Some squirrel recipes that aren't fried.

Not as impressive as big game but I've been experimenting with different squirrel recipes, here are some recent ones:
Thai Chili Squirrel (recipe at the bottom of this post):

ISOrhzf.jpg

Two types of roasted squirrel:

9az6ptj.jpg

5F27x5e.jpg

Squirrel and onions with cheddar, garlic bread, and roasted jalepenos:

L8FiMQz.jpg

Thai Chili Squirrel recipe:

Ingredients:
One squirrel, separated into five parts (I brine mine in just water and salt for at least a day; I don't have an exact ratio I just pour a bunch of salt over what I hunted that day and then fill the bag or bowl with water until the meat is fully submerged)
East-Asian style medium grained/small grained rice (What I used: Nishiki)
One yellow onion Two scallions Olive oil Salt and Pepper Thai chili sauce (What I used: Mae Ploy)
Chinese style hot oil (What I used: Hokan Chili Oil)

Recipe:
Start cooking however much rice you want (about a half cup or a cup, I don't use a measuring cup but I use the same cup each time, so not exactly sure how much it is plus I vary the amount depending)
Chunk the yellow onion into medium to large pieces Spread onion chunks on bottom of a small roasting pan
Coat squirrel pieces in olive oil (I use a brush)
Season with salt and pepper
Place pieces on top of onions in pan Place onion pan in low/medium-heat, closed grill (I like too cook outside, probably even better to just use your oven at about 350 degrees) and cook for 25 minutes, flip pieces and cook for 25 more minutes or until you think it's done to your liking.
Put pieces of squirrel into a small mixing bowl and cover each piece with Thai chili sauce so that some spills over into the bottom of the mixing bowl
Fill serving-bowl with as much rice as you want
Fold onions into bowled rice
Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of chili oil over the top of rice, mix it in a little if you want or leave it be; I do it both ways depending on what I feel like
Chop up the two scallions as thin as you can
Mix the squirrel pieces so they are as coated as you can get them in Thai chili sauce
Place the squirrel pieces on top of rice bowl
Sprinkle scallions on top of squirrel pieces
Eat

Last edited:
OP
W
Keep it coming! Too bad season is over for us.

One more weekend here!

Looks awesome. Could you post the recipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'm at work right now so can only periodically procrastinate and post, haha. I'll edit the original post with one recipe right now though and add the others later one.

Last edited:

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Eaten plenty squirrel but never fried. Louisiana method is in a gravy or gumbo. Standard brown the meat. Yellow and green onions for gravy. Add a roux for gumbo and smoked sausage. Good eats.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Bet recipes are regional. Answer to everything is Louisiana is fried or gravy but squirrel was always gravy.

Venison backstraps sure to make good chicken fried steak though.

Ddog

WKR
If I would've seen that Thai recipe before our season closed I could've attempted to murder a few with my longbow. Looks great, thanks for sharing.

pirogue

WKR
My go to squirrel dish the last few years has been squirrel pot pie.

sram9102

WKR
Browned in a skillet throw it in a crockpot on low until its falling off the bone. Toss it in the sauce of your choice. My 16 month old would kill for it.

rayporter

WKR
a sprinkle of cavendars and a few slices of bacon -add some grease out of a spam slice or Vienna sausages and double wrap in aluminum foil.

put in fire and eat for breakfast.

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
Page 113 of the LL Bean game and fish cookbook has a squirrel cobbler recipe that's very good.