are pretty much done and go in the garbage

grfox92

WKR
Sigh, that’s what I’m worried about. I guess I will keep buying a new pair of quests every year. They hunt for the first year, get daily wear in year 2 and spend year 3 doing yard work. Then they are pretty much done and go in the garbage

I would recommend trying the Kenetrek Corrie. Keep in mind they will break in and soften up.

Afhunter1

WKR
I would recommend trying the Kenetrek Corrie. Keep in mind they will break in and soften up.

I’ve used Solomon’s for years to and I just bought these boots as a replacement. Midway had them on sale last week from $300 to $144 and free gaiters. I got them Friday and I think they will be great once broke in.

grfox92

WKR
I’ve used Solomon’s for years to and I just bought these boots as a replacement. Midway had them on sale last week from $300 to $144 and free gaiters. I got them Friday and I think they will be great once broke in.
My hunting partner put over 150 miles on a pair this season. Broke them in archery elk hunting. Never even a blister.

grfox92

WKR
That’s good to hear because they are gonna be my elk boot and I have blister issues.
Yea literally brought them in the box and slipped them on in the dark the first morning of our hunt. He hunted the previous week in Hoka Running shoes so I think he was willing to risk the blisters. Turned out fine.

He said every day he wore them they got more and more comfortable.

Brendan

WKR
I like the Crispi Thor II. Better than the original Thor which was too soft IMO, and the early ones didn't have the same lacing pattern to lock in the ankle well. Mine were new in 2021, saw a bunch of use last year, bit didn't see a ton of use this year so can't really tell you about longevity yet.

Different boot and use entirely from what you're looking for, but the Crispi Wild Rock Plus might be the best boot I've owned. Haven't used any other Crispi boot, but those two I love.

kpk

WKR

This has been my experience also. I haven't tried quite this many, but pretty close. I settled on the Asolo Greenwoods, but they are certainly more flexible in the upper. They're also a bit narrower in the toebox which may or may not work for you.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve been wearing Solomons of various models for maybe 12 years. Back when I started buying them they were awesome. Lately, they just don’t hold up I’ve gotten less than 1/2 the life out of my last few pairs as I got out of the first.

I quit wearing quests at work and went to Lowa Zephyrs. They are good for that but not quite as comfortable for hiking. My foot isn’t as locked in in steep terrain.

Things I like about the quests: foot feels locked in, light, stiff enough but still feeling agile, no break in.

What alternatives are out there?

Are you looking for a boot alternative with the same general weight and stiffness and fit as the Quest, but more durable? Or are you open to a stiffer and heavier boot?

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

OP
ElDudarino
Are you looking for a boot alternative with the same general weight and stiffness and fit as the Quest, but more durable? Or are you open to a stiffer and heavier boot?

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

Basically something in its class but more durable

TheGDog

WKR
I was very upset with my last pair of Quest 4 GTX's. The damn sole tore WAY to soon. But it's not like I have a buncha stores around I can goto for hunting/hiking type boots, and my lowa zephyrs I tried after that, pretty kinda OK, but then not as good ankle support and footbed sacked out sooner than it should have and so a minor gap occurs at footbed/heel-cup junction, and that lil line around exacerbates me getting cracked heel with deep fissure cracks (a hereditary thing). And with this hunting season coming upon me too soon to have time to try ordering things online and having enough time to potentially send back and get adjusted size, I just opted to eat buying another pair for this season since REI sells em and they have one nearby.

So far so good on these new pair, but I won't be surprised if they fail early as this season I abused the snot out of them climbing up alpine terrain of endless buckthorn and rocks and blowdown prior burnt trees.

Their weak point in the sole seems to be the outer edge where the back of the ball of the foot starts to curve back in towards arch. That spot right there is susceptible to tears if you put a lotta step thru heinous rocky terrain.

I have a voucher for a pair of Quest direct from Salomon, Ill beat whatever price you find them for in stock if anyone wants a pair

Scarpa Zodiac Plus - I use those where I used to use Quest 4D's years back.
I'll try out the new Lapponias when I get them (just ordered). Scarpa makes great boots but their sole is noisier than Crispi. Zamberlan and Crispi have pretty quiet sole material in general. My Meindl's are quiet too but they are crampon compatible so not same category as the 4D's. But I can still sneak around in them to a point even though they are super stiff just becuase of the sole material. The Zodiacs (not the plus version) have a softer grippier sole than the plus version so they can be good for steep and stalking but not for general hiking around unless you are really used to mountain boots.

Anyway the Zodiac Plus is a tough boot that works well in steep country if anyone else is looking for that. Plus, I live in the mountains near gnarly terrain so I veer in the mountain boot direction so take all the above with that grain o salt.