Someone please tell me what I’m missing

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
New to hunting, last year was my first season and I was able to tag out on the last day of blacktail season and was a pack mule for my buddy on his Idaho muzzleloader tag. This year I have an elk hunt, spring bear, fall bear and blacktail in the works.

My question is, last year I pretty much used surplus military gear (poly pro’s, windbreaker, waterproof pants, cold weather gear, etc...) that I was able to keep once I got out after a 10 year career in the Army. So what am I missing out on with all the gear I see and hear other guys using and talking about on here. Is there anything inherently better about having the First Light, Kuiu and Sitka stuff? If so, I’ll definitely work it into my budget and work towards getting outfitted, but if there’s nothing “really” better then I’ll just keep running what I’ve got. Thanks for the input!

Lighter weight, more compact, and much more comfortable. What you have obviously works. The high tech stuff just works better. But it also hits the wallet fairly hard.

Nope you are not missing anything. Its a game of using what works until it does not and then upgrade. I have been hunting Oregon for 30 years and cabelas gear worked fine until I wanted something better, lighter weight. A fanny pack worked fine until I shot a deer 2 miles back and drag it out, then I got a Mystery Ranch. Its all about figuring out what working and what's not, then upgrading when you can and choosing what's in the budget.

What was your MOS?

There are ways to get quality stuff at good prices. Wrangler Outdoor Pants from Walmart are great and cost $21. Watch Camofire and pick up a piece here or there when you can. They have BlackOvis Merino Wool on there often at good prices.

Northpark

WKR
I grew up hunting in Walmart clothes. I shot my first elk wearing a pair of Carhardtt pants and a cheap camo shirt wearing $50 cabelas pack. Then had to pack that thing out a mile or so. It worked and it’s what I could afford. I have upgraded and the only real difference in my mind is that I’m not really killing more animals but I do enjoy the whole experience more.

406unltd

WKR
I used my issued gear for a season as well. With that said, I’d get into some purpose built hunting gear as soon as your budget allows. It’s nothing like what you’re using now, and not in a good way. It will work, no doubt about it. In the end it’s what your priorities are. Thanks for your service.

OP
Tremain4414

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
Nope you are not missing anything. Its a game of using what works until it does not and then upgrade. I have been hunting Oregon for 30 years and cabelas gear worked fine until I wanted something better, lighter weight. A fanny pack worked fine until I shot a deer 2 miles back and drag it out, then I got a Mystery Ranch. Its all about figuring out what working and what's not, then upgrading when you can and choosing what's in the budget.

What was your MOS?
I was a 13B

OP
Tremain4414

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks everyone for all the replies. So as far as the top brands, which do you recommend and why? Or are they all pretty comparable and it’s a matter of preference?

Base layers, First Lite. I went with Sitka for everything else, and I am happy. You will get lots of opinions. You may also want to consider top quality boots. In boots I prefer Scarpa, but La Sportiva and Crispi are also very good, along with others.

OP
Tremain4414

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah I did pick up a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX’s for this season...tried running the Walmart special last season and my feet took a pounding out in Idaho so I learned that lesson the hard way

I drive a 1982 Toyota Corolla that I got for basically free. It gets decent mileage and is pretty reliable. The AC doesn't work and a few things are inconvenient like no cruise control and it kinda wobbles over 70 mph but it drives fine. Of course it's old technology and it lacks bluetooth and air bags and stuff like that. But my old car still gets me to work and back. It works.

My question is, is it worth it to upgrade to a newer commuter car? I see people commuting in nicer cars with much higher safety ratings and features, like air bags and crumple zones and auto cruise control and blind spot alerts. Newer cars are much quieter in the cabin and much more comfy with modern materials and features and AC that works and better gas mileage. So are modern cars "really" worth it? Is there anything inherently better about newer nicer cars? Maybe I'll just keep what I got.

Now do that with performance outdoor clothing... Is it inherently worth it?

Last edited:

406unltd

WKR
you’ll find what you like best by testing it for yourself. Fit and function can be personal preference a lot of times. I favor Kryptek and Sitka.

My opinion and definitely a common one, you are missing out on an extremely small performance gain at a very high cost.

Now if you want to add mountaineering gear into the discussion (brands found at REI, steepandcheap, STP, etc) then there is a more noticeable performance gain at less of a steep cost. Look at brands like Outdoor Research, who carry premium gear with better tech than hunting brands and will go on sale more frequently at 40-50% off (and the MSRP is more reasonable in the first place).

Last edited:

Buck197

WKR
Thanks everyone for all the replies. So as far as the top brands, which do you recommend and why? Or are they all pretty comparable and it’s a matter of preference?
Also make sure you check, as veterans we do get discounts on some products/companies.

Buck197

WKR
As a veteran, on gearing up, id advise you, start with the companies showing such great appreciation to us, and enjoy the benefit of your service..use the discount. Vortex, I think Leopold, quite a few offer us discounts, so alot of gear can be relatively comparable to other brands, so if you get a good deal, let it help make your choice.

OP
Tremain4414

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for all the info! I think I’m going to pick up a jacket and pants this year then go from there. I think if I start there and build my collection in the coming seasons my wife won’t immediately lose it haha! I’m new to the forum though and really appreciate how willing everyone’s been to share the love

Buck197

WKR
Thanks for all the info! I think I’m going to pick up a jacket and pants this year then go from there. I think if I start there and build my collection in the coming seasons my wife won’t immediately lose it haha! I’m new to the forum though and really appreciate how willing everyone’s been to share the love
welcome.aboard, fantastic people here. Bless you for your service young man, and good huntin!!