Someone took a Gut Shot! - Then walked off...

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Was out hunting pronghorn in southern Colorado on public land. Saw a Male and Female Pronghorn and I also saw a hunter. The bastard took a real long shot. He botched it pretty bad. He just walked straight to his car an left. I watch the whole thing unfold. The pronghorn had blood all over his left hind quarter and there was so stuff hanging out of his gut. We tried to catch up with the guy who took the shot but he really booked it out of there. Really soured the hunt. Wife was with me. She was pretty upset by it all. Unfortunately I had a Doe tag so legally I could not finish the job. Otherwise I would have... When something like this goes down is there something I should do? He may have committed a felony.

Below is what I found after talking with the warden:

I talked to the Warden. He said best thing is if you can get a license plate or accurate vehicle description that helps. Also to call the warden if you have their number. Otherwise call operation game thief. 1665181814254.png
If you want to be the hero just know that if you do shoot and animal and leave it to die that is a felony:
1665182656596.png
Say good bye to hunting and your 2A rights, maybe even your job... Maybe your spouse too. Might be better for the kids to have a parent who can support them. The warden was specific in saying that it was good that I did not shoot the animal. The warden has to enforce the law. If you are caught with an animal and have the wrong tag that is poaching. If you shoot and abandon an animal to put it out of its misery that is a felony. You can tell them your story but they don't have to believe it even if they want to, they have to enforce the law. By them letting you off the hook they themselves have failed to do their job that they have sworn to do. Don't make them risk their job cause you love pronghorns so much. If they let everyone with a story off the hook then poachers will never be prosecuted. In the big picture animals die from a lot worse all the time. From my conversation with the Warden I will simply never break the law and I will report anything I see immediately. I will also make sure I do not make mistakes. If I do I will immediately self report. It is a good idea to call the warden of the GMU you will be hunting in and make contact. In the event you have to self report it is best that you have a relationship with the Warden. It doesn't guarantee anything but it might help. Just don't be the guy who shoots an animal and walks off.

All that being said it is unfortunate for the pronghorn but its "the way she goes" and what is most unsettling isn't the suffering of the animal but the fact that we live in a society where people do shitty things like this. Its every other hunters responsibility to assist the wardens and create a culture which supports the system that allows us all to hunt sustainably.

Last edited:

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado game wardens would take this very serious, probably nothing you can do now, but if you run across one I would certainly let them know, or give them a call if your so inclined with what information you have

MTtrout

WKR
I still would of put it out of its misery and called the warden to explain the situation. Maybe a warden on here could describe the best way to handle it. I saw a similar deal, but the hunter didn’t know what happen, when I was to young to carry a gun and told myself I would never leave an animal like that. If you hit a deer with your vehicle and its laying there with a broken back, would you just leave it? I wouldn’t. I’m not judging how you handled the shitty situation, that really sucks you guys have to witness it

ckleeves

WKR
Get on the spotter and try to pull a license plate number and call the warden asap. Finishing the job is a question best answered by the warden on the same phone call.

rayporter

WKR
when i was in my teens i found a deer on my property that had been shot in the back. it was alive and could probably walk. so i finished it off and called the ohio warden. it was a doe and i was looking for a buck.

he said "you shot it you tag it."

Ucsdryder

WKR
Most public land is small in antelope country. Call warden give description of the guy and truck. Good chance he’s driving around.

I still would of put it out of its misery and called the warden to explain the situation. Maybe a warden on here could describe the best way to handle it. I saw a similar deal, but the hunter didn’t know what happen, when I was to young to carry a gun and told myself I would never leave an animal like that. If you hit a deer with your vehicle and its laying there with a broken back, would you just leave it? I wouldn’t. I’m not judging how you handled the shitty situation, that really sucks you guys have to witness it
I'm with you. Seen fatally injured animals on the side the road and stopped to end their suffering. Never bothered to report anything...just knew it was the right thing to do and that's never wrong.

grfox92

WKR
In that case I would have killed that antelope. It's going to to die no matter what and it's going to rot no matter what.

