Some things I learned on my first moose hunting trip:

Hessticles

Lil-Rokslider
We both had synthetic sleeping bags and dried stuff in the foot box or by wearing it if we got damp. My Kifaru Slickbag 20 degree bag is good at this,I haven't tried other bags. Our waders and rain jackets we turned inside out inside the tipi if it was wet, hung outside if it was dry as soon as we could once at camp. I took my Sitka Cloudburst and FL SEAK rain jackets and used the Sitka around camp some. The SEAK never wetted out or leaked, but hiking in rain gear means perspiration for me. I sweated it up some inside and let it dry every chance I got. All my gear worked well and I was probably being to careful, but I tried to give my stuff every chance I could to get dry during the constant rain.

For camp shoes we had the Tingley rubber boots so we could get our waders off when we got back. I got mine a size big to be easy to slip on and off. They worked great and let the waders have more time inside out to dry the sweat from my feet. No less waterproof camp shoes would have seen any use in our spot, it was just to swampy for crocs or anything similar.
Any way I can get ahold of ya to chit chat? I cant pm yet I guess, I'm a newbie

Ears

FNG
I've been setting up/taking down my SO 6-man in my yard. Spent a couple of nights in it with high 30/low 40 temps and rain. I've figured a few things out already just by messing around in the yard. Running a Therm a Rest ultralight cot and Vaude Norssken pad, Peregrine Altai 0 degree bag. Looking forward to putting it to the test.

Not sure we'll have a lot of wood where we're being dropped, so good advice on packing wood back to camp. I can about guarantee I'll have to be doing that if I want to use the SXL stove.

Not sure we'll have a lot of wood where we're being dropped, so good advice on packing wood back to camp. I can about guarantee I'll have to be doing that if I want to use the SXL stove.

Hopefully you won't really need much or any wood. If it's scarce or far to collect, you'll likely be burning that stove rather frugally...not just for comfort.

If you need to pack wood, I might suggest you carry a couple lengths of cordage with you. Use it to tie up a bundle of wood for packing. You can do this anytime during the day. You can leave the bundle (if hunting) and come back later to pick it up.

Ears

FNG
Absolutely. I don't plan on using it unless we need it to dry out. We'll see what happens once it gets closer and we start narrowing down our first choice for camp. :)

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Just seam sealed my 8man today. Gonna set up the stove for burn in tomorrow. Thank you for the wood gathering tips. Grew up on the wet northwest so I know how to find dry wood when it is wet but it is a bit different outside bethel where there are not a lot of trees to start with.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Heck yeah, since I can't go this year the next best thing is hearing stories and seeing pics of those who did.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Will do guys, counting the days.
I grew up commercial fishing in PWS. While the weather this year has been very dry I would expect to get hit with the trademark PWS non stop drizzle for days/weeks. I know you’ve probably heard it everytime you get clothes for hunting but especially for PWS you want stuff that stays warm when wet and cuts the wind. There’s a high likelyhood you won’t be able to find a way to dry your stuff out with using wood so another fuel/heat source is recommended. Good luck with the hunt!

Yea, Sam has informed us of the likely weather and the guys at Barneys outfitted us for the trip. I am expecting exactly what you stated.... non stop rain. Hoping we at least get some sun an hour or two each day but unlikely. We will see.

We burned mostly thumb diameter sticks. Just gathered them when it was convenient like mentioned above. I set a tin cup of water on the top of the stove in the morning when we lit it up to take the chill off. By the time I was ready for it, I had hot water for a cup of instant coffee.

We split a Dura Flame log into a bunch of hockey puck sized pieces. That log started fires at least daily in 2 stoves over a 9 day trip. One puck was about good enough to heat the tent with no wood at all.

Ears

FNG
I'm planning on doing the same with Dura-Flame. We have a third load for gear coming in now, so I don't really need to worry much about weight. Will be nice if it's rainy and can't find any dry wood!