Solutions for a hot sleeper?

ejs21

FNG
Looking for some advice for a new sleep system. I spent a week in the Canadian Rockies at the end of October, with nightly temps well below freezing. I have a Klymit -7C bag (15 degrees) and i woke up multiple times a night in a sweat. Even with the zipper wide open, I was simply too hot to be comfortable. The bag was at its temp limit rating and I was getting cooked out.

I guess I am a hot sleeper. Im leaning towards going with a lighter rated bag or possibly a quilt to avoid this problem again.
Is there anyone else who has had a similar experience?

Was it actually sweat from being too hot or natural perspiration that your bag will not wick away? I ask since I had a POS Slumberjack down bag. No matter the outside temperature that bag and I were always soaked.

Changed to WM bags and not looked back.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m a warm sleeper, but the BA system with pad sleeve(no sleeping bag insulation on bottom), coupled with a insulated pad, seems to really fit the ticket. Slept the best I ever have in the elk woods last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolf13

FNG
I went with a quilt as I find them more comfortable and easier to regulate temperature on. @*zap* has the idea right idea if you don't want a new bag. Do you also have a foot zipper?

NoWiser

WKR
I struggle with this as well. I feel like my face in the cold air kicks my body’s furnace in overdrive. I wake up absolutely drenched in sweat to the point I’ve had to towel off. This is with my Marmot Helium when temps are in the teens and 20’s. Zipping it down and using as a quilt does help, but it’s not perfect. If anyone has other ideas, I’m all ears.

mlgc20

WKR
As a fellow hot sleeper, I find a quilt is significantly easier to temp regulate. And while it may sound counterintuitive, I like to sleep with a light long sleeve garment, like the Sitka Core Lightweight 1/4 zip. Having my arms covered allows me to keep my arms outside my quilt until it gets really cold. And it just feel better against your skin than the ultralight nylon of your typical sleeping bag/quilt. And can wick away a bit of moisture.

OP
ejs21

ejs21

FNG
Was it actually sweat from being too hot or natural perspiration that your bag will not wick away? I ask since I had a POS Slumberjack down bag. No matter the outside temperature that bag and I were always soaked.

Changed to WM bags and not looked back.
That is a great question. First night I slept in my clothes as I always do, and I thought this may be the issue. The next few nights I stripped right down to underwear and a t-shirt and the problem remained. I was so clammy and hot that I hardly slept. I just assumed it was from the bag being too warm and not from it not wicking the perspiration away.

OP
ejs21

ejs21

FNG
As a fellow hot sleeper, I find a quilt is significantly easier to temp regulate. And while it may sound counterintuitive, I like to sleep with a light long sleeve garment, like the Sitka Core Lightweight 1/4 zip. Having my arms covered allows me to keep my arms outside my quilt until it gets really cold. And it just feel better against your skin than the ultralight nylon of your typical sleeping bag/quilt. And can wick away a bit of moisture.
I usually sleep clothed and have been very comfortable, but this was the first time using the down bag. I figured it would perform way better than my heavy, standard synthetic bag that I take on horseback trips. I think I'm leaning towards a lighter quilt especially if ill be using it in warmer temps at the end of August.

AdamLewis

FNG
I sleep quite hot and will second the quilt recommendation. Easy to kick it open, or half off, etc during the night to temp regulate.

Wrench

WKR
I'm so jealous of you who can sleep hot and stay warm easy. If I knew how to join your club I'd do it.

rayporter

WKR
jealous me.
my old pard could lay down when it was freezing and pull a corner of his bag over his chest and be out in less than a minute and not cover up all night.

BrianN

FNG
Quilts are a great solution for hot sweaty sleeping, venting easily is very important. Keeping a thin, clean, dry moisture wicking base layer with your quilt to change into will help and helps to keep quilt shell fabrics clean as well

OP
ejs21

ejs21

FNG
Thanks for the input guys. After a little research I think I will be buying a Katabatic Flex 30 degree. I can always layer up if I get cold