Solvents for Carbon Arrow cleaning

PhatSki

WKR
What solvent do you all use to clean your carbon arrows for fletching and gluing inserts? Ive had folks say acetone is best and others say only use denatured alcohol, and still others use Dawn dish soap and rinse well with warm water.

MattB

WKR
They all work, I use 90+% IPA. Just wouldn’t soak in acetone. You also want to scrub the inside of the shaft to get rid of dust, I use q-tips.

I use acetone on q-tips to clean the insert area. Acetone on a paper towel to clean the shaft for vanes.

I can't remember, but I think some of the alcohols can leave residue behind, might be why Matt uses the 90%.

I just have acetone around and it works well, I frequently remove labels off my shafts too and it will do that pretty easily.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
Acetone.

i use a q-tip dipped in acetone to clean the inside of the shaft, and a paper towel dipped to clean the outside.

To get the vanes and glue off, I pull the nock and soak the end in a mason jar of acetone for 5 mins and then start working the vanes off with a dull-ish knife.

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
For cleaning the inside I use denatured alcohol on a q tip. When I'm removing fletchings and glue (I use loctite ultra control gel) I start removing the fletching with the sharp edge of one of those break off slider utility knives, being careful not to nick the carbon, rip off the fletching, and flip the knife around and use the back side to scrape off the glue. After I've got the majority of it off I use a scotch brite pad to get the rest off. Use a rag wetted with denatured alcohol to clean the outside.
I dont know how true it is, and I had done it previously, but I've read that acetone can break down the glues in the carbon. Full disclosure I havent seen or read about any issues with it, but I've seen the accidents with carbon arrows and I dont want nothin to do with that. Healthcare is expensive.

BBob

WKR
For cleaning and scuffing carbon shafts for fletching I use Dawn, Comet cleanser and a little water on a folded up paper towel. Scrub, rinse well with hot water and let dry. For inside, Q-tip and Acetone or MEK for a quick wipe. Did the same with Alu shafts prior to carbons.

I prefer acetone over alcohol because in addition to surface prep on a new shaft, I can also use the acetone to soften cyanoacrylate (super glue) residue when stripping off old fletching. As long as you're not immersing the shaft in acetone for a long period of time, I think there's no real risk of damaging the carbon.

I use acetone. I have soaked shafts for longer than I would like, about three hours (forgot them) and had no degradation on the shafts. Still shooting those shafts actually.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I talked to the Easton engineers about this years ago:
“90% alcohol only”

“Acetone and Mec can weaken the adhesives used in making the shaft itself”

Tilzbow

WKR
Same as above but one additional thing I do with new shafts, after I’ve cut to length, is to blow out the inside of the shaft with compressed air. Do this outside because a lot of carbon dust will come out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't use anything but a clean cloth to wipe the outside of the arrows before fletching. And before putting inserts in, I use 90% alcohol on q-tips to get rid of the dust from cutting them.

Clean, degreased brass rifle bore brush that fits the shaft ID, dipped in alcohol. A couple of passes inside. Comet cleanser on a clean wet paper towel for the exterior of the shaft where an outsert will be installed, where vanes or wraps are applied. Wash off Comet residue under hot running water, shake, and let air dry prior to applying vanes or outserts. Good luck!!

Rob5589

WKR
I talked to the Easton engineers about this years ago:
“90% alcohol only”

“Acetone and Mec can weaken the adhesives used in making the shaft itself”

Gold Tip has a video with Gillingham and he uses acetone. Different company, different rec I guess.