something new for out west?

brsnow

WKR
30 cals are a better option for elk IMO. 6.5 creedmoor will work, but if you want another rifle, why not buy one. 30-06 or a 300 with a muzzlebreak would be my choice. I am glad that the 6.5 creedmoor will kill anything within a mile thought process is finally wearing off.

Historically have used a .308. Also 6.5 7mm-08 the last few years. What real range extension do you get with a 30-06 on elk vs the others I have used listed above?

Not a range extension but rather a more humane kill and more room for error. Read up on some of member BROZ's field observation differences in 30 cal elk kills vs. 7mm elk kills. His observation has been the same as mine.

Last edited:

brsnow

WKR
Not a range extension but rather a more humane kill and more room for error. Read up on some of member BROZ's field observation differences in 30 cal elk kills vs. 7mm elk kills. His observation has been the same as mine.

Thank you, I have numerous .30 cal and some 7mm/6.5. I don’t mind relying on my own observations. I misread your initial post, it seemed to suggest there was a difference. Thank you.

Titan_Bow

WKR
If you want an excuse for a new rifle then by all means get a new rifle, don’t let an Internet forum sway you one way or the other. I will say, the 6.5 is not too little gun for elk though. If I were specifically looking for an elk gun, it might not be what I’d choose, but if I were going to go elk hunting and that’s all I had, I would not hesitate. I know the 6.5 Creedmoor gets a lot of hate on these forums, but when I bought one for my son, i really weighed out all the available options and feel I made an informed decision. My son shot a big cow this year, at 200 yards with 143 eldx Hornady Precision Hunter and absolutely hammered her. She dropped in her tracks. I shot a bull with a 270 WSM and 140gr Nosler Accubonds, at 300yards and he dropped in his tracks as well. I think some of this stuff we tend to overthink sometimes. Get a new gun because it’s fun and enjoyable to get a new gun, but don’t feel like it’s necessary because your current equipment is not up to the task, because it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk