Someone please explain Nightforce NXS illumination to me

SDHNTR

WKR
Can someone tell me why the Digillum (I think that's what it's called) feature on NXS scopes doesn't suck? I have 2 of them and MUCH prefer the illumination on my SHV's where it's actually field adjustable and fast. I'm confused. Why would they offer this in their higher end models if it's not a better option. To me it just seems like a non adjustable (at least not without tools and disassembly) illumination option. What's the advantage in that? What am I missing? Don't we want the ability to rapidly adjust the about of light to the reticle? Isn't that the point of illumination? I'm having a hard time understanding the logic and the benefit behind this feature compared to a simple rotating knob like on most other scopes. I need enlightenment.

Last edited:

RonEgg

FNG
Can someone tell me why the Digillum (I think that's what it's called) feature on NXS scopes doesn't suck? I have 2 of them and MUCH prefer the illumination on my SHV's where it's actually field adjustable and fast. I'm confused. Why would they offer this in their higher end models if it's not a better option. To me it just seems like a non adjustable (at least not without tools and disassembly) illumination option. What's the advantage in that? What am I missing? Don't we want the ability to rapidly adjust the about of light to the reticle? Isn't that the point of illumination? I'm having a hard time understanding the logic and the benefit behind this feature compared to a simple rotating knob like on most other scopes. I need enlightenment.
You’re correct. I have 5 NXS, two of them compacts with the Digillum . Love my 24, ambivalent about the 42 and the others with the set and hope you’ve got it right is incomprehensible!

JCMCUBIC

WKR
There are several different illum options on the NXS scopes, depending on which model and when it was made. I'll only make notes about the ones I use and compare them to an SHV 3-10....there may be other's I'm not familiar with so I can't say anything about them:

1. NXS 2.5-10x32 - I think this is the analog. Dial on the side that turns. I think there are 9 settings (from memory), an off position, and 2 night vision settings. This is quick and easy to adjust. No "off" positions between illumination levels so in low light it's not a good thing to work from bright down to dim while looking through the scope...turn it all the way down then up as needed is you're in low light. The adjustment starts at brightest and work down. Illumination is fairly bright on these and can be useful during the day in shadows and broken backgrounds to a point. In lowest light I feel like the lowest setting is too bright and causes some of the image it wash out which is very irritating to me.

2. NXS 3.5-15x50 - this is an older version on the one I use and the illumination is turned on by pulling out the parallax adjustment cap. Illumination is red. This one is the set and forget type you mentioned and the illum isn't field adjustable. Quick and easy on/off but lack of adjustment is irritating like you mentioned. I haven't played with this one enough in low light or adjusted it yet so I'm not sure how low it goes. I need to do that and likely set it as low as it will go for low light use.

3. SHV 3-10 - I think there are 11 settings on the turn know with off positions between each. I like the design and the off position between each brightness setting. Like the NXS 32 it's fairly bright. I think it would benefit from having a little lower brightness setting for low light but it's pretty good......

4. NXS 2.5-10x42 w/Digillum - Illumination is turned on with a push button on the parralax adjustment. Brightness can be changed by pushing the button again and it will go through the illumination levels. You can also hold the button to change between red and green illumination. Not daylight bright and has a very low illumination level....this is the best in low light that I've used because of how low the illumination can be set so that it's barely visible in low light which doesn't hurt the image.

I prefer the dim settings on the 2.5-10x42 and the option to change between red/green....very nice. The low level settings set this one apart and are the biggest advantage it has....and it's a big pro for low light hunting. The option of using green is also nice.

I prefer the adjustment knob on the SHV with off/on between settings. It's quick and easy....if it had a little lower setting it would be the king.

Pros/cons on each. I need to play with the adjustments on the 3.5-15 to have more insight on how low the settings go. Hope this helps a little bit.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
There are several different illum options on the NXS scopes, depending on which model and when it was made. I'll only make notes about the ones I use and compare them to an SHV 3-10....there may be other's I'm not familiar with so I can't say anything about them:

1. NXS 2.5-10x32 - I think this is the analog. Dial on the side that turns. I think there are 9 settings (from memory), an off position, and 2 night vision settings. This is quick and easy to adjust. No "off" positions between illumination levels so in low light it's not a good thing to work from bright down to dim while looking through the scope...turn it all the way down then up as needed is you're in low light. The adjustment starts at brightest and work down. Illumination is fairly bright on these and can be useful during the day in shadows and broken backgrounds to a point. In lowest light I feel like the lowest setting is too bright and causes some of the image it wash out which is very irritating to me.

2. NXS 3.5-15x50 - this is an older version on the one I use and the illumination is turned on by pulling out the parallax adjustment cap. Illumination is red. This one is the set and forget type you mentioned and the illum isn't field adjustable. Quick and easy on/off but lack of adjustment is irritating like you mentioned. I haven't played with this one enough in low light or adjusted it yet so I'm not sure how low it goes. I need to do that and likely set it as low as it will go for low light use.

3. SHV 3-10 - I think there are 11 settings on the turn know with off positions between each. I like the design and the off position between each brightness setting. Like the NXS 32 it's fairly bright. I think it would benefit from having a little lower brightness setting for low light but it's pretty good......

4. NXS 2.5-10x42 w/Digillum - Illumination is turned on with a push button on the parralax adjustment. Brightness can be changed by pushing the button again and it will go through the illumination levels. You can also hold the button to change between red and green illumination. Not daylight bright and has a very low illumination level....this is the best in low light that I've used because of how low the illumination can be set so that it's barely visible in low light which doesn't hurt the image.

I prefer the dim settings on the 2.5-10x42 and the option to change between red/green....very nice. The low level settings set this one apart and are the biggest advantage it has....and it's a big pro for low light hunting. The option of using green is also nice.

I prefer the adjustment knob on the SHV with off/on between settings. It's quick and easy....if it had a little lower setting it would be the king.

Pros/cons on each. I need to play with the adjustments on the 3.5-15 to have more insight on how low the settings go. Hope this helps a little bit.
Yep. I much prefer the illumination on my SHV’s. It’s better in every way. I just dont understand why that isn’t available in the NXS line as it’s supposedly an upgrade and more expensive than the SHV.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
There is infinite variability of shooting and lighting situations.
Re: 2..5-10 x 42 MOAR.
Digillum has the advantage of low illum light settings minimising washout. Good funtionality is the ability to see holdovers without dialing (important when its too dark to see your dials).
For close up bush stalking in average light I prefer to have full reticle lit on higher light settings. I have not utilised green settings yet.
If you still get washout due to the whole reticle lighting up then go to 5x, dial 20moa and use the tip of the post (you will not be shooting longer range once it gets to this level of darkness).
Pretty straight forward how to turn it on and off (push the button)

Each optic has strengths and weaknesses and the user needs to work out if it suits how they operate. I like the way I can find a solution to a wide range of uses. I use it specifically for hunting from closeup - out to 600+ and lots of change of light use at all ranges. Parallax correction is utilised.
I love the versatility of this optic so for my use it doesnt 'suck'.

I totally get how some prefer other variations, especially if it suits the type of hunting they are doing.
Sometime simple solutions are best. The best low light solution is probably extra large objective and unlit fat duplex but that wont work for precision shooting at 500yds.