Something different...Capercallie

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
I just got home from a hunt on Kamchatka peninsula eastern Russia. Had no Idea I could get one but when I learned it was available I was "in".

Didn't see any sign in the trees or tracks for several days. Then...TRACKS! Went their direction and two males ahead picking up speed. Then they flew to the trees. I didn't know how spooky they were so approached cautiously. Then both flew 75 yards to different trees.

I angled towards them slowly. Being in white I'm sure helped. Got to 25 yards before first one flushed. Then I was ready....flush....BOOM! Sent the load of #2's his way. Bingo...BIRD DOWN!

Pretty cool birds. Highly prized. Glad I was successful.

That's awesome. I've always thought those were super cool birds. Any idea what he weighed?

What was the main target of your trip? I've heard the waterfowl on Kamchatka is incredible.

Congrats on your bird....they look a bit like a giant blue (dusky) grouse in your photo.

I've eaten then when on a trip to Northern Finland and Sweden 20 some years ago (forgot which country, but think Sweden). They are considered a great delicacy, and were served with a cloud berry sauce. Excellent meat as I remember! The locals described them as almost turkey size.

VernAK

WKR
Very interesting bird!
I've heard stories of Scandinavians hunting them in moonlight.
What do you think he weighed?.........7-8 pounds?

OP
dukxdog

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
They weigh 8-10 pounds. They have dark meat with similar taste to sharptail grouse. Getting one was a real bonus to my trip.

OP
dukxdog

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome. I've always thought those were super cool birds. Any idea what he weighed?

What was the main target of your trip? I've heard the waterfowl on Kamchatka is incredible.
I went there for Brown bear. Got an old bear. He was missing teeth and had several bad cavities. Lots of snow with active volcanoes close by. Interesting country and a good adventure.

Attachments

• IMG_1459.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1511.jpg
    IMG_1511.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 57