Some numbers on Corona Virus

Diesel

WKR
Bored so looked up some numbers via google.

Numbers are rounded off.

Roughly 7500 people die every DAY in the U.S.
Roughly 65000 people died of influenza last flu season or 178 people a day over a whole year.
38000 died in car accidents in 2019 or 104 per day.
Roughly 13000 people are reported victims of corona virus this year as of 4/8/20. or 130 per day.

Comparing Influenza to Corona where there is a vaccine for Influenza and none so far for Corona there is still more deaths from Influenza even though many have been for vaccinated against Influenza.

It was reported today that anyone dying that has the Corona virus in their system is registered as a Corona death even though they may have had severe health issues before contracting the virus. I do NOT know if Influenza deaths use the same criteria.

Looking at the data gives a sense of how we view this new virus compared to other risks.

What would be very difficult to quantify is the damage done by the economic hardship of the shutdown and the deaths resulting as a byproduct.

Mass testing will probably be the deciding factor in accessing risk to reopening the economy. I hope that is their highest priority.

*zap*

WKR
I think that without a vaccine there will be those who will want to have 'preventive measures' stay in place....Fauci has already mentioned that....

Consider this, when is the last time you heard of, or seen, an entire hospital inundated and brought to its knees because of the flu? Where entire units, and in some cases entire hospitals are strictly designated to the care of flu victims that require ventilatory support? This is happening in several densely populated parts of our nation, and this is occurring even with self isolation in place. The whole purpose of self isolation is obviously to reduce the spread of C19, and for all intensive purposes, it will accomplish that, to what extent, we will never know. If we as a nation did absolutely nothing at all to circumvent the spread of this disease, and by the time it was all over with, hundreds of thousands of Americans perished because of that, you’d probably be hard-pressed to find anybody that wouldn’t agree that we should have done more. If on the other hand, we did absolutely everything in our power to stop the spread, and in the end there were only a few tens of thousands of Americans that died from it, there would most definitely be many people that would claim that, it wasn’t all that bad after all, and we overreacted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
SARS is not the flu. This is WAY more transmissible and younger people are getting extremely ill from this. The odd thing is that symptomology varies wildly from patient to patient.

The flu doesn't break a country's economy like this SARS does and for good reason. It's not that serious until it hits home, then people realize it's kind of a big deal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've read that most flu deaths occur from ppl that aren't vaccinated and even if the vaccine isn't an exact match it still ups your chances of survival considerably.. imagine if there were no vaccine for flu ☠️

Okhotnik

WKR
This!!!!! I knew that our death toll would be significantly higher than anywhere else in the world due to our overall health status compared to other countries.

Ive worked in China and almost every male smokes there. You'd think their reported death toll would be higher than reported lol

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
There are people managing this that have spent their whole professional lives waiting for a pandemic. Rightly or wrongly, they are very invested in justification of spending 40 years preparing for this very moment.
The problem for the rest of us is that we cannot argue against those people.

Taking China at their word is insane. The best way to keep cases down is to stop reporting them. China has lied about everything from the beginning. They lie every time they murder thousands of their citizens. They lie when tens of millions of their citizens die of famine. Why does anyone believe the communist govt of China?

Opinion - Comparing total death count as done in the OP is either an effort to paint a picture to justify an opinion or just a piss poor way to evaluate differences. Especially given that a month ago today there were 22 COVID-19 deaths ever.

How about comparing yesterday to the daily average:
-Covid - 1940 deaths
-Influenza - 178 avg
-Auto - 102

Don't take this post as me saying all of the actions taken that have shut down our economy are justified, i just find the initial # comparison to be ridiculous.

rob86jeep

WKR
When all this is finally over, there will be a lot of people that say it was all media/gov hype and it wasn't nearly as bad as what they said it could be. The problem is they are introducing drastic measure to try and keep the problem low. So, you might say they overreacted, but you won't know if that's true or the actions of the gov/people kept this from being a thousand times worse.

Nobody believes anything that doesn't fit their agenda anymore. If they want to be panicked, they won't listen to a single thing that tells them they're crazy. If they don't think it's a big deal, they won't listen to anybody (including scientists) that are saying we should be seriously worried about this.

When all this is finally over, there will be a lot of people that say it was all media/gov hype and it wasn't nearly as bad as what they said it could be. The problem is they are introducing drastic measure to try and keep the problem low. So, you might say they overreacted, but you won't know if that's true or the actions of the gov/people kept this from being a thousand times worse.

Yup totally agree. That was one of my points in post #8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk