Some highlights from 2 weeks fishing/hunting in Auz

I recently spent a few weeks in the outdoors. It still didn't feel as though it was long enough, but I'll get back out there again shortly I hope. I decided to make a thread with some of the highlights.

Things have started to cool down here at the moment, which is obviously much better for hunting. The fishing can still be really good but it slows down a little. I fished this spot here quite a lot. It's very easy for people with boats to access it, so it gets hammered.

I walked in because I have access to the property on either side of it. Despite getting hit a few times over 2 mornings and evenings, I only managed this little cod. Still a beautiful fish.

OP
W
The fallow deer were rutting here at the time. I watched plenty and took lots of photos and video, but never bothered to shoot one. It either wasn't the right time, or the sort of one I was after never presented a shot.

This buck was fairly young, and wonky. I probably should have shot him because his antlers don't show good signs, but I was still happy to watch him. I saw him chase a spiker off in some of the really long grass and he popped up just in front of me.

A quick look back after he spooked.

This fella was croaking hard and protecting some does that were bedded behind him. A nice animal.

I watched this young fella try to protect some does, but he got run off by a bigger one.

OP
W
I kept bumping into groups like this when I was trying to stalk in on the bucks while they were croaking.

I sat under a tree for about an hour and had a break. When I stood up, these 3 had fed to within about 10m of me.

This is the biggest one I saw, that ran off the younger buck above. He was a fine animal.

Giving a few more croaks to make sure the other bloke took off.

OP
W
I shot this spiker for a feed in the last couple of minutes of light one afternoon.

Taking the skin off a small doe that I shot.

Nice meat on her for sure.

Heart and liver over the fire. I still can't warm to liver, but heart is delicious.

OP
W
Plenty of sign about the place.

I shot a few foxes for the property owner. The grass is so long at the moment, it's hard to get onto them properly.

The skin from the deer I posted previously.

Feeling pretty happy with myself.

Thanks for looking, everyone.

well bloody done mate,some great pics and thanks for sharing !! this was my buck for the 2017 rut mate.

Attachments

• IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
OP
W
Thanks for looking, everyone. It was a lot of fun.

I'll try and contribute more in this style in the future.

Incidentally; is there a more appropriate spot to post stories on the forum, that aren't a 'live' hunt as such?