Something to commemorate passing hunters ed?

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just FYI, we have Ruger American 22's for our youth program at the local club. They make and we got single round magazines for them. Essentially making them single shot 22's. Safer for training IMO. The mags are the same as 10-22's.

Roger that. Do the youth handle them well?

87TT

WKR
We also have some Crickets for the smaller kids. The Americans are full size and your son will be able to use it his whole life and if he isn't real small, he should be fine. Ours are the regular size, not the compact.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We also have some Crickets for the smaller kids. The Americans are full size and your son will be able to use it his whole life and if he isn't real small, he should be fine. Ours are the regular size, not the compact.

I have a savage rascal for the short short term if the compact ruger american rimfire is still a little heavy (but quickly won't be).

22lr or a nice bb/pellet gun would be awesome. My favorite memories as a child were shooting my bb gun in the backyard. It translated nicely to my 22lr and then to my big game rifles as well.

A small pair of binoculars would go a long ways too. The 8x30 B3 Mavens would let him grow up with those binos for a really long time.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Since you're from CO I'll assume you elk hunt and probably have some ivories laying around. Make him a necklace out of one. Nothing fancy, maybe just a leather necklace and drill a hole through the top of the ivory to loop it through. You could even engrave / etch his initials and the date on the back. It will show him that you're proud enough of his accomplishment to spend your time making something for him by hand and he'll likely hang on to it for the rest of his life.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
22lr or a nice bb/pellet gun would be awesome. My favorite memories as a child were shooting my bb gun in the backyard. It translated nicely to my 22lr and then to my big game rifles as well.

A small pair of binoculars would go a long ways too. The 8x30 B3 Mavens would let him grow up with those binos for a really long time.

I have binos on hand already to cover their hand size increasing and responsibility to be trusted with better glass: 8x32 endeavor ED, 8x42 endeavor ED, 8x42 Zeiss conquest hd. With 3 up and coming I've been tucking away hand me downs and/or capitalizing on sales/rebate stacking when deals crossed my path.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Since you're from CO I'll assume you elk hunt and probably have some ivories laying around. Make him a necklace out of one. Nothing fancy, maybe just a leather necklace and drill a hole through the top of the ivory to loop it through. You could even engrave / etch his initials and the date on the back. It will show him that you're proud enough of his accomplishment to spend your time making something for him by hand and he'll likely hang on to it for the rest of his life.

I could certainly do that in addition.

Rich M

WKR
I know hunters ED is a tiny hurdle in the grand scheme but just spent the weekend with my soon to be 10yr old thru the class (6 & 8 yr old in subsequent years, doing them 1 by 1 as they approach 10). But I was proud he took it seriously and kept most of the antsyness a boy that age has at bay during the longer class duration. He was taking notes and worried about passing (which he easily did). Anyways just thinking it might be nice to get something that he'll remember down the line. Not ready to give him a knife yet, I've already got a lineup of kid friendly rifles I've been setting up in preparation. Any cool ideas out there?

He doesn't need a mile marker for every little thing he does - tell him he did a good job, ask if he wants DQ on the way home.

Make a big deal out of buying the hunting license and tell him he earned it. You're gonna go broke buying him and the others hunting stuff over the years anyway.

He doesn't need a mile marker for every little thing he does - tell him he did a good job, ask if he wants DQ on the way home.

Make a big deal out of buying the hunting license and tell him he earned it. You're gonna go broke buying him and the others hunting stuff over the years anyway.

He doesn't need it, but things like that can be extremely meaningful, even if they are simple. One of the most meaningful gifts I ever received was actually a simple card. It was from my Uncle, and he gave it to me after I graduated college (I was a HS drop out). It said "Triumph is Umph added to Try". More importantly, he included a short personal message about how proud my mother would be of me and ended it with a "Bravo Zulu" (we were both Navy men). So you don't have to break the bank.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

He doesn't get mile markers for everything. But hunting is a major activity his dad does so this is a stepping stone thing in my world a bit. Getting him his own 22lr that he can hunt small game with and keep the rifle doesn't seem overkill in my mind.

There won't be any license to buy to go on a hunt (aside from coyotes) as most of our small game is shut down or about to shut down.

Rich M

WKR
I didn't read all the posts. Wasn't trying to be snotty just the way it came out. As a kid my reward was simply being able to go.

Nothing wrong with a 22, a great gift for him. I kinda thought he already had one. He'll love it.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I didn't read all the posts. Wasn't trying to be snotty just the way it came out. As a kid my reward was simply being able to go.

Nothing wrong with a 22, a great gift for him. I kinda thought he already had one. He'll love it.

Initially I said I had rifles covered but then started thinking a bit more, the 22s I have they can use right now are ones I plan to keep. So getting him "his" seemed like a good idea. I have 3 aged close (currently 6/8/9) and they have to do a lot of sharing (worse for his younger brother getting a stream of hand me downs) so hopefully this is a special memory.

Rich M

WKR
That'll work. You can start the tradition into manhood w hunter safety then a 22 rifle. You kids will probably keep that one going with your grands in the future.

Be nice for them each to have their own. Means a lot.

6 pack was already mentioned.

I was gonna say a Playboy, tho I don't know that they still make them.

Your choice. Those two are the only things that seem proper.

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
Most adorable little thing. My wife and I shot a bear this year and sadly my little guy was busted up from the monkey bars lol, and wasn’t there. He wasn’t happy about the couch surfing with a broken collar bone. We never said a thing, and gave him his hunters Ed course for Christmas. In addition we had the bear skull done in euro to commemorate his accomplishment, just for him. Tears in his little eyes he was so happy. Fast forward to two weeks ago !!! The little dude has been taking a carving class in old fashioned soap stone after school. I had no idea what he was making or working on. God bless his little heart, he carved his step papa ( me ) a beautiful bear for my office desk .... what a magical surprise. He said I’ll have my licence by summer right papa? I say yes sir pal .... he said imma shoot a bear with you one day right papa.... I saids yes sir pal !!

Give him your time brother, cause that’s what’s gonna stick !!!
Give him your time !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCsteve

WKR
My 10 year old daughter just finished her hunter’s ed (called the CORE here in BC) this week end with a perfect score so I know how you feel. Important to get those kids out there.

qwerksc

WKR
What about a lifetime license? It may end up costing a small fortune, and won't mean as much as a shiny new gun, knife, etc. but down the line it'll mean a lot more each and every year.
I did this for my boys, they will thank you one day.

jb1842

FNG
In my wife's hunter ed class, they shot clay pigeons. When I picked her up, she said she wanted to buy a shotgun. She had one about 2 hours later. But I'm the only one who has taken any game with it.