Someone please tell me what I’m missing

Honyock

WKR
Watch the classifieds here and grab a used Sitka , Kuiu or FL piece and try it. I think you will find out why guys use the technical hunting clothes if you do. The problem is that once you use it, you won't use anything else.

OP
Tremain4414
Watch the classifieds here and grab a used Sitka , Kuiu or FL piece and try it. I think you will find out why guys use the technical hunting clothes if you do. The problem is that once you use it, you won't use anything else.
I actually just picked up a few FL items...I’ve heard mixed reviews on FL but they offer a pretty decent military discount so I figured it’d be my best bet to get something higher end and try it out

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
You will be very happy with premium outdoor apparel, but be aware that a higher price tag does not always mean more durable. There's a lot to unpack when it comes to technical apparel, but your priorities should always be fit first, then fabric, then style in that order. Merino wool is phenomenal fabric for base layers and underwear, but does not tend to be extremely durable. Look for wool with nylon blends if you want higher durability. Choose synthetics if you expect to be wet often and need to dry quickly. Remember that your clothing is a system consisting of underwear, base layer (next to skin/sweat wicking), mid layer (insulation), outer layer (shell fabrics for wind/water). The system should be modular to keep you comfortable in a wide range of climates. Breathability, insulation, and moisture management are the reason to upgrade clothing. Lightweight is a bonus. Any piece that impedes breathability and moisture management will prevent the system from working to its potential.

As others have mentioned, you can find equal or superior apparel from premium outdoor/mountaineering/snow brands often at a lower cost. If money is a concern, don't hesitate to buy sale or clearance items from non hunting brands. Camo is less a concern than fit or fabric unless you're hunting turkeys. Otherwise, shopping hunting brands is a good way to support those who support our lifestyle. There are loads of hunting companies putting out quality gear nowadays, but I think First Lite is a solid one stop shop. KUIU, Sitka, and Under Armour are pretty good too. Whatever makes you happy. Do yourself a favor and get some merino base layers next, and throw out any cotton.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
New to hunting, last year was my first season and I was able to tag out on the last day of blacktail season and was a pack mule for my buddy on his Idaho muzzleloader tag. This year I have an elk hunt, spring bear, fall bear and blacktail in the works.

My question is, last year I pretty much used surplus military gear (poly pro’s, windbreaker, waterproof pants, cold weather gear, etc...) that I was able to keep once I got out after a 10 year career in the Army. So what am I missing out on with all the gear I see and hear other guys using and talking about on here. Is there anything inherently better about having the First Light, Kuiu and Sitka stuff? If so, I’ll definitely work it into my budget and work towards getting outfitted, but if there’s nothing “really” better then I’ll just keep running what I’ve got. Thanks for the input!

A lot of the companies provide a military veteran discount you can always ask them which will definitely get you some of the gear at a lower cost. As far as quality gear Kuiu, first lite, and Sitka are top notch like others mentioned. Some gear is ultra lightweight, dries faster, better insulation etc. if your current gear works why change, unless you want to get the latest and greatest gear.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
New to hunting, last year was my first season and I was able to tag out on the last day of blacktail season and was a pack mule for my buddy on his Idaho muzzleloader tag. This year I have an elk hunt, spring bear, fall bear and blacktail in the works.

My question is, last year I pretty much used surplus military gear (poly pro’s, windbreaker, waterproof pants, cold weather gear, etc...) that I was able to keep once I got out after a 10 year career in the Army. So what am I missing out on with all the gear I see and hear other guys using and talking about on here. Is there anything inherently better about having the First Light, Kuiu and Sitka stuff? If so, I’ll definitely work it into my budget and work towards getting outfitted, but if there’s nothing “really” better then I’ll just keep running what I’ve got. Thanks for the input!

Check out Skre gear they do extend a military discount and it’s good quality for a great price. I recently ordered some stuff from them and they gave me free shipping when I called them and no taxes because they are shipping out of state. They are based in Utah I believe and you’ll save some money on not paying sales tax and free shipping if you ask. They always give you free unlimited returns and exchanges as well until you get your right size, other companies charge you for returns or exchanges or at least the shipping.

I didn't read all the other threads.
But some nicer fitting pants with at least 2 way stretch seem way better to me.
Check out the Wrangler outdoor pants. Walmart $22
And for me personally merino is a huge deal.
Personally something in my body type if I sweat out a synthetic shirt within a few hours I smell so bad ill gag.
Being a vet get signed up for the expert voice app.
Lots pretty good great deals on there.

Where are you at in Oregon?

Merino wool baselayers were my biggest 'aha' moment years ago. Then jackets and pants with vents to manage heat. Light packable rain gear and a puffy jacket are always in my pack with spare socks. As long as you're comfortable, no need to drop coin on all kinds of gear imo. If you want to try some out, do get the expert voice account. Quite a few clothing companies there supporting vets/responders.

OP
Tremain4414
I didn't read all the other threads.
But some nicer fitting pants with at least 2 way stretch seem way better to me.
Check out the Wrangler outdoor pants. Walmart $22
And for me personally merino is a huge deal.
Personally something in my body type if I sweat out a synthetic shirt within a few hours I smell so bad ill gag.
Being a vet get signed up for the expert voice app.
Lots pretty good great deals on there.

Where are you at in Oregon?
I’m in the valley, near Salem

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
13M here. Only thing I miss is running cadence songs with the platoon.

EuroOptic offers a military discount, and Maven (another optic company) offers a military discount as well. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider

Maybe some darn tough socks they are awesome quality and guaranteed for life.