Something to commemorate passing hunters ed?

cnelk

WKR
I got my son this rifle - in black - when he was 9.

Stainless steel barrel, fiber optic sights, composite stock
Its a tack drivin, fun little gun! For both kids and adults.

My daughter (11) will be taking her hunters safety soon. She has been out turkey hunting with me, training our GSP pup and helps me hang stands in Summer. Shot her first 22 this weekend as we ran our pup.
When she passes, I plan on getting her a membership to RMEF as well as framing her HS certificate for her room.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got my son this rifle - in black - when he was 9.

Stainless steel barrel, fiber optic sights, composite stock
Its a tack drivin, fun little gun! For both kids and adults.

Right now I have a little savage rascal (like that mini you posted) and a bull barrel 10/22 (which he can shoot well off bags/bipod) but those are guns that are mine (the rascal is for a grouse project) in the long run. So a 10/22 (or clone) semi-auto OR that ruger american rimfire compact could have some appeal as something he'd carry forward. That ruger compact can be switched to a larger stock. I like the idea of a bolt action for more practice on that front (and I tend to feel it a bit safer for a younger shooter since you have to purposely chamber a round after each shot) but can't argue with the plinking fun of a semi-auto either...

A decent knife with his name & year he took his hunter's safety would be great. As he's only 10 right now you might feel more comfortable letting him use it when he's supervised such as when you go camping or when he gets his first deer. Depending on the kid, maybe a year or two. Benchmade makes a nice knife that is large enough but too large to do a variety of tasks. It's called the mini-barrage. It has two locking mechanisms to prevent the blade accidentally closing on you and it's a great little knife. I used mine this last fall to help my guide when we skinned my grizzly bear. The blade is 2.9 inches long and works very well. Lifetime treasure. Actual in-store price is about $130.00.

CZ makes some great rifles in .22 LR. One of those would be a lifetime treasure also. I purchased one and it is the most accurate 22 I have ever owned. It has a 2-7x Leupold rimfire scope on it. With most ammo 5 shot groups at 50 yards are 1/2" to about 3/4". The model I bought is the 455 but it is no longer made. Now it's called the model 457. Great looking .22's.

cz-457-american-combo

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to say a small (~3" ish blade) personalized knife...

What about a pair of binoculars? Something light and small like an 8x30? Usable now and as an adult as back up, tree stand, timber, archery stalking bino....

Last edited:

zacattack

WKR
I know hunters ED is a tiny hurdle in the grand scheme but just spent the weekend with my soon to be 10yr old thru the class (6 & 8 yr old in subsequent years, doing them 1 by 1 as they approach 10). But I was proud he took it seriously and kept most of the antsyness a boy that age has at bay during the longer class duration. He was taking notes and worried about passing (which he easily did). Anyways just thinking it might be nice to get something that he'll remember down the line. Not ready to give him a knife yet, I've already got a lineup of kid friendly rifles I've been setting up in preparation. Any cool ideas out there?

If he’s into turkey hunting a nice custom made call with something engraved on it to commemorate passing.

ShakeDown

WKR
As I work on my coffee, although I said didn't need a rifle I had my big game brain on. Couple gaps/potential areas: I could get him his own 22lr (I have a couple) but one that he keeps. Also I only have a 12ga shotgun on hand, so a 20ga could be a consideration for him.

I received my first rifle after passing hunter ed at the age of 9. Before that it was always using dad’s guns. That was 24 years ago now but I’ll never forget scoring better than my old man on the written test (he retook the class with me) and us getting Subway after (we did not eat out often), getting home and unwrapping my first rifle.

Single shot break action 12g, thing kicked like a mule but many a rabbit/dove/quail fell to it. Still sits in the safe with the single shot 22lr I got that Christmas.

My old man took me Pheasant hunting on one of the private pheasant farm places, only time we have ever been, depending on the state I believe they can be year round operations. I’ve been a hunter ed instructor for 3 years now and seeing the kids taking the class and participating is incredible, it is so rewarding. I’d say 50-60% of attendees are under 18 and the last 3 courses the majority have been girls which is so awesome. Watching these kids getting involved gives me hope for the future

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think I have talked myself into a Ruger American Compact, I feel it’ll be fun, a bit safer walking around (doesn’t auto load after a shot), translate to big game a bit (chamber unloaded hiking, working the bolt to load when it’s time and subsequently reload). It’s something as an adult I would be happy to have.

For semi-auto plinking he can use mine and/or save his money for his own if he gets that much interest.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Take him hunting a get him a big old bull to put on the wall. That's what I did for my daughter. She'll have that for the rest of her life to remember hunter's ed and her first hunt.

new matching weatherby's :) you know because any reason for that is a good reason.

seriously i like the idea of a good ole knife. something that could last forever. doesnt need to be fancy, an old timer or a swiss army knife (which you can get engraved)

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
What about a lifetime license? It may end up costing a small fortune, and won't mean as much as a shiny new gun, knife, etc. but down the line it'll mean a lot more each and every year.

This is easily the best answer so far. Add up the money in a person’s lifetime spent on a specific license. I wish I’d done it years ago in ND for deer or small game. I moved years ago and spend what it would’ve cost me after about 6 years of buying NR licenses.

Lifetime license is THE answer. Tangible item that will also create memories!

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Take him hunting a get him a big old bull to put on the wall. That's what I did for my daughter. She'll have that for the rest of her life to remember hunter's ed and her first hunt.

Can’t till 2022, he’s 10 for this season. I will look into Nebraska deer opportunities for him this year.

87TT

WKR
I think I have talked myself into a Ruger American Compact, I feel it’ll be fun, a bit safer walking around (doesn’t auto load after a shot), translate to big game a bit (chamber unloaded hiking, working the bolt to load when it’s time and subsequently reload). It’s something as an adult I would be happy to have.

For semi-auto plinking he can use mine and/or save his money for his own if he gets that much interest.
Just FYI, we have Ruger American 22's for our youth program at the local club. They make and we got single round magazines for them. Essentially making them single shot 22's. Safer for training IMO. The mags are the same as 10-22's.