Some Experiences with Sleep Systems...

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just thought I would share some of my experiences with a variety of sleep systems I have been using for the last few years. Please note I sleep cold, and the majority of my trips are in the 20-50 degree range, I'm also 5'11" so all bags are size R other than the quilt (bought it long per their suggestion).

1) Marmot Plasma 0 - This is a treated down bag that the internet claimed was the inspiration for the KUIU sleeping bags.
Mine is in size R, it weighs 2lbs 10ozs (one ounce over stated weight, but could be my scale).
I have used it on several trips. Its warm, and the outer shell does a decent job of keeping the inner dry. Two of the trips I used it on temps were well below freezing, and I stayed decently warm. I do wish the footbox was warmer.
Every morning I would wake up with the outer shell of the bag quite damp. Felt dry inside, but definitely wet on the outer shell. Being a down bag, this caused some mental gymnastics, but the interior did stay dry.
My experience says the 0 degree rating is a bit optimistic. Maybe more like 15 or 20.

2) Mt Hardware Ultralamina 15 - This is a great bag, no longer made. It weighs right as advertised at 2lbs 14oz. I used this for 3 seasons of sheep hunting here in Alaska (all August hunts). I think the temp rating is pretty darn close and I never worried about it getting wet. All in all a great bag.

3) Hammock Gear Burrow 20 Quilt (Long with a few ounces of overfill). It weighs 1lb 6ozs. With a good pad this is a weight saving dream come true, but its a comprise of sorts. I used this for 2 seasons of Aug sheep hunting and feel that even with the overfill its more like a 30 degree rating. I usually wear more clothing when sleeping in the quilt and its a bag I love because it is light, but does require I sleep in more clothes on cold nights. It works because I make it work, and I make it work because its light.

4) Wiggys Hunter Super Light in 0. I got the non mummy bag style for wife for car camping and I used it a few times as well. Its big, bulky, and heavy at 6.3lbs. I prefer mummy bags because you can close them around you to sleep warmer. Its a decent base camp bag, but I prefer the Cinder (No. 5) over it.

5) Badlands Cinder -10 - This is actually my preferred base camp / car camping bag. You can get it cheap, it's warm, but probably not a true -10. The logos have all but worn away, but other than that its a cheap, heavy, base camp bag that works. I think it is in the 5lbs range, but I have never weighed it.

6) My newest pick up is the Mt Hardwear Hyperlamina Torch 3. Its a bit on the heavier side at 3lbs 8ozs. However for late season hunts where I want that extra warmth I think it will be worth the weight. Its an interesting design, with an unique collar system and that really locks in body temps. I don't have enough time to says it all that yet, but initial thoughts are very positive. It certainly seems well designed.

I probably have a few to many sleeping bags, but as a family of 5 I think we will use them all and its nice to have an extra if a buddy comes to AK.

While not an in depth review, I just wanted to share my experience with these bags. Hope it helps someone! Sleeping bags are the hardest thing to get right for me! I want a 2lb bag I can sleep in comfortably from 15-50 degrees and will keep me warm when totally wet. Since that is not possible, its all a game of compromise where you tailor the bag to the adventure, bring along a good puff jacket, and hope for the best. :)

For pads I use these 3:
Therm A Rest Neo Air X Therm (for use with a mummy bag)
Therm A Rest Neo Air X Therm Max (for use with the quilt)
Therm A Rest Ridge Rest Size R for ultra light use. Sometimes I haul this along in addition to the Neo and use it as a glassing pad. Its also great for the kids to use.

texag10

WKR
I've got an older plasma 30* with non treated down. I've been using a tarptent contrail (small single wall shelter) and it can get condensation very easily. Even when my bag is covered in moisture the down has stayed dry. Haven't had it down to 30 with a good pad, but survived a 15-20* night with an uninsulated pad in it. It roasted me on my last trip with a klymit insulated static v lite (claimed 4.4 r value) in 50-high 40 temps at night. Definitely a tight mummy cut, I'm thin and was getting swampy cause it forced me to sleep with my thighs touching.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got an older plasma 30* with non treated down. I've been using a tarptent contrail (small single wall shelter) and it can get condensation very easily. Even when my bag is covered in moisture the down has stayed dry. Haven't had it down to 30 with a good pad, but survived a 15-20* night with an uninsulated pad in it. It roasted me on my last trip with a klymit insulated static v lite (claimed 4.4 r value) in 50-high 40 temps at night. Definitely a tight mummy cut, I'm thin and was getting swampy cause it forced me to sleep with my thighs touching.
That's a good point, the Marmot, Badlands, and Mt Hardwear bags are all pretty slim fitting. I don't move around to much when I sleep, so its not an issue for me. I have found that when I am backpack hunting, and going without a shower for a few days, that I prefer to wear a light weight base layer pant to bed to help solve the sticky thigh issue. But, Alaska hunts are typically cool enough for me to get away with that.

Last edited:

texag10

WKR
That is exactly what I ended up doing. I wore my pants to sleep and was still hot, but not swampy.

Josey D

FNG
H.C.
Have you ever tried a Kifaru Slick? I am looking for a couple new bags for next season & trying to figure out how the Hyperlamina Torch 0 compares to the slick in actual warmth over a week long plus hunts.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
;
H.C.
Have you ever tried a Kifaru Slick? I am looking for a couple new bags for next season & trying to figure out how the Hyperlamina Torch 0 compares to the slick in actual warmth over a week long plus hunts.
No, I do not have any experiences with the Slick bags. I can usually find a sale on products like the Mt Hardware bag so that swayed me toward the Hyperlamina Torch. ;)

Beendare

WKR
OP,
I think you nailed it with your comment, "A sleeping bag is hard to get right". I don't know anyone that bought one bag....and was happy forever. It seems like its a bit of trial and error for most everyone I know.

There are so many individual variables...the most important being whether you are a warm or cold sleeper. I happen to be a warm sleeper....and if I get too hot put off a lot of moisture when I sleep which causes problems with the wrong bag [ie like a gore tex cover or bivy]

I won't go through my trial and errors...but through my trials, I realized that bag ratings were all over the map. My cheap Kelty 20 deg down bag was maybe good to 45 deg...even for me! The cheap Syn bags are warmer than the cheap down bags.. cheap down bags are a bad investment. The Syn bags don't compress under you as much as down....with down you really need a pad with good R value.

As I got older I could no longer sleep in the slim mummy bags- too constricting.

And I stopped using weight as my criteria...sure its a factor but not the most important. A bag is a bit like optics, spend more to get better quality and you won't regret it.

dog812

WKR
I have been really lucky. I got a amazing deal on A marmot trestles 15. Like $80 cdn.
I have used it in all my hunts for 5 years. I typically spend 40 nights a season hunting. From early season , to mid December final hunt sleeping in the snow. To fly in sheep hunt for 12 days.
It has always worked and more often then not is way to hot so I have it wide open like a quilt.
But it is heavy , between 3 and 4# ish.
Don't know if that helps anyone. But you don't need to spend a bunch of money to get gear that works.

P.s. It looks like it's on sale again for that price.
Marmot Trestles 15degF/-9degC Regular Sleeping Bag | Atmosphere.ca