Someone new to hunting - what species do you recommend to them?

+1 for squirrels. Almost year-round season (at least in MO) so weather doesn't need to be an issue, very little gear needed other than a .22, and as another poster said you don't HAVE to be super quiet, you can walk around, and it gets them exposed to skinning/processing on a much smaller scale than starting with big game.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I think squirrels are the best place to start if you want to get into big game hunting. The skills you learn doing that translates to just about every type of big game hunting.

If their goal is to hunt waterfowl, doves may be a better starting point. Cheap, lots of action, great table fare.

Backyard

WKR
Anything that's legal to hunt. It doesn't matter. It sounds as though they have a want to get out and experience hunting. Just do it.
They're gonna have some bad times, and they're gonna have a lot of good times, no matter what the species, and they can learn from both experiences. Just get out there.
I don't mean any ill will from that comment, so don't fire me up for it please. That's the challenge of hunting, that's what makes it fun and interesting.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Squirrels all day long! You can hunt them in the woods with shotguns and rimfires or get them out into some open fields and shoot ground squirrels. It’s excellent marksmanship practice. Lots of targets to shoot for and rewarding seeing something drop through the scope. It teaches you about ballistics, windage, and gets you very comfortable with getting sight pictures and using your peripheral vision to scan for targets.

My love of hunting and marksmanship came from shooting squirrels.

Rs3003

WKR
Squirrels. 22 or a 17hmr. The 17 is more accurate at long rangers. Head shots for the 17 also. They shoot enough and that’ll build confidence for another firearm.

ashanks52

FNG
For a young child, I would say squirrel or rabbits. For some of my adult friends who I have got into hunting, it's always worked out to do turkey and doves. Turkey you can be up and running around calling, trying to sneak in on one, and decoying a bird in. Doves is a lot of fast shooting and low pressure, plus you can talk. I never start people on whitetail hunting, it is too slow and can require a ton of sitting for one glimpse of a deer, IMO.

Rich M

WKR
10-4

I started w rabbits and went to ducks, pheasants, grouse, woodcock to ducks and geese. Deer was mixed in there but boring.

We hunted what's was convenient and easy.

I'd take em shooting, then trap, skeet, sporting clays and then see who was still w me. Then possibly doves but we have a long season. I don't hunt em, too much like pigeons... LOL

Just took a guy and son on their first hunt for deer. Guy got 1, son was too worried about bugs to sit still. We put him in best stand, he saw 0. Sprayed inside of shooting house w bug spray. LOL he was so happy to be there, hard to lecture...

Squirrel would be my first recommendation. Rabbit are fun but much harder to hunt and a lot cuter. Dove are easy to kill and can be hunted without a dog depending on the terrain. Would only recommend game that they would eat.

Had a guy's son sweep my face with a loaded shotgun so many times I finally got pissed and yelled at him cuz his dad wasn't getting through. Never again. I vote for coyote hunting. You can go any time.

sodak

FNG
Just my advise....

Find a group of hunters that fit what you want to be (ethics, morals, life examples). Then hunt what they are hunting.

Don’t join a group bigger than a dozen.

From there, you’ll find your own way.

ODB

WKR
Remi Warrens latest has some decent practical advice for the new hunter.

Sherlock

FNG
Duck hunting early in the season before they are educated. Good old squirels & rabbits.

Out west I started all my kids on jackrabbits. Lots of target, easy walking, usually done after a couple hours. We did everything with a 223 and shooting sticks. I got to control all shooting which was great. My oldest is now 12 and I have basically started to cut him loose as far as where he goes. I just point him in a general direction and go over safety again and off he goes.

The one thing I have stressed more than anything is once you touch the trigger you can never take the shot back. No animal is worth making that mistake. Hopefully they all listen to that.

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Spring turkey is my go to for with a new hunter, especially kiddos. Sitting in a blind would be first choice for me when taking a kid for many reasons but one being that they could get away with moving around and help keep them from potentially getting restless like a lot of new hunters (young or older) seem to do when action is low. Getting a bird to gobble is always exciting and hearing that for the first time is a hook setter in people who have never heard one up close before. The strutting, purs, drumming, clucks, and puts are all new and enticing sounds that are used in abundance during the spring season. Its appealing and fun. The colors, scents, sounds, weather and interaction can all play factors in ones hunt. Even if you cant get one to communicate, let them spend some time playing with the calls and trying their own rhythms and tunes. That brings an interactive aspect to it all that could end up being the difference between disappointment and desire next time hunting is brought up to them.