Some things I learned on my first moose hunting trip:

mcseal2 and others, Did you take lighters or regular matches(limited to 1 pack) with you(has to be on person not in carry on bag)? Looks like there is a hardware store in Bethel to possibly purchase strike anywhere matches.

1580818775876.png
1580819090454.png
1580819123715.png

Last edited:
OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I had a lighter and fire-steel in my stainless water bottle in my checked baggage. I had a 6 pack of Lithium batteries in there too. Sounds like that was probably against the rules.

In my pockets I had a small Bic lighter and in my personal bag, a small laptop bag that I didn't put in the overhead compartment, I had my battery packs to re-charge my headlamp, phone, and Steripen. The AAA batteries I had fit my headlamp if the re-chargeable battery in it failed for any reason.

I had a lot of tinder so the firesteel could be used without much hassle. I had the Wetfire cubes and a Mentos bottle full of Vaseline coated cotton balls. Where we were a fire could have been made but it would have been tough. The only somewhat dry wood was standing dead brush that was mostly rotten. It would have needed to be split and the dryer center used. A lot of it was pretty rotten and not large diameter, so it acted like a sponge and even the center was pretty damp. I would sure plan my clothing and sleeping bag around not having a fire to be safe.

I had a lighter and fire-steel in my stainless water bottle in my checked baggage. I had a 6 pack of Lithium batteries in there too. Sounds like that was probably against the rules.

In my pockets I had a small Bic lighter and in my personal bag, a small laptop bag that I didn't put in the overhead compartment, I had my battery packs to re-charge my headlamp, phone, and Steripen. The AAA batteries I had fit my headlamp if the re-chargeable battery in it failed for any reason.

I had a lot of tinder so the firesteel could be used without much hassle. I had the Wetfire cubes and a Mentos bottle full of Vaseline coated cotton balls. Where we were a fire could have been made but it would have been tough. The only somewhat dry wood was standing dead brush that was mostly rotten. It would have needed to be split and the dryer center used. A lot of it was pretty rotten and not large diameter, so it acted like a sponge and even the center was pretty damp. I would sure plan my clothing and sleeping bag around not having a fire to be safe.
Thanks for the feedback....

Mcseal2 can you send me your gear list for this hunt (cant send PMs yet). My brother and I are in the beginning stages of planning a hunt and this would be very beneficial. Thank you for the article it is very informative

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Here is the gear list. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'll add to this later but have a few minutes while my wife is getting ready to type a little about what I learned on my first AK moose hunt. We hunted with Papa Bear Adventures and had a good hunt. I took a bull I was very happy with and my buddy shot a smaller one late in the hunt.

We had a lot of rain early. It rained at least 3/4 of every 24hour day for 4 days, and then the sky cleared up and temps warmed up into the upper 60's for highs. We also had a full moon. When the rain quit I shot my bull that evening, before it got warm. We called in another bull the next morning while it was pretty cool and somewhat cloudy. Once the temps warmed up with clear skies and the full moon we never called another bull. I am thinking that the moose did like whitetail would at home and primarily moved and rutted at night, slept or at least were lethargic during the day. With the cooler temps but lots of light that seems logical at least to a rookie moose hunter like me.

This was a drop camp DIY hunt. I would encourage anyone doing it to ask questions before leaving town if you have them about anything. Do a good inspection of the gear the outfitter provides and ask any questions you have before heading into the field. My buddy and I had used gear like what they had and had no issues, but it was something we thought of one evening at camp. How many people today have patched a tire or would know what to do with the tools provided with the raft? How many people have trouble-shot a 2 stroke motor? We grew up as farm kids plus fished a lot with old boats and motors, and my buddy had an inflatable raft for a while. It's stuff we knew but we both know a lot of people with different backgrounds who would not have had that experience. We took our own tent, but if you use an outfitter provided tent make sure you can set it up before you are in the field with a high wind and rain. Self reliance and experience are a big help on a hunt like this and can save frustration and time for hunting.

Take some tarps. We had a 10x10 Seek Outside tarp over our cook/lounge area at camp. We pulled the middle tie out on one side lower than the rest and put my 10L folding bucket under it to catch rain water. It was a lot better tasting than the swamp water we filtered before and after the days of rain, plus saved our water filter some abuse.

Have a good water filter and back-up filter elements. We used a Katadyn Base camp 10L filter. The first new filter element we had (only previous use was flushing it with well water at my house) was very slow from the start. I think the first 10L of swamp water took 12 hours to run through it. We even pre-filtered the water going into the Katadyn bag through a screen I bought off Ebay to help save the filter after having an issue on a Canadian fishing/canoeing trip in 2013. The second filter element we tried was fast, it worked like it should have. If I use that filter again I'll take the filter we used this trip plus a couple spares. I had a Steripen in my pack to treat water as needed if I re-filled my water bottles during the day but never ended up needing it.

Wife is ready, will be continued later....

11/13/19 UPDATE. Heath turned this thread into a complete story-article. Check it out here:

First Alaska Moose Hunt

Great info. I'd love to do a moose hunt one day

AKBorn

WKR
Thanks for the feedback....
If you are flying to Bethel from the lower 48, I am guessing that you are flying through Anchorage or Fairbanks on your way there? Also possible to pick up some matches or cheap lighters in the ANC or FBX gift shop on the way through...

EDITED TO ADD: Never mind - then you have the same issue with the flight to Bethel that you had coming to AK. Sorry for the brain fart lol.

alpinej7

Lil-Rokslider
Just found this TR...thanks for the detailed write up. I have family in AK and a DIY trip is on my bucket list.

cgs1967

FNG
I was hunting Whitetail deer in Canada and had two Moose right under me at 10 yards. I was bow hunting. I could have gotten either one but I didn't have a moose tag.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Good luck on your hunt. I have not made it back moose hunting yet, the cost has really risen since I went. I hunted caribou last year and am planning a Kodiak Island trip for Sitka Blacktail in 2022. Alaska is a special place.