If I got cited for doing it I would gladly stand before a judge and let them know that I put a mortally wounded animal out of It's misery when someone else left it to die.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to talk to my local office on Monday when they open. I'll let them know what happenend and ask them what I should do in that situation if it ever happens again. I'll post their response. Unfortunately I was unable to get the license plate. The parking lot was at least a half mile from where I was...

Mojave

WKR
You never know.

I shot a doe antelope and she ran out of the public into private. I drove down the road and there was a warden there and I told him what had happened.

He told me to go and find another antelope.

I ended my hunt.

We were driving out and I saw a buck that was 3 legged dragging his shoulder, and turned around and told the warden. He shrugged and said that he would take care of it. Not sure if he did or not.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like it might depend a lot of the warden. I'd rather not ask for forgiveness. Certain violations are actually felonies. Not just a citation, like you can't own a gun outside of a muzzleloader.

def90

WKR
I was just hunting this weekend in SE Colorado as well. Seemed like the strategy was running and gunning. Not a lot of pronghorn to be seen on public and if you were driving down a road and saw one it was a race to see who could get out of their truck and a hundred yards off the road the fastest.

Kind of like OTC elk.. think I'll do what I can in the future to avoid the weekend warriors.

Man that sucks, hate reading stuff like this. Had a roughly similar experience with my middle son on his first antelope hunt. We were crawling on our bellies 600 yards out from a herd and a truck pulled up on the road, had to have seen our orange. He was around 800 or so and plopped down and shot 4 or 5 times. One of the smaller bucks we wouldn't have shot took one to the body kinda far back and was bleeding all over the place running around in circles. The truck drove off shortly after. I told my son I think we need to try to put him down and he agreed to burn his tag on it. We did everything we could to catch up with that antelope but after a couple miles he gave us the slip. I think all these "long distance" YouTube videos screw up some people's morals.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I was just hunting this weekend in SE Colorado as well. Seemed like the strategy was running and gunning. Not a lot of pronghorn to be seen on public and if you were driving down a road and saw one it was a race to see who could get out of their truck and a hundred yards off the road the fastest.

Kind of like OTC elk.. think I'll do what I can in the future to avoid the weekend warriors.
I'm in the same boat. I am hunting weekends because I started a new job. Next year I'm taking a few days off in the middle of the week. Just too many hunters.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Man that sucks, hate reading stuff like this. Had a roughly similar experience with my middle son on his first antelope hunt. We were crawling on our bellies 600 yards out from a herd and a truck pulled up on the road, had to have seen our orange. He was around 800 or so and plopped down and shot 4 or 5 times. One of the smaller bucks we wouldn't have shot took one to the body kinda far back and was bleeding all over the place running around in circles. The truck drove off shortly after. I told my son I think we need to try to put him down and he agreed to burn his tag on it. We did everything we could to catch up with that antelope but after a couple miles he gave us the slip. I think all these "long distance" YouTube videos screw up some people's morals.
Long range shooting of game should be illegal. It's fine for targets but anything past 400 is marksmanship not hunting. It's un sportsman like. Especially pronghorn. There a just too many variables in the field. Even if you're a great shot. It's not worth it. I just think it's inappropriate even if you can make the shot.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
While I'd like to just put an animal out of its misery, I would call a warden first. From what I've heard, "I was just putting him down" is a pretty common excuse when caught shooting an animal that you don't have a tag for.

Pictures and a call to the warden to report is about all you can do.

Mojave

WKR
We can't even pick up skulls in New Mexico.

Our Wardens would tear you a new one if you shot an animal you didn't have a tag for.

BBob

WKR
We can't even pick up skulls in New Mexico.

Our Wardens would tear you a new one if you shot an animal you didn't have a tag for.
Same for vehicle hit/wounded. Have to leave them to suffer otherwise you'll be in the crap if you shoot it and get caught.