Someone new to hunting - what species do you recommend to them?

mlebarre

FNG
Small game, squirrels, rabbits, birds. A hunt where you can walk around and expierence nature even if the game isn't cooperating. It gives ample time to teach about aspects of the woods as well as proper ways to handle a weapon.

bdg848

WKR
Turkey because its generally warm weather and interacting with the birds through calling is addicting. Nothing gets my heart beating like a gobble breaking through the morning fog. Next suggestion would be stalking bushytails with a .22 thats a lot of fun and nice weather also

Gumbo

WKR
Squirrels and rabbits, I learned nearly everything I ever needed to know about big game hunting by chasing them...and sparrows, starlings, pigeons, etc.

Mike 338

WKR
Rabbits and dove for birds. There's reasonable amounts of action and likely success without all the suffering. Rabbits most of the year and can be done with anything including a pistol, bow or even slingshot.

LaHunter

WKR
These are all great suggestions. Guess my personal biases seeped in. I love dove hunting but they are small and quick and a poor wingshoooter could be challenged. Turkey for me has (at least so far) been a less-then-rewarding experience - hot, buggy and without success. And I (and my teenaged son) can't seem to sit as still as is necessary.

From the suggestions so far, I'm thinking squirrels might be a good option for my most recent inquiry.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I agree with this. Mild weather and not having to sit still for long periods of time.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Bucket list. Forget the rookies - heading there for my 50th. Looking at broadhead and custom rifle builds. Or maybe this - https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/50-cal-rifle-shot-show-2020/

Feedback welcome.

Meow were talkin'[/QUOTE]These last posts gave me pause, and this is no wild tale. Apparently this is a real option. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/25/magazine/australia-cat-killing.html

Mods, any chance of a new subforum?

Vince8112

FNG
Rabbits or prairie dogs hands down. Prairie dogs keep them entertained with lots of action.

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
I have taken a lot of new hunters squirrel hunting or duck hunting to get them engaged in it and also see how they like it. Then if they want to continue hunting I’ll take them turkey hunting. I have gotten 5 of my friends into hunting this way and now they are traveling to different states to hunt and always asking me to come along So I feel like they are repaying the favor.