Something interesting happened with my down puffy

ChrisAU

WKR
Huh interesting approach, I presume you do this due the suspenders?

I wear a belt so I just drop my outer layer to down to ankles, unzip the baselayer and just pull my pants back up. Never timed myself but certainly <1min if needed to just drop pack, pull those off and stuff into a pocket on the pack and put it back on.

Anyways the point is don't be that guy thats all "hey hold up I need to sit down and take my boots off to swap my baselayer" ;).

Yes, although I take care to keep the suspenders on the outside when on the move, only put insulation over them at camp or glassing. You can get in trouble fast if suspenders are under a jacket, bino harness, and pack and your stomach rolls :ROFLMAO:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a kuiu kenai, its got a soft face fabric that stretches a bit and breathes some.

Not a kuiu fan boy to be clear since we've hit on a few of the layers I use that are kuiu but I do have a moderate amount of their layers due to the features, but I'll absolutely use anything that I come across that serves my needs. They hit the mark on some pieces and not on others in my opinion.

If I'm sweating my butt off, the last thing I want is more insulation. I'd wait until you stop sweating so much to throw it on. Even if that's just slower walking for awhile. It also sounds like you had too many layers on to begin with to be sweating like that. Winter hunting is a fine line around the sweat zone. I try to wear the minimum starting out and then speed up to stay warm, and slow down to control the sweat level.
I agree with this completely. To many layers and working to hard. Remove one of those layers, slow down a bit, and wait before putting on the puffy.
18° last week and I wore 2 layers plus a jacket. Approximate 145 weight wool base, kuiu 200 peloton or FL Halstead, Chinook or skre hardscrabble jacket. P pants were attacks or Chinook or FL corrugate. Get a little sweaty and let it dry a bit, no need for puffy.

Last edited:

duchntr

WKR
Yea get yourself a synthetic puffy if you are going to be cooking yourself dry. Btw I do the same thing with a synthetic and has worked great for years. When I stop to glass for a long sit, BEFORE I start getting cold I throw my puffy on, doing this traps all the heat I gained and cooks my base layer dry. This is one of the reasons I do not use down as my primary INS piece on long trips.